Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

A helpful discussion about losing weight.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just thinking about my routine. I ride my bike about a half an hour to school and back most weeks. That's 4 1/2 hours of biking. In the spring, summerand fall I surf and blade. And surfing for me often means getting knocked in and swimming back out. All dates require using my bike. So I just realized that I had all of this exercise in my life. In other words exercise is part of my life.

Low fat food. Hmmm. My mom made an announcement that "we are going to eat healthier in this house." My dad looked so upset! Anyways, we started eating things like skinless chicken.

The results?

MY DAD GAINED 5 POUNDS.

See, low fat food didn't fill him up so he ate more and filled up on other things. So now we're all about the portion thing. And there's things we don't have in the house. Like we walk down to an ice cream parlor...we don't have it in the house.

All that water? Studies came out recently that said you don't need all that water. It'll just make you pee. K-I'm thinking I hope they didn't spend a lot of time concluding lot's of water will make people pee a lot.

This post is just for people who'd like to be more toned or lose a bit. I think the main thing is that you are happy about yourself.

Comments

• Options
    Low fat diets dont always help you lose weight - what about the atkins diet for instance, thats high fat and low carbohydrate. Nutritionists all seem to be in agreement that although it promotes rapid weight loss, its really really bad for you.
    People go on about being thin as being healthy, but in so many cases its not. There are loads of people that follow the atkins diet, such as Jennifer Aniston, Theyre really thin but nobody goes on about them being unhealthy because at the end of the day, nobody really gives a shit about other peoples health, as long as they look nice. Its one thing that really winds me up.
  • Options
    I've lost over a stone since last summer, this is how I have done it. I exercise several times a week, either by going to the gym, doing an exercise video (Patsy Palmer, Bollywood or Rosemary Conley) or walking to town instead of getting the bus, or doing the dance game on the playstation.

After some time, exercise becomes easier, you can see the change in your body as your clothes become looser, and you actually ENJOY the exercise, you feel good and GLOW afterwards. You get hooked on the way you feel after the endorphins are released in your body.

I love my food and appreciate what I eat. The changes I have made in eating is:

* only having skimmed milk
    * brown bread
    * making sure I always have healthy food at home like rice, frozen vegetables, quorn, fish etc, so I can make healthy meals.
    * cutting out all junk food, chocolate and crisps.

If I am out in town and am hungry, I go to Marks and Spencer and get a wrap or sushi, or a jacket potato.

I am losing weight slowly and changing my lifestyle rather than "going on a diet". For a few months I did not go to the gym because I had too much on and was too tired, but did not put any weight on.

Good luck to anyone trying. It's gonna take me some time to reach my target (I'm not aiming for a weight but to be a size 10) but I know I'm gonna get there, because I feel good about myself now which I haven't for ages.

I used to go shopping for clothes and end up in tears because I looked so horrible and nothing fitted. I couldn't believe I was such a big size, and was disgusted at myself. It was my own fault and also due to my old lifestyle, where my boyfriend would always get take aways and crisps lying around the flat.
  • Options
    I lost all my babyweight (4st) by walking everywhere! its fantastic exercise and not too hard. I also keep the chocolate cravings at bay by making sure i have some in the house! Sounds weird but if i dont have any chocolate in the house I start really craving it, but if ive got lots in the drawer, I limit myself to a chunk or so once or twice a day and am quite happy with that.
  • Options
    Those were really good posts. Someone could read that and it would help them.:p
  • Options
    :D:D:D I think I should post a reply now. Wha'd ya think? :D:D:D
    I think PussyKatty made a really good point. Can we all forget the word 'DIET'. What does it mean? Nothing in my point of view.
    If you want to be slimmer and healthier, you need to live the healthy lifestyle.
    I'm assuming we've all ate chocolates, been to McDonalds, Burger King, had fry ups, drank fizzy drinks etc etc ......... agreed? Been there, done that, tasted this, tasted that. You can't keep on eating chocolates, fried food etc for the rest of your life because they 'taste nice'. We've all tasted them, now lets move on and think about other things apart from our tastebuds.
    Its unfortunate that all of the 'nice' things aren't unhealthy, and all of the 'not nice' things are healthy, but thats the way it is.
    Remember, food has only one purpose, which is to provide your body with the appropriate nutrition, not to satisfy your tastebuds.
    The next step is to try and LIKE the healthy foods. Some people like the taste of healthy food. Tuna is an example of a healthy food that a lot of people like. Find healthy foods that you like, and slowly bring in others. Soon, you'll be eating the healthy way, and you'll feel good about what your eating. E.g. you'll drink a glass of skimmed milk and think 'This is doing GOOD for me', instead of feeling guilty.
    Then, once in a while, and I mean ONCE IN A WHILE, you can have a little binge of your unhealthy stuff. However, the problem arises when people consider 'once in a while' as 'once every few hours'.
    Remember, I don't mean live the healthy lifestyle for a month of two (which is what diets are all about), I mean live the healthy lifestyle for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.
  • Options
    crescendo that is so true...from what I've seen on t.v. My mom tunes into the keeping thin stuff. She's not fat at all but we live in a beach community and most people are in shorts or a bathing suit for a third of the year.
  • Options
    for once i am not pissed off with anything crescendo has said on the subject :)
    thats what i was trying to say about weight watchers, im not dieting, im changing the way i eat for the rest of my life.
  • Options
    That's cool scarlettcloud. And you should give yourself credit for trying...it ain't easy.
  • Options
    its not easy at all, but thanks for the encouragements :)
  • Options
    May I ask a question. If I am exercising 3 times a week or more, and eating relatively well (not starving myself but equally not eating junk food), how much weight should I lose per week?

I am just wondering how long it's gonna take...
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    May I ask a question. If I am exercising 3 times a week or more, and eating relatively well (not starving myself but equally not eating junk food), how much weight should I lose per week?

I am just wondering how long it's gonna take...
    It depends on your metabolism, but if you concentrate too much on when your gonna lose weight, then you'll just end up being impatient. Thats why its good to lead the healthy lifestyle for the rest of your life. The healthier you eat, and the more you exercise, the quicker you'll lose weight, but just DON'T starve yourself. Thats just stupid.
  • Options
    crescendo that is so right from everything I've over-heard. (You can't avoid hearing about losing weight in America or "weapons of mass destruction.".) :p
  • Options
    a healthy weight loss is about 1 or 2 pounds a week. in my first week of weight watchers i lost 6 pounds, nearly a half stone, but thats cos week one was more or less a detox, i followed the plan really strictly and exercised everyday. then i eased off a bit and ate what i wanted, as long as i was within my points, and i was losing 1.5 - 2 pounds per week, well thats what my doc said and the weight watchers leader said.
  • Options
    And the information that comes through the media is confusing...at least it is to me. Just be easy on yourself and give yourself time.
  • Options
    Well I've lost 2 pounds since last week, just wanted to share that. :D
  • Options
    good 4 u pk.:D
  • Options
    YAY!! im proud of you! you should be well chuffed with yourself!!
    a few pounds is all the motivation you need to keep going with it!!!
  • Options
    What does a "stone" = ?:confused:
  • Options
    a stone is 14 pounds
  • Options
    well folks it was weight watchers today and i was v nervous. thought i had put on weight but i didnt. lost 3 and a half pounds. im 3 pounds off a stone!! so im gonna try and get 3 pounds off this week and then i will have lost a stone in 6 weeks or sumthing!
  • Options
    Originally posted by crescendo
    I'm assuming we've all ate chocolates, been to McDonalds, Burger King, had fry ups, drank fizzy drinks etc etc ......... agreed?
    I don't agree actually. I need to lose some weight, which I am doing at the moment, but I never eat junk food or fry ups. I have eaten very well for years and I am still podgey because I eat too much of the stuff that is good for us.

So I would like to point out that one way of losing weight is to decrease your portion size! lol
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    So I would like to point out that one way of losing weight is to decrease your portion size! lol
    I slightly agree, but I think this sort of advice can trigger eating disorders (i.e. people not eating). I think people should first assess the quality of the food, then the quantity.
  • Options
    Originally posted by crescendo
    I slightly agree, but I think this sort of advice can trigger eating disorders (i.e. people not eating). I think people should first assess the quality of the food, then the quantity.
    Yeah well it worked for me because I was just eating too much good food.
  • Options
    anyone know if those slim fast drinks, soups etc work?

:confused:
  • Options
    I tried slim fast. I found that I was so hungry by the time of my next meal that my belly was growling and I ended up eating a lot more than a usual meal because my body craved it. I would have a milkshake as an occasional meal replacement but I couldn't sticl to it properly, if you live an active life I don't think the milkshakes are enough.
  • Options
    yeah, I dont see how someone can just have a milkshake in the place of solid food. you wouldnt be thirsty and maybe it would be nutritious but your stomach needs something to do.:wave:
  • Options
    im getting kinda worried.
    like, im not following weight watchers totally properly, but im still losing weight. ive been skipping lunch and stuff but not intentionally, its like i get up at like 10am ish, eat breakfast, and then go out for the day, like i go into to town for my singing lessons, or i go a mates house or whatever. and then i go to the gym and start work at 4pm and have dinner on break at about 6.30pm at work. like i know thats really bad but im losing weight like. i didnt go to weight watchers this week cos i was out on wednesday night and was so tired i couldnt get up early on thursday morning. but i weighed myself on the scales at the gym and i had lost 2 pounds.
    i havent tracked in ages so really i have no clue what points im eating in a day and im really worried cos i know this is bad for me. im not really looking for any advice i just wanted to get that out and im gonna wise up like, i need to start eating full points again and tracking properly and planning meals.
    the frustration of it all!!!
  • Options
    how about having a cereal bar at lunchtime or something scarlettcloud. you can carry one of those on you so you dont need to go out of your way to go and get one.
  • Options
    yeh. like i was a bit better today i had cereal for breakfast and then loadsa fruit at lunchtime and then had a really good dinner. but still its like eating is a chore or something. its like i cant be bothered to prepare healthy food, which i know is really lazy, but it just gets frustrating sometimes when i have to count everything! im thinking "i really should eat, but im not going to bother!"
  • Options
    I lost 1 1/2 stone last summer, through eating less, i always find i can lose loads of weight in the summer, but as soon as the winter comes, i get a huge appetite back! Im starting to worry myself because i get paranoid when ever i eat something, i dont want to become bulemic (Spelling) or anoresic but i get worried when i eat during the day, on a typical day i will eat 1 sandwich, 1 packet of crisps, apple, bannana and pear, if im peckish in the afternoon a small choc bar and my dinner when i get home. Is that alot?