Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Libya takes UN human rights chair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Perfect. It's exactly what I'd expect of the UN.

Comments

• Options
    It's called irony.

I know that you Americans don't understand that concept.

It's a bit like having a State Governor push through a law, sometimes known as "three strikes". Only to find that his daughters being convicted on two occasions with under-age drinking...

Just think, one more conviction and this State Governor's children could be inside for a long, long time.

Of course, now he's President...
  • Options
    How ironic.
  • Options
    gaddafi. one of my late 70's heroes. ok he's a bit of an oddball.
    if he was english he'd be called eccentric so thats ok.
    when the western world were kicked out of libya, gaddafi used the billions saved to build health and education on a scale rarely done by our governments. he still hasn't built himself any palaces.
    he goes to a meeting in africa by crossing the dessert on foot and by camel. thousands of miles!!!! what a man. he could fly in luxury but not this guy. why not on human rights? does his country have the highest head of population in the world, locked up in jail? does his country electrocute, gas or kill by other means thier prisoners? is he any worse than those before him?
  • Options
    He was behind the bombing of Pan Am over Lockerbie Scotland right? Or is that wrong?
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    He was behind the bombing of Pan Am over Lockerbie Scotland right? Or is that wrong?
    well now...he was also behind the oklahoma bombing. america had the proof. they retaliated by bombing the shit out of libya. killing some of gaddafi's own family. i don't remember america making an apology or coming under much international condemnation when it was discovered that the bombing was actualy done by white american christians. mmmmmm. so you think these american types would be better placed to make judgements about human rights?
  • Options
    Gee, sure it wasnt the omnipresent Al Qaeda? ;)
  • Options
    Interesting you mention this.

I, for one, believe Libya had nothing to do with it. There is a very comprehensive report published by a political magazine in here (Private Eye) with all the facts and evidence we have from the bombing and the investigation. And after reading all the facts it is absolutely UNBELIEVABLE that the two Libyans went to court, not to mention that one of them was actually convicted.

To cut a very long story short, the CIA itself and other investigators had pointed the finger at an obscure Palestinian organisation linked to Iran. The bombing was in revenge for the attack on an Iranian airliner by the Americans that resulted in some 190 deaths.

During the investigation the Gulf crisis erupted. Iran gave its support to the US and mysteriously the investigators announced they had 2 suspects who worked for the Libyan secret service.

Now, all the 'evidence' they had (and successfully used to convict one of the Libyans) was a shopkeeper from Malta who spoke at the trial behind a screen. This mysterious shopkeeper said the two Libyans were in his shop and bought some clothes. The clothes were used to identify the origins of the suitcase in which the bomb was supposedly planted.

Now how a shopkeeper would remember, after 3 years, the faces of 2 people who bought something from his very busy tourist shop is beyond everyone. Not other evidence was provided, and the Libyan was sentenced on this piss-poor excuse.

On top of this fallacy is the fact that the suitcase was almost certainly NOT planted in Malta, but either in Germany where the plane stopped or in London Heathrow. It the bomb was designed to explode at certain altitude, why didn't go off before? And why plant it a full 12 hours before the explosion, when there is risk it will be discovered and removed?

You can order the report (called Lockerbie) from here . Is a bit long and difficult to digest, but after reading it you'll be left wondering "what the fuck?"
  • Options
    and the heathrow airport security staff who had to fight to give thier evidence. they had reported that a very strong and expensive padlock had been cut through on a door leading directly and discreetly to where the plane was sitting. this lock was a part of new anti terrorist measures that had been brought in. when they finaly did get thier evidence listened to, a top copper explained that this avenue had been thoroughly investigated and they were happy to accept that it was a member of staff taking a short cut. oh well thats ok then.
    why do the staff walk around with 2mtre long bolt cutters? the minimum size bolt cutter that could have done the job.
    it's like fucking panto or alice through the looking glass.
  • Options
    MOK and Aladdin those were really interesting posts. never heard that info before.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    MOK and Aladdin those were really interesting posts. never heard that info before.
    and mr roll's posts? well ????
    i just made all of that up off the top of my hillby hooch fuelled imagination aye!yes i know i cant spell..would fueled be better?
    please piss in the pot if you think i have stated wrong then tell me. i too learn an awful lot in here. but i suppose if you just plain don't like it ... i understand.
  • Options
    Here's another beautiful irony for you PNJ.

The US Govt recently went to task over corrupt business practices, following the Enron and Worldcom crashes.

The man appointed to oversee things, was himself once ...

...a corrupt businessman.

Oh, and the President who set the commission up once (I believe) paid a fine because he was...

... a corrupt businessman.
  • Options
    Youve hit the nail on the head MoK. Problem is that in as much as nobody is clamouring for explanations into why only 1 person from Enron has so far been indicted so long after the company's collapse, an equally precious few are bothering to scrutinise the corruption so deeply seated in our administration itself.

My countrymen as you recall were so ravenous to attack Clinton on the basis of his denial of a sexual indiscretion, but when it comes to this admin with a mountain of illicit dealings, we either see no investigations or else investigations which have been stonewalled by the White House. Frightening how easily the general public can be herded like cattle into looking everywhere else other than where the real threat to our nation lies.