Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

My prayers are with the troops.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I trust Tony Blair and George Bush that we need to go to war against Iraq. And I respect all of the Troops from the brave countries who are fighting for our freedom. And I'm so glad there's dedicated people in my country in the FBI and CIA who are doing what they can to prevent more attacks from the world's Muslim radical fringe. The war is not good for the careers of Bush or Blair so they must know something or have assessed some risk. I don't think this is the main way to fight terror.

Iraq has many dual use plants. One produces Castor oil and ricin. A bio-tech lab could fit into a trailer and driven on highways. The UN inspections won't work and Saddam is refusing a very simple proof:

If you destroyed the weapons the world knows you had in the 80's and 90's, show the UN inspectors where you destroyed them and they will find fragments. Iraq refuses.

Way back in the 70's, France sold Iraq a nuclear power plant for $250,000 as well as devices that could be used for making bombs. So it's no surprise that they have a sweet deal regarding Iraqi oil. If the war is about oil at all...it's the oily hands of France.

Odd how the oh so compassionate peace movement doesn't care about the lives they put at risk in the West by being Saddam's puppets.

Comments

• Options
    Maybe because the peace movement has ceased to consider either Blair or Bush as credible in what they allege as the nature of the Iraqi threat, for which they have never produced one shred of convincing evidence all under the convenient and all too oft heard lie of "national secuirty".

Now for you to just believe that they must know something simply because its potentially a threat to them politically is to vastly overestimate the public's ability to see what is really going on and to grossly underestimate the arsenal of dirty tricks which Washington has at its finger tips to sway public sentiment however they wish when the time is right.

This crisis with Iraq has nothing whatsoever to do with the WoT and everything to do with Bush's intractible intention to make up for daddy's mistake the first time around. This war is a personal vendetta and we, the general public, are bankrolling him to do it whether we agree or not.
  • Options
    Re: My prayers are with the troops.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    I trust Tony Blair and George Bush that we need to go to war against Iraq. And I respect all of the Troops from the brave countries who are fighting for our freedom.
    The threat posed by Iraq has been massivley hyped up inorder to justify war! Even senior American politicians have said that Iraq would never dare use a weapon of mass destruction against another country in an act of aggression. Only that there might be a major threat should the Iraqi regime team up with a terrorist group like Al Qaeda. The threat is based of speculation about what ifs! While it is good to guard against threats war shouldn't be used in a pre emptive way to eliminate potential threats. Containment has worked. Iraq doesn't posses nuclear weapons today after 12 years since the last Gulf War because the policy of containment has worked.

Going to war with Iraq would have terrible consequences for the Iraqi people. That is for sure it would be one hell of a war involving massive loss of life, injury and destruction to property. How would that make America and Britain look in the eyes of the international community especially among radical arab muslims who would be clammering to join Al Qaeda and any other fanatical terrorist group after our countries had wrecked such devastation on another arab country.

There is also a lot of work still to be done in the Middle East the Palestinian problem needs to be sorted out because while Israel is still occupying and oppressing the Palestinians with American funded arms due to Americas 5 billion in aid a year there will be no peace in the Middle East. We need to sort out this and get a proper peace proccess going and give the Palestinians justice.

This coming war with Iraq is a misguided war which will only bring enormous death and destruction to one of the poorest nations on earth. The failure of the war on Afghanistan which failed to smash the Al Qaeda network shows that you cant just use brute force to solve the worlds problems! I would ask all those young men and women now in the armed forces to think seriously about the consequnces of this war and to refuse to fight as this is not a just war!
    http://www.stopwar.org.uk
  • Options
    Interesting point raised on BBC Newsnight last night was this.

Isnt it curious how the USSR, which had a fully capable arsenal of destruction at its disposal, was successfully contained for over 40 years, yet a minor league player like Saddam and his rubble strewn country cannot be contained and must be destroyed? :rolleyes:

Seems, by and large, that the West has clearly forgotten this in its mad urgent rush to stomp on someone for the benefit of the MIC.

Hypocrisy and lies and propaganda are the order of the day it seems!
  • Options
    hey piss in the pot, i salute you. i dont always agree with you. or dissagree with you. for 16/17 your one hell of a bloke.
  • Options
    MOK YOU REALLY MAKE ME FEEL GOOD SOMETIMES.

Sometimes, I'm just doing what we do in school. Take an extreme side of a debate to get the debate going...like about Europeans. But I meant what I said here.
  • Options
    pnj, MoK never posted anyhting in this thread, MR did though. ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    pnj, MoK never posted anyhting in this thread, MR did though. ;)

I'm not sure who will be more insulted by the comparison ;)

I'm not that old...

Anyway, my "prayers" are with whoever is sitting on the sharp end of a lethal weapon - Iraqi or US/UK.
  • Options
    sorry MOK... Man of Kent. and MR. :confused: