Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Navel Piercing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm having my navel pierced in June, for my birthday.
A few days later, me and my boyf are havin a joint birthday pool party......
Is it sensible to swim with a fresh piercing?
I've looked everywhere for info on this, but with no such luck.

Blessed Be x

Comments

• Options
    Could you not just get the piercing done a few weeks earlier?
  • Options
    Well, coz I'm still tightening up my stomach, and can't have it pierced til it's "flat" - It's an obsession I have, Plus, it's a birthday present....

Blessed Be x
  • Options
    It could be a bit risky as its more likely to get infected, plus you might have to have a huge plaster thing over it for a few days and if you knock it or bump into anything it kills! Maybe you should get it done after the party! :)
  • Options
    Swimming with a fresh piercing is a bad idea, unless you fancy a raw green infested wound on your stomach.

Swimming pools are full of bacteria, especially the heated ones. Some are chlorinated enough to control this but then the strengths of the chemicals becomes a problem for your piercing.

Either way it's a bad idea and should be avioded until the piercing has completely healed (for navels that can be 4-6 months.)

Yes, some people do swim and have no problems whatsoever, but it is a risk nonetheless.
    You can get waterproof bandage type -things to put over the piercing, but it is a pretty fiddly place to create a water-tight seal. And it won't look too hot either.
    Wait until after the party, or don't swim.
  • Options
    its fine! i went swimming the day after mine and it was fine! :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by vodka babe
    its fine! i went swimming the day after mine and it was fine! :)

That was lucky. As others have said, there is a lot of bacteria in pools so it won't do anything to help your fresh wound. Also, the piercing will be tender and if you catch it on anything it will be extremely painful.
    I wouldn't advise swimming with a new piercing, just wait until the day after, i'm sure there's no rush to get pierced. :)
  • Options
    is it a public pool, or a private pool? if its your own, then i assume you keep it clean, therefore it shouldn't harm it, the chlorine may sting it, but shouldn't infect it. if its a public pool, i'd be wary... there are some odd balls out there... never know what they leave in the pool
  • Options
    Well, it's my boyf's pool and his parents are clean to the point of distraction... lol...

Blessed Be x
  • Options
    I went swimming in a LAKE a couple days after I had mine done, but it was fine. Just as long as you clean it really really really well after youre done.
    Salt water is the safest. I'll heal it quicker.
    Lake water probably isn't the best bet, cause of all the bacteria.
    But theres not too too much bacteria in a pool, because of the chlorine. But, you still should clean it really well afterwards.
    however, yes, it may sting a little when you first get in.
  • Options
    the chances of it getting infected are unlikely.i've got my belly button peirced,i had it done when i turned 13.well neways...there's chlorine in the water and just think that kills germs and stuff.so after you have been swimming just make sure you wash it with that spray stuff that you get...it's called savlon.
  • Options
    Well when i had mine pierced i didn't go swimming for about 2 weeks and i was scared of knocking it around, though saying that i do no alot of people that have gone swimming etc quite soon after they had it done, if it is your boyfriends own pool its probably cleaner then a public pool. Just be careful though not to keep touching it too much.

When i first had mine done i couldn't actually bend down for a few days so i'm not sure what i would have been like swimming around!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    Well, it's my boyf's pool and his parents are clean to the point of distraction... lol...

Blessed Be x

it should be alright. if it stings or anything just use salt water on it, thats helps it :)