Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Raging Against Self Defense ~ Long Read & Worthwile

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't usually post anything like this or this long but considering some of our past discussions here I thought some might actually enjoy the read...btw, Happy New Year All!

The article is too long to print here...so I cut the center out and anyone interested can go to the url and read the whole thing. It does make you think.

Raging Against Self Defense:
A Psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality
By Sarah Thompson, M.D.
righter@therighter.com

"You don't need to have a gun; the police will protect you."

"If people carry guns, there will be murders over parking spaces and neighborhood basketball games."

"I'm a pacifist. Enlightened, spiritually aware people shouldn't own guns."

"I'd rather be raped than have some redneck militia type try to rescue me."
How often have you heard these statements from misguided advocates of victim disarmament, or even woefully uninformed relatives and neighbors? Why do people cling so tightly to these beliefs, in the face of incontrovertible evidence that they are wrong? Why do they get so furiously angry when gun owners point out that their arguments are factually and logically incorrect?

How can you communicate with these people who seem to be out of touch with reality and rational thought?

One approach to help you deal with anti-gun people is to understand their psychological processes. Once you understand why these people behave so irrationally, you can communicate more effectively with them.

Defense Mechanisms
Projection

Conclusion

By better understanding advocates of civilian disarmament, and by learning and practicing some simple techniques to deal with their psychological defenses, you will be much more effective in your efforts to communicate with anti-gun people. This will enable you to be more successful at educating them about the realities of firearms and self- defense, and their importance to our liberty and safety.

Educating others about firearms is hard work. It's not glamorous, and it generally needs to be done one person at a time. But it's a very necessary and important task. The average American supports freedom of speech and freedom of religion, whether or not he chooses to exercise them. He supports fair trials, whether or not he's ever been in a courtroom. He likewise needs to understand that self- defense is an essential right, whether or not he chooses to own or carry a gun.

© 2000, Sarah Thompson.

http://www.jpfo.org/ragingagainstselfdefense.htm

Comments

• Options
    And since every debate needs a proper opposing perspective to counter the oft exaggerated claims and allegations of the pro-gun lobby, Let us examine the fabricated spin which gun maniacs have long used to snow over the public to this supposed "right" and what the 2nd Amendment to our Constitution really intended.

http://www.saf.org/LawReviews/Herz1.html

Let the histrionics commence! lol.
  • Options
    Dang Clandestine, I thought my article was long.

But, as luck would have it I had already read it...and you will please note that both articles were written by jewish authors...I mention this because much of today's liberalism in the US is blamed on them!
  • Options
    Liberalism blamed on the Jewish lobby??? Thats a stretch. More like the ultra right fascism that is driving both our domestic and our foreign policies and our support for the Sharon government IMO. But hey, I guess our Jewish brethren have always gotten it coming and going.