Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Great Nation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What defines a so-called Great Nation?

Current leader?
History?
Media-coverage?
Resources?
Size and amount of inhabitants?
Credibility given by other countries?
Alliances?

Which countries are allowed to fit into the "Great Nation" category? Why?

Comments

• Options
    I'd hope, everyone would put his or her nation in there.
    I would put mine.
    I'd define it selfishly.
    Does it provide the opportunity for me to work to achieve my dreams?
  • Options
    I guess a bit of all of the above- it all depends on personal opinion.

I for instance would not pay that much attention to military history or past empires. A nation might have been mighty in its control of other areas and its military power (Spain in the 16th century, Britain in the 19th, etc) but that doesn't make it 'great'. I would pay much more attention to its upholding of democratic values, tolerance and harmony; its ability to produce outstanding figures in science, engineering, philosophy, art and literature; its relations with other nations and diplomatic skills. A place where everybody is welcome and bigotry is kept to a minimum, if allowed at all.
  • Options
    Countries that developed the fastest and first, those that have led the world in many fields of medecine, engineering and technology, and those with substantial wealth and significant ability to express itself on a global stage.

Britain, fits them all.
    We were industrialised before any other nation, virtually every major scientific and medical advance has been developed here, from the tank, microwave, radar, to penecillin, the jet engine and steam engine.
    One factor that led to our domination of the waves was the development of the iron clad, we were the first nation to field huge fleets of iron warships that were faster and stronger than the wooden ones in use by other countries.
    Our factories turned out huge amounts of quality finished goods and we were once the biggest exporter of coal and other raw materials in the world.
    All this by the 18th century.
  • Options
    Being a 'great nation' is simply one with great influence on the world.