Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Algerian Al Qaeda activated.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
CHILLING RICIN TWIST

By NILES LATHEM

From the NY Post today, you can read the whole article online.

WASHINGTON - The terrorists arrested in Europe for planning to carry out attacks there with ricin are part of the vicious Algerian network behind the millennium bomb plots in the United States, sources say.

U.S. officials are monitoring the recent arrests in Britain and France amid concern that the "Algerian wing" of Osama bin Laden's terror empire has been activated for assassinations and biological and chemical attacks in America and Europe.

Sources told The Post that the 20 Algerians arrested in the ricin plot in Europe are part of a network now being directed from al Qaeda's European branch.

Comments

• Options
    This appears to be some selective historical revisionism at work in the US press again,

Actually pnj, the GIA (one of the most active Algerian terrorist groups have been active long before there ever was any "Al Qaeda" created by Bin Laden.

I had bombs go off near where i used to live outside Paris back in 95 from these nutcases and although they might read literature common to Bin Laden's little extremists, they arent Al Qaeda.

Just a new case of confusing our public (which already knows very little about whats going on in other parts of the globe) with what is rapidly becoming a convenient brand name when speaking about terrorists from our current leadership's point of view. Not all Islamic terorist groups are part of Al Qaeda and not all have the same specific aims or targets.
  • Options
    So the claim that Bin Laden has brought together all of these different groups, like them, isn't true?
  • Options
    Undoubtedly there are groups that have joined OBL and others who havent. Since the GIA's fight is with France and not the US I highly suspect that this is a case of conveniently tarring all groups everywhere with the same brush so the threat to us appears larger than it may actually be. All the better for maintaining huge tax allocations into the MIC and keep the public too paranoid to amass any significant protest.

The protests to date whilst encouraging are no real hinderance to what our leaders fully intend to do in the world.
  • Options
    I know there thing was always France. They tried to slam a plane into the Eiffle Tower before I was born at some point.
  • Options
    the time has come the walrus said... to round em up and kill em'.
  • Options
    Clandestine, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what group they belong to, they are terrorists. They set off bombs, they murder innocent people. So what if they go by a different name?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    So what if they go by a different name?

How utterly non-PC of you to publicly challenge clandestine's attempt at obfuscation... ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    the time has come the walrus said... to round em up and kill em'.

Careful there...

You will be the next for clandestine to call a "nazi"... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    With all these groups now being considered part of a single plot, shouldn't we rename Al Qaeda?

My vote is for S.P.E.C.T.R.E.

:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    With all these groups now being considered part of a single plot, shouldn't we rename Al Qaeda?

My vote is for S.P.E.C.T.R.E.

:)

See, now, that'd be funny unless you're me.

In which case, while finding it funny, my brain went in to overdrive trying to remember what the hell that stood for.

And for the life of me, I can't.

I'm sure extortion/extermination? Chaos?

Come on, someone must know what SPECTRE means?

Please.... help a guy out here? I can't cope!
  • Options
    And now I've Googled it. So...

SPECTRE: the Special Executive for Counterintelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion.

SPECTRE: Some people have an alarming amount of time on their hands. *coughs*

SPECTRE, of course, was derived from SMERSH, an amalgam of Smyert Shpionam (Death to Spies), which was based on a Russian unit of the same name, apparently.

Okay... I can go do work now. My attack of curiosity for the day has been alleviated.
  • Options
    You know, you really need to get out more :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    You know, you really need to get out more :p

Tell me about it.