Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

High technology & low life's.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Doesn't this seem like strange times? We have the highest technologies being used by low life's to murder people worldwide. Also, the West, my idea of teh good guys, in the way we at least try to give women and minorities opportunities to pursue their goals, is being attacked by people who have such backwards beliefs of pleasing God. (I do not mean all Muslims. The extremists like Bin Laden speaks of the time of the Moors and seem to want to use technology to take the world backwards.)

Anyone else feel we're living in a wierd time?

Comments

• Options
    Some might say that the high technology belonging to the US military is being abused by "low life's"...

But really what you have emphasised is the total lack of responsibility in the science world. They develop things because they can but rarely consider if they should. Once discovered, a technology is earier to replicate. Look at the first atomic weapon, and yet now we can deliver them in a satchel (so to speak)...

I does concern me that, in spite of your qualifying denial, you do seem to be aiming this at Muslim though. There are plenty of scumbags out there with powerful, destructive technology who aren't muslim extremists - Clonaid for example (if the reports are to be believed) or there's the Italian Obstetrician looking into human cloning, or the geneticists looking at genetically engineered human/foodstuffs...
  • Options
    Those are really good points and insights Kent...especially the should one.

That French group may be a fraud. They say they may not bring the baby to the US for DNA testing. Even if they did I don't know what the point would be. They know they can clone a human. All the leaders in the US are saying...not here.
  • Options

Anyone else feel we're living in a wierd time?

Wow!
    Thats such an insightful comment, and it probes the heart of the day to day dilema's that we all face daily.
    You are indeed a modern philosiphor, cutting straight to the crux of the problem that blights us all daily.

OK, i'll quit with the sarcasm now
  • Options
    And by your name, you are automatically thought to be cool - or not - because you are all about coke.

Kent I was thinking...so a lot of advancements have a dark side. What you said is in keeping with this one article I read about how advancements and miniturization of technologies will be behind the use of deadlier bombs - cause all of that is used in them.
  • Options
    You're still young, Johnny... the weirdness you've seen in your short 16 years will no doubt pale by comparison to what's up ahead. ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    But really what you have emphasised is the total lack of responsibility in the science world. They develop things because they can but rarely consider if they should.
    Sadly, hindsight is always much, much easier than foresight. Those who originally developed the atom bomb were doing so in an attempt to bring as speedy an end as possible to the bloodiest conflict humanity has ever seen (and, if we're very, very lucky, ever will see). Continued developments in hydrogen bombs during the Cold War were intended to provide both sides with an added incentive to keep the peace, by making war unimaginably horrific.

It worked quite well at keeping the peace in the situation it was designed for (i.e. two opposing superpowers, smaller nations either allied with one or the other or small enough to be ignored), but we obviously live in a totally different world now. However, I don't think anyone from the 1950's would have predicted the situation in the world as it stands today. Given that we can't tell what the world will be like in, say, 2050, how can scientists be expected to figure out every single possible ramification of a new technology?
    I does concern me that, in spite of your qualifying denial, you do seem to be aiming this at Muslim though. There are plenty of scumbags out there with powerful, destructive technology who aren't muslim extremists - Clonaid for example (if the reports are to be believed) or there's the Italian Obstetrician looking into human cloning, or the geneticists looking at genetically engineered human/foodstuffs...

Agreed. The distribution of dangerous idiots in the human race is (in my opinion) largely independent of nation or religion.
  • Options
    Darth, I don't dispute the merits of the Atomic bombs, I will always defend its use in 1945 and I have no doubt that their existence prevented war between the US and USSR. Perhaps that was a bad example to use in this sense - even though it makes my point about how science developments cannot be unlearned...

And no, science cannot predict the future (generally) but there are few of us who cannot see some of the negatives in what is currently being research - notably cloning and genetics. One Nobel Prize winner once (arrongantly) said that science leads and morals follow. I think that unwittingly he pointed out the major failure of science - morals and ethics aren't considered.

That much of this knowledge is freely distributed - partly again out of vanity and arrogance ("look at me, aren't I clever, look what I've discovered) just means that the "dangerous idiots" have easier access.

I cannot change things, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't concern me a little.
  • Options
    that's true maddog.

Sorry to do this here but I just wanna post a bit on the site that in no way am I anti-Muslim. I just feel #1 to call someone a terrorist is giving them power. So I came up with Muslim perverts, people who are perverting the Muslim religion. My Pakistani, Muslim friend liked it.

I'm getting so much out of this site. Meantime, just an FYI, in the US reservists who only joined the army thinking it was a good way to earn extra money doing things on the home front like helping out during floods or something...are headed for the Middle East. One guy my dad knows is in his 40's and has two kids. They don't care. So it's not a matter of if there will be a war...but when.
  • Options
    I saw an example of what I was talking about going on in this topic this weekend in Germany.

Now here's a so easy-to-fly plane, an advancement in technology, in too many hands...and some guy wings out (hmmm wings out ) and closes down a major city and its airport.

That's what I was talking about in this topic.;)