Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The asylum system is a complete shambles.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Shadow home secretary Oliver Letwin said: "The asylum system is a complete shambles.

"It's yet further evidence that people are getting through the asylum system who do not have the best interests of this country at heart and who intend to pursue terrorist activities."

(Conservatives are saying the same kind of thing in the US about our IMS...immigrant management system.)

What do you think?
:confused:

Comments

• Options
    Well he would said that... The facts are that out of several thousands asylum seekers who enter Britain each year, about 15 or 20 are criminals (don't really know the real statistics but you get my point).

Most of the press has an agenda. You only need to look at last week's headlines in the right wing press with regard to the ricin found in London: "Poison Gas Gang Are Asylum Seekers".

This in essence is as ludicrous a headline as one announcing: "Double Murderer and Child Rapist is Daily Mail Reader".

The fact is that a committed terrorist will manage to strike at the heart of the country he chooses whether is through legal immigration, asylum seeking, an inside job (already a citizen of that country) or simply through infiltration.
  • Options
    I agree. Do they ever show up illegally by boat on the shore of some rural part of the UK? We have a coast guard to protect against that. I would think the UK has something similar.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    I agree. Do they ever show up illegally by boat on the shore of some rural part of the UK? We have a coast guard to protect against that. I would think the UK has something similar.

I haven't heard of any. Most come through the channel tunnel, having sneaked onto freight trains.

Out Coastguard isn't nearly as well funded as yours and it doesn't have any big patrol vessels, but I'm sure that if they did discover illegal immigrants coming in by boat, they would inform the immigration authorities. The same would go for Customs & Excise and the Royal Navy, who do have patrol ships.

Edited to add link: www.hmcoastguard.co.uk
  • Options
    *salutes* Thanks captain. Actually, the UK is doing a great job in catching these people aren't they?
  • Options
    I believe you're thinking of Spain when you talk about boats. The straight of Gibraltar is only 14 kms wide, as opposed to 50 or so in the English Channel, and literally every night there are many attempted crossings from the Moroccan coast to Spain.

Sadly many of of the boats capsize in the rough waters. Sometimes the guys who run the boats, and who charge up to a $1,000 per passanger, chuck everyone overboard if there is a Spanish Coast Guard boat approaching. It is not unusual to pick up 20 bodies from the water in a week.

Those who make it to Spanish shores are usually picked up by the police within hours and sent back, although I'm sure a few escape the net. However the great majority are just people fleeing death and famine.
  • Options
    The situation is horrible in Australia. Detained asylum seekers in about 4 of the camps have burnt down the rooms there causing millions and millions of dollars worth of damage. Now I'm totaly opposed to this but on the whole issue I'm not sure how I feel.

I know some people feel that they are just being ungrateful and I know some people think that they shouldn't be locked up because they're not proven criminals (well now some are) they're just people trying to escape war and finding a better way to live. I don't know what to believe I don't have enough facts. I don't think they should be treated like criminals because they didn't go through the legal channels of getting to Australia because they've might not have had the chance. But also I don't support letting people that we can't support properly either. So i dunno.
  • Options
    Wow Alladin. Australia has to be careful. The group affiliated with Al Qaeda that bombed the Bali club wants northern Australia to be part of a Muslim superstate.
  • Options
    I come from near Yarl's Wood detention centre in Beds that was burnt down by asylum seekers detained there.

Asylum is a shambles. According to UN figures last year Britain took the most asylum seekers in the world. Not the most per capita or per square mile but the most. I think it was about 1000 more than America did. All other major countries appeared to be getting less and less while Britain's figures soared.

Welcome to Blair's Britain, JP!

hdfg djhg skjfj fjfhhks jfjs [/arabic subtitles]
  • Options
    I don't think the asylum system is nearly as bad as it is made out to be. The press seems to have gone a little bit crazy over this whole issue really (Daily Mail I'm looking directly at you).

I think we have to consider that there are people all over the world who need refuge from their regimes, and we should help these people out.

x :)
  • Options
    It's funny isn't? How on the one hand many are cheering to go to war and liberate all those poor Iraqis living under the boot of Saddam, and on the other hand we tell Iraqi refugees to piss off and stop "milking our generous welfare system" when they seek asylum.
  • Options
    Alladin, out of all the asylum seekers who turn up, a much higher number than 20 are criminals. For starters you have the gangs who wander the streets of some of the major cities, starting fights with other gangs, sexually assaulting women, begging and other various assorted crimes.
    Gang violence in Nottingham, Birmingham and Manchester is increasing dramatically and is being fuelled by the influx of immigrants from different groups that hated each other before, and hate each other now.

Out of all the British criminals in prison at the moment, how many are there for plotting to kill thousands of commuters on the London underground or assasinate leading political figures? None is the answer you're looking for.
    Yes, most of the crime in the UK isn't caused by asylum seekers, it's just a worrying trend when the crime they do try to commit involves the murder of a few thousand people. Imagine if the gang that had been caught before had managed to release some sort of gas into the underground, or some other gang successfully managed to poison food heading towards Downing street?

What would happen to our International reputation if those criminals travelled on falsified British passports to the USA and planted a bomb in New York or Florida or las Vegas, or some other popular tourist resort?
    What would people be saying if a criminal gang managed to plant a dirty nuke next to the Whitehouse, and it was traced to a gang here, who managed to get into this country undetected?

Just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it won't, it's all well and good saying that papers like the Mail are scaremongering, but when we can't stop people entering our country and killing police officers or manufacturing WMD's what chance do we have?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Out of all the British criminals in prison at the moment, how many are there for plotting to kill thousands of commuters on the London underground or assasinate leading political figures?

Do you mean apart from Irish Terrorists? ;)
  • Options
    I don't think any of the Western governments want to kick out immigrants. I mean in over 200 years, only a few creeps murdered Americans. And we're 280,000,000 immigrants. But to pretend there is not Al Qaeda operating is to go against the facts. And even if Al Qaeda was put out of the murder business, the way information is shared about making bombs etc, societies will always have to be vigilant. In the US, we also know Arab immigrants are playing some of the most important roles on the War on Terrorism.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Do you mean apart from Irish Terrorists? ;)

When have they tried to kill off the entire population of a city of 7 million?
    When have they done anything serious in the last few years? Sure they've killed people, but at least that problem is under increasing control, thanks to the peace process but also to the police and intelligence agencies keeping track on all the people affiliated with the IRA.
    We know *nothing* about these people who are entering the country, the police aren't even sure of the real name of the guy who killed one officer and injured 3 others.
  • Options
    Oh, and MOK, I still think the Irish terrorists deserve to be hung as well, they're just as bad as Al-Qaeda et al.
  • Options
    Surely wealthy, western, muslim converts are as likely to be Al-Qaida (or whatever) as any Algerian, why should we let them into the country?

What about US Christian fundamentalists linked to radical pro-life groups?

These people are surely a threat to national security......
  • Options
    Christian fundamentalist will tell you you are going to hell. Radical Muslims want to send you there. *bows* :p
  • Options
    Or they'll bomb abortion clinics, murder doctors and continue lobbying for oppressive, disgusting laws (isn't it true that unmarried sex is illegal in 11 States, anal sex between men in 14 States?).
  • Options
    Yes Alladin about the abortion clinics...radicals of all kinds are bad. The states still have a lot of odd laws that go unenforced. Lot's of welfare mothers are unmarried and aren't arrested for being unwed so I don't know if the law you mentioned is true. Could be.
  • Options
    The asylum system is a shambles and is getting worse day by day. Was it not only last week that an elderly lady was removed from her GPs list because he had been instructed to make room for asylum seekers.
    I am aware that in difficult times people may move to other countries to seek refuge (my own parents came here during a civil war in the 70s) but the system in this country has fallen to pieces. The government simply don't realise that this country is too small for the vast numbers of people constantly arriving here. It puts an even greater strain on already stretched resources such as the NHs and education. A good idea would be for the country to not admit any more refugees until the current backlog of applications is dealt with and the minority who are not genuine are located. That way, future asylum applications could be dealt with more effectively.
  • Options
    For all the criticism of the West, the opinions being expressed here are also being said in Europe and America. I guess the economic downturn has created areas where people can't live at all.

So many Hispanics have immigrated to the US, they outnumber Blacks. This all happened in two years! Their numbers doubled. Most are poor people who just want hope. But within this flood, we've all seen in our countries how Al Qaeda uses the immigration policies of the West for its own goals.
  • Options
    Things are not nearly as bad as they seem. The ultra-right-wing tabloid press takes immense pleasure in telling half-truths and highlighting stories to stir popular belief.

This article makes very interesting reading. I wouldn't say the asylum seeker situation is perfect but believe me, in reality this is a rather low priority issue. Certainly not worthy of the tens of thousands of column inches and scores of front pages racist, selfish rags like the Mail or Sun devote to the issue.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Roberta Carlos
    The government simply don't realise that this country is too small for the vast numbers of people constantly arriving here. It puts an even greater strain on already stretched resources such as the NHs and education.

This is not true, there are tens of thousands of empty rooms in this country, urban waste ground, abandoned warehouses etc.

Immigrants create wealth, this is a fact, thus more immigration lessens the burden of the NHS etc.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    anal sex between men in 14 States?

Aren't there also several where oral sex is illegal - even for heterosexuals?
  • Options
    Probably the very same states in which a 10-year old can legally own a semi-automatic weapon.

The words 'out', 'sort' and 'priorities' spring to mind...