Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

coil?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
could anyone give me advice about it? if you've had it tryed it whats it like?

its just im thinking about having it but i want to know all the good and all the bad things about it! :)

Comments

• Options
    i used to have the mirena, and it was fab. You can keep it in for 5 years, but i had mine out after 3 cos i wanted a baby. it made my periods really light- practically non existant. I would get it again, and probably will do after ive had another baby, as i hate having to remember to take the pill. You do hear horror stories about the old fashioned copper coils, and i wouldnt get one of those as they make your periods longer and more painful, and ive heard stories about them perforating the uterus, but ive never heard any bad stuff about the mirena.
  • Options
    Are u allowed 2 use the coil before you've had kids?
  • Options
    Originally posted by pentunia apple
    Are u allowed 2 use the coil before you've had kids?

Yes, but not all of the different types are suitable (too big etc). Worth chatting it over with your local family planning clinic.
  • Options
    I will. Thanks!! Thats actually made me really happy. Have been having problems with the pill for years!!
  • Options
    rainbowbrite how is the mirena different from the coil?
  • Options
    its different because it is plastic with a tiny reservoir of progestogen in the body of the coil which releases it gradually over a 5 year period, which increases its contraceptive properties, and that is what reduces ypour periods too. It stops the egg being released, it makes the womb lining too thin for an egg to attach (on the off chance that a egg was released) and it also makes the cervical mucous thicker so sperm are less likely to get up there in the first place. So its got all those extra things as well as the contraceptive qualities of just having a coil in your womb. The progestogen doesnt affect the body in as many ways as it might if taken orally in the pill form, as it only requires a minute amount because it is working in the precise area it is needed.
    Blimey i cant believe i remembered all that. Its been a few years since ive had it, so please correct me if im wrong someone.
  • Options
    do you have to have it for 5 years? or can you have it taken out before?
    and one more question, sorry, it doesnt stop you from having kids because ive heard some bad things :)
  • Options
    I had mine taken out after 3 years, because i wanted a baby, but you can keep it in for UP to 5 years. I fell pregnant within 2 months of having it taken out, so it didnt affect my fertility at all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I had mine taken out after 3 years, because i wanted a baby, but you can keep it in for UP to 5 years. I fell pregnant within 2 months of having it taken out, so it didnt affect my fertility at all.

ok thank you! i might have that, knowing my look something will go wrong :)
  • Options
    i would never get the coil ive heard bad things although thats not always the case.
  • Options
    what have you heard?
  • Options
    there are bad things that can happen. having a coil does increase the risk of infection. With the old fashioned copper coils which didnt offer as much protection, very occasionaly people would get pregnant with the coil still in, which could be dangerous.
  • Options
    what types of infection?
  • Options
    dont know, any kind of womb infection i guess, as the strings of the coil would theoretically provide a way into the womb for bacteria. I dont know how common it is or anything, and its not something that happened to me. I think infections are only a problem if left undiagnosed, youd probably know if you got one, and could get antibiotics.
  • Options
    thankz :)