Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The war for oil myth.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    also Alladin there's tons of very liberal people in the US. One just got named to a powerful Armed Forces Committee in Congress: Hilary Clinton.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    also Alladin there's tons of very liberal people in the US. One just got named to a powerful Armed Forces Committee in Congress: Hilary Clinton.

Wow! And there was me thinking that Hillary Clinton was a Senator.

I guess I don't know much after all...
  • Options
    LOL. She is a senator, the committee is a Senate comittee.

Congress is the catch-all term for both Houses.
  • Options
    She doesn't seem to have a liberal attitute towards blowjobs anyway ;)
  • Options
    didn't know Hillary gave any! lol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    didn't know Hillary gave any! lol.

Were you looking in Congress, or the Senate?

Y'see, that *could* be your problem :p
  • Options
    The Senate is part of "Congress", for the second time... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Good to see you back Greenhat, you've missed lots of hot topics.

I've been busy. :cool:
  • Options
    Got promoted? Moved to a different location? Got married? Do tell!
  • Options
    Had a meeting about dealing with terrorism threats. As a result, made a trip to the most mined country on Earth.
  • Options
    South Korea? An African nations? The shared Red Sea beach between Jordan and Israel?
  • Options
    More likely Afghanistan?
  • Options
    More likely Afghanistan?

Bingo.
  • Options
    Happen to go visit the extensive poppy and heroine production sites that we helped to restore to full production potential by any chance?
  • Options
    "poppies....p-ah-pies...poppies will make them sleep."

Wicked Witch of the West, Wizard of OZ.:naughty:
  • Options
    Happen to go visit the extensive poppy and heroine production sites that we helped to restore to full production potential by any chance?

Ah, it's so wonderful to return to the bullshit of "The Site".

How did we help? How do you know they are at full production? How do you know what the production was before?

I visited a good part of the country. I know what poppy looks like, since I have worked on the crop replacement program with the Dega. Didn't see any poppy.

What I did get to see was women attending school, working in hospitals and schools, and dancing at a number of weddings I attended.
  • Options
    Just when I felt surrounded...the American troops show up.

I wish you posted more Greenhat and in detail.:cool:
  • Options
    I reckon the site should hold a celebrity boxing match:

<b>Greenhat vs. Clandestine</b>

Who'd win? Hmmm....
  • Options
    Itd be a stalemate since Greeny will never once admit our government is wrong in any way shape or form and I will continue to point out our underhanded dealings in the world.

Thats a very interesting commentary Greenhat. One which flies in the face of numerous other international monitors who have indicated that apart from Kabul, there has been very little change apart from schooling for most Afghani women since regional warlords continue to treat their women as they always have and in Pushtoon areas that means much as it was in the days of the Taliban.

Moreover, poppy production is apparently resuming if not up to its previous quotas (since of course the Taliban hasnt been gone that long and replanting takes time). Afghan as one major source for world heoinr and other opiate production is well documented. Best you stop trying to run from the truth and admit it for once.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

Ah, it's so wonderful to return to the bullshit of "The Site".

How did we help? How do you know they are at full production? How do you know what the production was before?

I visited a good part of the country. I know what poppy looks like, since I have worked on the crop replacement program with the Dega. Didn't see any poppy.

What I did get to see was women attending school, working in hospitals and schools, and dancing at a number of weddings I attended.

Well if you dont like the "bullshit of thesite", why read and post on thesite? Simple innit!

And as for 'poppy production'...any links?

"What I did get to see was women attending school, working in hospitals and schools, and dancing at a number of weddings I attended."

Weddings?! Dont make me laugh :)

The last wedding party I heard of in Afghanistan was bombed to fuck by the US airfoce. Was it not??

Oh and womens' rights...?

Check this out matey, an excellent site from the Revolutionary Associiation of the Women of Afghanistran (RAWA).

http://rawa.false.net/na-appeal.htm

Read and weep.

You really do make me laugh at times :D
  • Options
    Much more to come on 'Poppy production' if you want greenhat.

Perhaps tomorrow.

Bless :)
  • Options
  • Options
    I can only report what I saw. The fact that it is contradictory to what you want to believe doesn't change it. One thing I did notice that was interesting. Those "monitors"? At least one was offered an opportunity to fly with us to an outlying area, one that he claimed he needed a report from. He turned down the opportunity to visit himself, stated he would wait for someone from that region to visit Kabul so he could interview them.
  • Options
    Here is one link, but youre a big boy Greeny, You can just as easily find innumerable reports on the post Taliban resumption of the drug trafficking of our previous hailed "allies" amongst the Northern Alliance...

http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~pdscott/qf5.html

And another piece on the "oh so improved" confition facing women Post Taliban Afghanistan....

http://www.e-ariana.com/ariana/eariana.nsf/allArticles/AA030FA75B3B3F2B87256C0E00577A7F?OpenDocument

Very little has changed in structural or ideological terms apart from an installed puppet regime that certainly serves our big mid-Asian oil interests if little else. All the rest is back to what our political elite thrive on (i.e. The Status Quo).
  • Options
    Clandestine,

The Dega grew Poppy for thousands of years. It has taken concerted effort over the last 30 years to get some of them to substitute other crops and reduce the amount of poppy they grow. Why would you expect anything different in Afghanistan? The thing that I think is funny is that you somehow think the Taliban di something better.
  • Options
    Actually I dont think the Taliban did any better. Point that ive argued all along is that the only thing the Bush admin really cares about is getting its pipeline through afghanistan and the rest of the country (despite the inflated promises of stability and nation building, could go to hell in a handbasket for all they care.

The warlords which were hailed as our mighty allies are no better and in some cases worse than the Taliban but that hasnt stopped us becoming all cozy with them and maintaining that cozy relationship long after the ousting of the Taliban.

9/11 might have given bush the plausible pretext he wanted in order to get his war machine rolling but frankly the crosshairs were on Afghanistan long before 9/11. Bush just needed an event that would give him the carte balnche of public sentiment and by golly its worked so far...
  • Options
    Actually I dont think the Taliban did any better. Point that ive argued all along is that the only thing the Bush admin really cares about is getting its pipeline through afghanistan and the rest of the country (despite the inflated promises of stability and nation building, could go to hell in a handbasket for all they care.

The warlords which were hailed as our mighty allies are no better and in some cases worse than the Taliban but that hasnt stopped us becoming all cozy with them and maintaining that cozy relationship long after the ousting of the Taliban.

9/11 might have given bush the plausible pretext he wanted in order to get his war machine rolling but frankly the crosshairs were on Afghanistan long before 9/11. Bush just needed an event that would give him the carte balnche of public sentiment and by golly its worked so far...

Why don't you write for a conspiracy site? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Why dont you open your eyes and stop pretending that everything that runs counter to what is conveniently fed to the public is "conspiracy".

As a military man you should well know that the public is lied to and mislead continuously on matters of state.

Fortunately their are those who make the effort to scrutinise behind what is being said to get closer to the truth. Fact that the truth is often darker than what many want to believe in their cozy little subburban lives doesnt change the reality of what is being done under cover of "plausible deniability".
  • Options
    There is a difference between hiding information for security reasons and believing in conspiracies that are so large and involved as to be logistically impossible, not to mention the number of people that would have to keep their mouths shut. And for what? The "payout" would be less than the initial effort.
  • Options
    Fact is the "for security reasons" is the oldest excuse in our government's arsenal of smokescreens for maintaining underhanded and illicit dealings both at home and abroad. Sorry pal, its worn thin in an age in increasing demands for accountability.