Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fat chance.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
NEW YORK (CNN) - A lawsuit claiming McDonald's restaurant is responsible for making people obese has been dismissed, according to federal Judge Robert Sweet.

*check out the Judge's name. heeee

Anyways, what do we think. They basically ruled that people have a responsibility for themselves. In other words, if you know McDonald's is making you fat....don't go there.

I'm against laws we don't need. As it is, McDonald's might put a warning on their food saying something like if you eat too much you'll get fat. Well, duh.:crazyeyes

Comments

• Options
    The judge made the right decision. McDonalds or any other fast food chain don't force their customers to enter their premises.
  • Options
    True. Dont forget that most people in modern western society also do not exercise as they should. The increase in sedentary living and the high fatty content of fast food make a bad combo!

In the end its the fault of the individual if they become a fat slob as much as its the fault of smokers if they develop lung cancer. Unfortunately the courts gave in all too easily against the tobacco companies.
  • Options
    Maybe there is a case though for preventing the encouragement of unhealthy lifestyles.........

A ban on advertising for McD's and others?
  • Options
    There's an idea. We banned tobacco advertising, why not fast food too?
  • Options
    Problem is we need food and not cigs.

Practically all food is bad for you in some way, it might be a dangerous precedent.......
  • Options
    I wouldnt ever go as far as calling anything McD's serves as food! lol.

More like edible plastic
  • Options
    Mickey D's is like a drug. You get hooked on a certain taste. Kinda like a salt lick they give horses. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    can't advertise fags. can't smoke in public. can't go hunting. stop advertising burgars! must have planning permission. wow!!!!
    how many things are we going to be told we can no longer do?
    we want less interference in our lives not more. my son won't be able to go fishing soon for fucks sake. in california you can no longer have a fag in your own garden if the nieghbour protests your smoke is drifting across his garden or into his open window.
    he can call the police. legislate legislate legislate. stop and think for yourselves.
  • Options
    Your post Roll reminds me of this crap movie by Stallone, Demolition Man. Your usual shoot-them-up shite film but it had one good point in it.

Stallone was frozen up as a punishment for being a violent cop but was eventually revived in 2050 or so. As opposed to the usual futuristic film in which mankind has been devastated by nuclear war or famine, the world in 2050 was perfect and crime-free.

But what seemed to be a perfect existence turned up to be shite as Stallone discovers that pretty much everything that is considered bad or inadequate has been banned. No swearing, no alcohol, no cigarettes, no salt (bad for cholesterol), no burgers, no physical contact even to shake hands...

12 years ago it all seemed very silly but I watched the movie again the other day and suddenly it wasn't such a silly concept. If the trend continues cigarettes will be banned before the end of the decade. At this pace alcohol will follow, as no doubt will salt, full fat milk, lard and swearing.
  • Options
    Oh fuck.

Well I guess I'll just pack up now, with my fags, glass of JD and salted peanuts then Aladdin.

You can keep the lard though, if it's all the same to you... ;)