Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm on 12k pa and am about to leave my job and my work have advertised it in the paper for 16K minimum, more if experience. That was all I wanted to say.

Comments

• Options
    Well, 12k @ 19 y/o is definitely not bad going!

I took two years of university, and did a placement year @ 12k (aged 22). Two years later, I was expecting a similar pay give or take £500 at the age of 24. At present, this was certainly not going to happen. I have so far made 109 job applications ranging from Nat. minimum wage (bugger-all qualifications) up to around £14k with a minimum of 5 A-C GCSEs (I have 9 A-C + 4 A-levels + degree). It is ultimately catch 22, as I'm overqualified for the menial roles and not experienced enough for the £14k roles, even though the average graduate wage is £15k+.

Experience-wise, you may want to check out my thread on Work Prep / Work Trials. (posted earlier on today in this forum).

Mrs Random, what genre of job are you after?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    Well, 12k @ 19 y/o is definitely not bad going!

I took two years of university, and did a placement year @ 12k (aged 22). Two years later, I was expecting a similar pay give or take £500 at the age of 24. At present, this was certainly not going to happen. I have so far made 109 job applications ranging from Nat. minimum wage (bugger-all qualifications) up to around £14k with a minimum of 5 A-C GCSEs (I have 9 A-C + 4 A-levels + degree). It is ultimately catch 22, as I'm overqualified for the menial roles and not experienced enough for the £14k roles, even though the average graduate wage is £15k+.

Experience-wise, you may want to check out my thread on Work Prep / Work Trials. (posted earlier on today in this forum).

Mrs Random, what genre of job are you after?
    Thanks for that! I was pleased with my pay when I got my job it just pissed me off to think that someone else will be getting lots more money for doing exactly the same thing! I was, well at the moment still am, working as a Research Assistant in a Science lab. I'm leaving to go to Brazil to work as a volunteer for no money but it wasn't the money that bothered me at my current work place it was the principle.

Good luck with getting a graduate job. I'm sure you'll end up with a job you deserve in the end even if it takes a lt of time and rejection before the right opportunity comes along

After Brazil I am going to go to university so I'll get to face that one too in a few years from now. Hopefully the job market will have improved by then!:)
  • Options
    The advert went in the paper on Thursday (23.01.03) and already they've received 60+ CV's. That's kind of scary don't you think :eek:
  • Options
    60 CVs? That sounds a lot.

In the last six months, I have attended 5 job interviews. Each interview had the following number of candidates:

9, 12, 4, 13, 4

So in the first one, I was 1 of 9 etc. It makes you wonder how many CVs each employer gets in order to screen for those numbers written above.

Randomgirl: Even though the pay wasn't bad for your age, I can't imagine your feelings when you found out that your job was advertised with a much higher wage. My step-mother was made redundant in 1997 as a secretary in a waterworks company. Shortly after, she found that her post was re-advertised. Both your case and my step-mothers should be outlawed.
  • Options
    I thought it was illegal to make someone redundant, and refill the same job with another person.

They can re-employ the same person, but if a person is redundant, then surely another person doing (solely) the same job would be redundant too?
    I think something similar happened to the tutors at the college I used to attend. Not sure if they got away with it, though!

As for advertising the post with a greater salary...unless it involves extra/more demanding work, then they shouldn't be able to get away with it (unless the greater salary is in line with inflation, and should, therefore be the same as your final salary).
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    I thought it was illegal to make someone redundant, and refill the same job with another person.
    She didn't mention redundancy :confused:

16k sounds good, why don't you apply for it? ;):p

Joking aside, I'd be gutted. Sounds like you're better off leaving them if they're that snide.
  • Options
    Originally posted by barbie
    She didn't mention redundancy :confused:

My comment was with reference to Monserrat's post.
  • Options
    It's only illegal if they DON'T get your permission to advertise the role within 6 months of your departure.
  • Options
    Time and time again i'm shocked when i hear proof that i'm actually pretty well paid.

I spend most of my time at work bitching cos i'm getting 5K less than the next lowest paid person in the department.

OK, i'm a couple of years younger, but most of them have the same level of relevent training, and they certainly don't do a huge amount more than me (ok, 1 exception to both of those).

I think the problem is that i was stupid enough to agree to the pay scale they offered. :(