Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Time Nato has an anti-terror swat team?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
After the incident with a small army taking over the theater in Moscow, the US has been pushing NATO to create, and man and arm, a small army that would be able to quickly deploy to a terrorist incident where there are many terrorists in Europe or one that was a threat to Europe anywhere in the world. (The US signed a treaty at Canada's request that basically said that the US must respond to a terrorist army within Canada.)

So what do we think?

Comments

• Options
    Yes, it's called the SAS.
    Virtually every nation has a small, commano unit, capable of protecting assets within its home nation. To create a massive centralised version would add unnecessary delay to a situation that needs haste.
  • Options
    Part of the increasing role for the EU EDSP (European Security and Defence Policy) headed by Javier Solana (ex NATO Sec Gen and current High Representative for CSFP (Common Foreign and Security Policy) is the European Rapid Reaction Force.

This elite corps is being established with the assistance of NATO in terms of capabilities and logistical methodologies. Last word I had was that it was being estimated at roughly 60,000 troops. This would be deployable only within Europe though, as far as I have heard to date.

Whether this RFF would also be used for Anti-Terrorism remains to be seen, its initial conceptualisation grew out of the Bosnia and Kosovo conflicts where it was seen that Europe needed its own force which could intervene in European Regional conflicts quickly without requiring US assistance (Although as said above, NATO logistical support is still currently being relied upon).
  • Options
    makes sense to me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Yes, it's called the SAS.

My thoughts exactly.

Why create something knew when you already have the very best?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Part of the increasing role for the EU EDSP (European Security and Defence Policy) headed by Javier Solana (ex NATO Sec Gen and current High Representative for CSFP (Common Foreign and Security Policy) is the European Rapid Reaction Force.

This elite corps is being established with the assistance of NATO in terms of capabilities and logistical methodologies. Last word I had was that it was being estimated at roughly 60,000 troops. This would be deployable only within Europe though, as far as I have heard to date.

Whether this RFF would also be used for Anti-Terrorism remains to be seen, its initial conceptualisation grew out of the Bosnia and Kosovo conflicts where it was seen that Europe needed its own force which could intervene in European Regional conflicts quickly without requiring US assistance (Although as said above, NATO logistical support is still currently being relied upon).

Highly unlikely that the RFF would be used for CT (Counter-Terrorism) work. CT training is expensive, very specific and requires top-notch soldiers. Since most NATO nations maintain CT assets (SAS, GSG9, etc.) it is unlikely that there is any need for the EU RFF to duplicate those efforts.

Anti-Terrorism is not done by troops generally (except as guards). Anti-terrorism is preventive steps (hardening potential targets, screening entrances, blocking access to vehicles).
  • Options
    Actually I found a policy briefing on Anti Terorism from the WEAG (Western European Armaments Group, for those who might not know) which outlined numerous inter agency collaboration proposals involving Interpol and National Intelligence agencies and other essential parties, none of which as you pointed out were military bodies.

I didnt think that there were any CT plans for the RFF since it was introduced for Humanitarian Relief, and Regional Conflict Prevention and Intervention as the primary roles. Its all so nascent that it will remain to be seen how operationally effective it will be and whether it will see much use now that NATO has gobbled up most of the unstable region of the continent.

Now we have the front row seat without a significant buffer zone between us and the turbulent East.
  • Options
    Since when was this part of NATOs remit? Given that it was set up in order to protect Western Europe and the USA from the CCCP and all that.

Just wondered.
  • Options
    Times change Kermit and NATO has been undertaking a reexamination and redrafting of its role in the post-Cold War era for some time now.