Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What would you need to believe in God?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If God could appear to everybody and proclaim that he existed then would you believe in him?

Would you need that kind of tangible proof in order to believe?

Comments

• Options
    Yes. I'd need him to come down and show himself, pretty much as I would need Santa Claus, the Loch Ness monster or a gnome to show themselves. For they are all fantasy.
  • Options
    blind faith ...THATS ALL YOU NEED
  • Options
    i'd need a reason.

somebody could come down from the 'heavens' and proclai themself as god himself and i still wouldn't believe. i grew up catholic and at about the age of 12 i just gave up on it. no part of it had ever connected with me. i don't really know how to explain it, but all of the things that had gone on in my church had just turned me off from religion and all its beliefs. nothing could make me believe.
  • Options
    Faith doesn't need any proof. You're spiritual or you're not. Some of my friends are religious...some aren't.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Faith doesn't need any proof. You're spiritual or you're not. Some of my friends are religious...some aren't.

but some people are so cynical that they dont' believe at the moment, but if god were to show up and give proof, there would be tons of people converting.
  • Options
    some people start to believe in god when you have them tied to a car park support pillar and place a handgrenade in thier underpants ... whilst watching you walking away picking your nose with the pin. bit late i reckon.
  • Options
    <---- uses '"god" as a swear-word, even though he believes in no such entity. It must be cultural habit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MacKenZie
    <---- uses '"god" as a swear-word, even though he believes in no such entity. It must be cultural habit.

So you get into an argument, and suddenly you burst out "god you!!!" :p

Though it might be misleading if you tell people "you're such a God"... I think that people would rather appericiate being sworn at, with that comment ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    blind faith ...THATS ALL YOU NEED

So it's right to have faith in some being whose existence cannot be proven?
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat

but that is what religion is. all major religions have a belief system in a god(s), none of whope existance can be proven.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name

all major religions have a belief system in a god(s), none of whope existance can be proven.

I don't think Buddhists believe in a God at all. They reckon Buddha was simply a man.
  • Options

No, but that is one of the tricks that have allowed different religions to survive for this long. From an objective point of view (say from someone who has never heard of the different religions and has been brought up in an atheist environment) the concept of a magical being nobody has ever seen or heard but yet has special powers and has created the universe and everything within it is simply the most ridiculous thing ever. The church will tell you must have faith in God because rational thought and common sense tell us what an incredible load of bollocks it all is.

I guess from a Martian visitor's point of view it might seem absolutely unbelievable that we have now entered our space age but still believe in ancient superstitions without the slightest thread of evidence or indication of its veracity. I guess it goes to prove that if you programme someone from an early age you can make them believe pretty much anything you want.

Hence my signature.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet

Spirituality and religion are not the same thing.......
  • Options
    If some guy just came up to me in the street and said 'hi i'm god' I wouldn't believe him, but if there was some sort of special effect thingy then maybe. But it ain't gonna happen.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Silverberg
    But it ain't gonna happen.
    do di do di do dido di do di dodi do di do do do do do did dod di/. bjk e57oi ok ok ok.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    do di do di do dido di do di dodi do di do do do do do did dod di/. bjk e57oi ok ok ok.
    ?
  • Options
    it'll happen...someday.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg

Spirituality and religion are not the same thing.......

Precisely.

The only proof I need *now* is existence. And for the record, I don't align myself with any religion in particular. I find them all fascinating once you look at the straight goods of their philosophies and strip away the emotional blackmail that was instigated by the mere mortals who tried to articulate what they knew, and in the process ended up being condescending and patronising to those toward whom they preached.
  • Options

It can be proven, but not conclusively.
    The problem with our limited intelect is, we cannot believe what we cannot understand. We cannot believe what we ourselves cannot see, feel or experience.
    God may exist, he has no reason to proove his existence.
    Men go to great lengths to proove God doesnt exist, why would that be?
  • Options
    or as I once heard it said, God doesnt believe in atheists! ;)
  • Options
    Some people say religion is a good thing because it teaches people morals and not to do bad, but people commit crimes and still believe in god, and I'm an atheist I the only crime I commit is drinking underage. I've never smoked, vandalised or anything, so I believe religion is irrelevant, feel free to argue, but meh.
  • Options
    Originally posted by cheekychick

It can be proven, but not conclusively.
    The problem with our limited intelect is, we cannot believe what we cannot understand. We cannot believe what we ourselves cannot see, feel or experience.
    God may exist, he has no reason to proove his existence.

It's really impossible to prove the existence of a being that is everywhere, can do anything and knows everything. Whether or not God's existence can be proven to a limited extent is irrelevant.
  • Options

Because religion and people who do believe in God have been responsible for most of the wars, hatred and suffering the human race has experienced. Because a world free of religion would be an infinitively better place to live in. Because once a person has been brainwashed into believing in gods it is very difficult to deprogram them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

Because religion and people who do believe in God have been responsible for most of the wars, hatred and suffering the human race has experienced.

Not quite. It is not those who believe in a god, or any religion for that matter, who have caused such suffering, it is those who insist you believe as they do, or who take advantage of people's beliefs to deceptively persuade them to their bidding. And in my opinion these are also the ones who probably wouldn't know god or spirit if it bit them in the ass, which it often does.;)

And that's not counting the innumerable other motives for war, such as money, famine, power, some foolish sense of nationalism, etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

Because religion and people who do believe in God have been responsible for most of the wars, hatred and suffering the human race has experienced. Because a world free of religion would be an infinitively better place to live in. Because once a person has been brainwashed into believing in gods it is very difficult to deprogram them.

Greed, and power, thats what causes wars, fighting over the rights to a bit of land. Fighting over land because its potential wealth or strategic postioning. If you removed religion you wouldnt irradicate war but you would remove the foundations of law and order.
    People arent brainwashed into believing in Gods, people search out God. People feel the need to believe in a superior force, whether you were brought up with religion or not, we are all looking for the answers to why and how we are here, dont deny it, you are too.
    Why would we all feel this way if a God or superior being had never existed, its not the brainwashing of religion that has instilled these feelings, this dates back before religion, before christ, back to the beginning of man.
  • Options

Greed, and power, thats what causes wars, fighting over the rights to a bit of land. Fighting over land because its potential wealth or strategic postioning.
    And organised religion is one of the areas that has always attracted those inclined to behave this way.
    If you removed religion you wouldnt irradicate war but you would remove the foundations of law and order.
    Bollocks. Ethics are entirely divorced from religion, Law is all about being judged in this world, not the next. The truly christian would put upwith all manner of crime, turning the other cheek, waiting on the judgmentof the holy

we are all looking for the answers to why and how we are here, dont deny it, you are too.
    Why, my mothers marriage was going through a rough path, and she thought a baby would hold it together. How, I don't know the speifics of my generation, but if you head over to Sex they'll give you an overview

In general we're here because our parents were. Because our evolutionary advantage is a powerful one. Because evolution is good at shaping the lower lifeorms - for whom reprouction is the hight of existance, but hopeless to control those who typically breed before they begin to exert their influence on the world

Why would we all feel this way if a God or superior being had never existed, its not the brainwashing of religion that has instilled these feelings, this dates back before religion, before christ, back to the beginning of man.
    Because we evolved from pack based scavengers, which has instilled a reflex to fear the unknown and follow the pack leader.
  • Options
    I was going to reply to cheekychick's comments but Carriage Return has put it perfectly.
  • Options
    Some people find it hard to believe in a God but if he could change things, would some parts of the World be such a bad place to live? Miracles or good luck? I would need proof and even if he did show himself, what would he do? =P