Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Russian Muslims targeted.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm glad this kind of thing isn't happening in the US.

Russia's Muslims Become Targets
Fear, Insecurity Rise Since Theater Siege; 'We Are the New Jews,' Imam Says

You can find the full article in today's Washington Post. I put up part of the article here so we can discuss it.

ZVENIGOROD, Russia -- The echo of Moscow's theater siege reverberated loudly in the unheated, unfinished mosque where Zvenigorod's 500 Muslims come to pray. Two Central Asian men, sitting here wrapped in coats against the winter chill, heard it in the hatred of the town drunks and the scorn of the militia, which confiscated their passports and vowed to kick them out of the country.

It didn't matter that they had nothing to do with the Chechen guerrillas who stormed the theater in October, that they barely know how to stumble through their own prayers to Allah, much less embrace the brand of militant Islam adopted by terrorist groups waging war on the West. They, too, were the enemy.

"When we say we are Muslim, they humiliate us," said Rustam, a 45-year-old laborer from Tajikistan, who is afraid to give his last name because the local police detained him after the theater incident and demanded that he pay 500 rubles or leave the country.

The article also said that two rival Muslim clerics are causing some of the problem because they are accusing each other of being terrorists in order to be the country's top Muslim cleric. To me, this also comes from Russia's heritage in totalitarism vs democracy.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

*coughs*

link should work now
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2488829.stm
  • Options
    I can see why people are afraid though. You can read this full story on Yahoo News today.

6 Arrested in U.K. Over Poison Discovery

LONDON - Anti terrorist police said Tuesday they arrested six men of North African origin after finding traces of the poison ricin in London.

The six men were being questioned after an operation by Scotland Yard's anti-terrorist branch in north and east London.

Police said "equipment and materials" were found at an address in Wood Green where one of the men was detained. A woman who was also arrested had been released, police said in a statement.

Ricin — one of the world's deadliest toxins, twice as deadly as cobra venom — is derived from the seeds and pods of the castor bean plant and may be inhaled, ingested or injected. There is no known antidote.
  • Options
    No excuse though.
  • Options
    No I agree and at my friend's mosque, he told me right after 9/11 the police came to them and said to report any problems because "they have the right to worship without fear in this country". Plus they got some letters from people in the area saying that too. I did read about some Hindos being attacked. Tells you how dumb some people are.
  • Options
    Esactly MoK. pnj, your first post once again shows how blinded by this false impression of America's inherent goodness to see that we as much as anyone (and our own government more than most) have committed and continue commit grievous acts of blind abuse on other races and cultures, at home and abroad.

Time you woke up and stopped all the flag waving long enough to learn how much trouble we ourselves cause and inspire others to imitate in the world.

Even the term "WoT" is being used by oppressive regimes now (especially ones friendly to the US administration) to attack those who oppose them even on political grounds.

Just take a look at the hypocrisy behind our admin's current rhetoric against North Korea. We call them mad, evil, etc.. for playing the game of political brinkmanship with their nuclear programme whilst we ourselves are doing (and have done in numerous instances) the very same thing in our foreign policy.

If its okay for us to use our miltary capabilities to manipulate the political spectrum, then its okay for others to do so as well. If not for them, then likewise, not for us either. Can't have it both ways and still retain credibility and moral integrity.
  • Options
    I was just asking my teacher and my friend's a Muslim, they think that report is bogus about the persecution of Muslims in America. It's a bias crime to even call someone an ethnic slur if you follow them around saying it.

Anyways, I should have posted I'm glad this isn't for the most part happening in the West. From the articles I've read, Western countries are trying hard not to let fear turn into hatred.
  • Options
    Here's what I wish I'd said:

Let's do our part to make sure this doesn't happen in our countries. It that cool?:cool:
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Let's do our part to make sure this doesn't happen in our countries. It that cool?:cool:

You could start by scaling down the number of posts you make about the subject ;):p