Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

No Old People's Homes in Islamic World

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do Muslims treat the elderly? In the Islamic world there are no old people's homes. The strain of caring for one's parents in this most difficult time of their lives is considered an honor and blessing, and an opportunity for great spiritual growth. God asks that we not only pray for our parents, but act with limitless compassion, remembering that when we were helpless children they preferred us to themselves. Mothers are particularly honored: the Prophet (SAW) taught that 'Paradise lies at the feet of mothers'. It is reported that a man came to the Prophet and asked: "Messenger of Allah, who is the most deserving of good care from me?" The Prophet replied: "Your mother (which he repeated three times) then your father, then your nearest relatives in order".

When they reach old age, Muslim parents are treated mercifully, with the same kindness and selflessness.

In Islam, serving one's parents is a duty second only to prayer, and it is their right to expect it. It is considered despicable to express any irritation when, through no fault of their own, the old become difficult.

The Quran says: Your Lord has commanded that you worship none but Him, and be kind to parents. If either or both of them reach old age with you, do not say 'uff' to them or chide them, but speak to them in terms of honor and kindness. Treat them with humility, and say, 'My Lord! Have mercy on them, for they did care for me when I was little'. (17.23-4)
http://www.jamaat.org/islam/WomanMother.html
http://www.netspective.com/web-islsw/faq.cfm?library=2

Comments

• Options
    Isn't that lovely.
    You're missing a vital point though, in most Muslim countries women aren't allowed jobs anyway, so undoubtedly they'll end up looking after everyone.
    If you try and suggest the men stay at home I'll call you a liar.
    And if the man is given a choice between PAYING for his parents to live in comfort in a home, or letting his wife look after them for free in his undoubtedly cramped house then he'll let his wife do it.
  • Options
    There is nothing in Islam to stop a woman working

however the husband's responsible to support the wife and not the other way round. He MUST go out to work. Anything which the women may earn is hers - she does NOT have to give it to him. The wife is considered the queen of house. Traditionally it's the woman who looks after the children, bring them up. Again there is nothing in the Qur'an or Prophetic sayings to say that the man can't stay at home.

Stop showing your ignorance of Islam versus the chauvinistic culture in which it operates corruptly in some countries. The Prophet's wife Khajidah was a successful businesswoman -he didn't ban her to work. And as Prince Charles said in this speech:

We should also distinguish Islam from the customs of some Islamic states. Another obvious Western prejudice is to judge the position of women in Islamic society by the extreme cases. Yet Islam is not a monolith and the picture is not simple. Remember, if you will, that Islamic countries like Turkey, Egypt and Syria gave women the vote as early as Europe did its women - and much earlier than in Switzerland! In those countries women have long enjoyed equal pay, and the opportunity to play a full working role in their societies. The rights of Muslim women to property and inheritance, to some protection if divorced, and to the conducting of business, were rights prescribed by the Qur'an 14 hundred years ago, even if they were not everywhere translated into practice. In Britain at least, some of these rights were novel even to my grandmother's generation! Benazir Bhutto and Begum Khaleda Zia became prime ministers in their own traditional societies when Britain had for the first time ever in its history elected a female prime minister. That, I think, does not smack of a mediaeval society.
    http://www.the-heart.net/princecharlesislam.htm
    You were only 1400 years late.
    As for paying to stay at your house, did you pay as a baby/toddler/kid to stay at your Mummy and Daddy's house? What kind of dumb remark is that?
  • Options
    Re: There is nothing in Islam to stop a woman working
    Originally posted by Aisha
    And as Prince Charles said in this speech

I find it highly humourous and ironic that Prince Charles, a Protestant and due to be made the head of the Church of England speaks so highly about Islam, even though you have told us that as an adult he is going to hell because he isn't a muslim.

As for paying to live at home, what I said was Given a choice between paying for your parents to live IN a home, as in OAP home, or letting them stay at home while the guys wife looks after her.

And yes, you pick 3 countries that are, at heart Western in culture. They have crime rates that are similar to any other western nation, rape of female tourists is worse than in other holiday spots, and they maintain huge standing armies, and have terrible human rights records.
    Not really models for good, moral countries are they.
  • Options
    Read Islam and other Religions

One is not to judge, Prince Charles may well become Muslim, or be Muslim at heart. Many Christians / Clergy in their heart KNOW the Trinity is false and believe in one God. Most atheists are brought up in a Christian background and reject Church theology but then assume all religion is false.

http://www.thesite.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29096&perpage=15&highlight=adam&pagenumber=3

Whowhere you said "Aisha does have a point, ..., it's their (women's) fault we don't live in paradise *GRRRR at Eve*". YOU ARE BEING SEXIST. I'd explained in the link above on page 3 that in Islam BOTH Eve AND ADAM were tempted and sinned unlike the Judeo-Christian version in which EVE ALONE tempted Adam. BECAUSE OF THIS your culture and Church (Fathers) debated whether women had souls or not! The Qur'an gave woman a soul 1400 years ago in 4:1:

O mankind! reverence your Guardian-Lord, who created you from a single person, created, of like nature, His mate, and from them twain scattered (like seeds) countless men and women;- reverence Allah, through whom ye demand your mutual (rights), and (reverence) the wombs (That bore you): for Allah ever watches over you.

http://www.thesite.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29096&perpage=15&highlight=adam&pagenumber=4
  • Options
    Aisha, if women have souls according to Islam, then how come they don't have a say in many muslim-ruled country.
    If I am not mistaking, a statement made by a woman, is worth half as much, as the one made by a man.
  • Options
    Search for "Why two women witnesses"

http://islamicweb.com/begin/two_witnesses.htm
  • Options
    What happens to an elederly parent who has only one son who is not married and does not live nearby?

My dad lived in a different country to his mother, she put herself into a home.

Then my dad died so she had no son anyway...and was looked after wonderfully by the people in the home.
  • Options
    Paying for nursing home care is infinately greater than failing to adequately look after your elderly family at home.
  • Options
    As for 'prince' Charles becoming a mulsim...not likely, he saw what happened to 'princess' Diana.

It is widely believed in the US that she was 'put away' by the british home office for turning turk as it used to be said when one became an islamic!

I'm inclined to believe it is true based upon much information about her affairs that have become public.

btw, It is nice to have someone here to stand up for the islamics...I know that I tend to bash them a bit but have personally liked most that I have met...but then I'm a people person at heart.:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Paying for nursing home care is infinately greater than failing to adequately look after your elderly family at home.

The most pertinent point raised here.

Personally I would prefer that my parent got the proper care, rather than my feeble attempts...
  • Options
    Good topic and nice insight into your religion. I don't believe the West is out to do away with nor slander the Muslim religion. But the radical extremists who want to destroy the West have made it them or us. In the US, there's commercials reminding people that the radical fringe Muslims are the enemies. In fact, many of our special ops forces are Muslims.
  • Options
    Re: No Old People's Homes in Islamic World
    Originally posted by Aisha
    How do Muslims treat the elderly? In the Islamic world there are no old people's homes.

No?

Then how do you explain this news story during the Afghan war with the Taleban (Qur'an-fearing Muslims)?

"Pentagon admits US jets bombed old people's home in Afghan city
    By Rupert Cornwell in Washington
    24 October 2001

The Pentagon has acknowledged that American jets had probably bombed an old people's home on the outskirts of the city of Herat, in the most serious instance so far in the Afghanistan campaign of the "collateral damage" that caused such controversy in the Gulf and Kosovo.

etc etc ... " Full story at http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=101140

Another source ...

"Three U.S. bombs went astray in weekend strikes in Afghanistan, landing in a residential neighborhood northwest of the capital, Kabul, and near a home for the elderly outside the city of Herat, Pentagon officials said yesterday."

ESTHER SCHRADER
    LOS ANGELES TIMES
    24 October 2001

Want me to wipe the egg off your face, Aisha?