Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Age gaps

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey
im currently in a relationship with 21 year old guy who I've know for a year and a half, I'm only 15 and a bit worried about other people's reactions to our relationship, especially my parents reactions. Anyone been in the same situation??
Just wondered what sort of age gap situations you've been invovled in.
Thanks
Katy

Comments

• Options
    My G/F is 18 and im 22, no-one i know has a problem with it. I don't, she doesn't, so who cares! Im in love with her and a couldn't give a shit about what anyone thinks.

Age is just a number, if you care about him, and he cares about you, why should u worry?
  • Options
    Hmmmm...

OK - as regards age gaps...

What you are going to have to bear in mind, and this goes for the initial poster and the person who replied, is that your situations are a bit different... One is ok, whilst one is effectively not.

In the first case, the girl is only 15 - still a minor in the eyes of the law... and everybody else for that matter... With the chap being 21, the difference is a big thing! Him being recognised as an adult and you as a minor will always be met with a certain level of 'hostility' (couldn't think of a better word... too tired... :eek2:) to which there is not really anything you will be able to do anything about. What you have to bear in mind is, and this is really not meant in a patronising or derogatory way, is that people will think "Why is he not with somebody his own age". Also - if/when you get around to doing certain activities, this could land the bloke in an awful lot of trouble - statutory rape etc etc etc... Fair enough, you wouldn't report him, but if your mother or father took a dislike to the chap then the shit could hit the fan!!!

The 18 and the 22 year old - this is pretty much fine in everybodies eyes! You are both consenting adults and so all is cool. Basically a different situation to the couple above.

To close Katygee, my opinion on this matter is that you should really try to find a bloke closer to your own age. Fair enough I don't know you or the bloke, and I am not intending to judge anybody on this matter, but being 23 (so not exactly old...), there is not a chance that I would even consider your situation age wise, or to put it into scale, I wouldn't think of starting to see a 17 year old. I would also have to question myself why he is not with somebody of similar age, or just somebody a couple of years older.

Food for thought... :)

G.

P.S. A quote from my brother who was watching when I was typing this: "Ewwwwwwwwwww... Its sick!" - Says it all really, but I tried to phrase it in a more gentile manner... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I was 22 when met my 29yr old ex. It doesnt matter what others think.
  • Options

Fair enough if you are both in your 20s (been there etc etc etc I am 23 and was seeing a 33 year old for a bit...) - that is totally not an issue, but when one is a child it is really not a good thing... When both are adults, the situation is different...
  • Options
    Yes suppose, didnt even think bout that there, the problems that could be caused and occur due to her age
  • Options
    Cool...

Aye - seeing eye to eye on this one... :)

Well chaps, I hope everybody had a good Christmas day (for those that celebrate it, anyways... :D) and that the rest of the holidays go on well!

Off to bed now... Need sleep!!

G.
  • Options
    I totally agree with G...

Sorry lass, but it is wrong... he is far too old for you at your age! I'm only 17 and i would still really have to think about what i'd be doing if i was seeing a 15 year old...

(Hello G... thought i'd join ya!)
  • Options
    But going by all this most of you seem to say 'Ah, as soon as it's legal never mind'.

I don't know. I wouldn't go out with someone younger than me but it seems to be a thing guys do. You just all seem to say the same thing to 15 year olds: 'too young, stay away'.
    Things in life are more complicated than age and numbers.

But saying all that I still don't see the attraction and even I wouldn't want to go for any 15 year olds I know. Maybe its down to maturity/immaturity and all that crap too.
  • Options
    15 does seem a bit young for a 21 year old if you ask me. No offence but what does a 21 yr old man want from a 15 yr old girl? Just be careful hun!

I'm 22 and my boyf's 23, no not really an age gap there!
  • Options
    what do your parents say? im 14 and my boyfriend's 16 and they arent exactly pleased...
  • Options
    Yeah...
    Im 14 my bf is 19...no one says anything except for stupid immature lads being pathetic.
    My best mate is 15 her fiance is 22..they have a kid aswel.
  • Options
    Yeah...
    Im 14 my bf is 19...no one says anything except for stupid immature lads being pathetic.
  • Options
    Just to clarify...

Daisychainthing - My problems with this 'relationship' are not just because of the legal issues. My problems with this also run into the mental gap that will (should!) exist between the two parties involved. It is just plain wrong.

S_M_B - without being funny, your 'situations' have been covered several times, and I *still* have a few points. Again, this is not supposed to be offensive... but:

1. You say you have a boyfriend - do you not keep posting about lads you keep copping off with?!??!?
    2. Around your area, it is not exactly uncommon for this sort of thing to arise - and I really don't know what the guys are playing at! Fair enough it is 'cool' for a younger girl to be out with an older guy - but 14 and 19 (don't get me started on the 15-22 with a kid thing - I have already posted on that a few months ago! Is she not pregnant again?????) is just daft. I can't quite understand the chaps thinking...

People may notice that I speak my mind - I do, I just try my best to get the points across without being too insensitive, but this is one subject that touches a nerve for some reason - kiddy fiddling in my books! Sorry! :mad:

So - basically, these whole situations are wrong in my eyes.

G.
  • Options
    Why a decent 21 year old would want to go out with a girl is beyond me. So, I am of the opinion that age gaps are perfectly reasonable when you are above a certain age.

I just think it's 'ewwwwwwwwwwww' to quote g's brother!

And in this instance I really don't care if I cause offense! :p
  • Options
    a 21yr old man going out with a 15yr old girl is worng. I couldn't agree more with G. When I was 17, I was seeing a guy who was 22 (although he thought I was nearly 19!!) and I found that there was such a HUGE mental gap there. By that I mean, around him I felt really young because he would tell me about things he'd done and I felt like I had nothing to say on the matter. He had more life experience that me, which made me feel about 10!!
    I think you just have to question what's wrong with this guy if he can't get a girlfriend his own age?:confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by sexy_manchester_babe

I'm sorry but that is completely fucked up.
  • Options
    when i was 17 i went out with a 26 yr old, i dont think there is anything wrong with age gap relationships although i do have a problem when it comes to like 40 yrs difference
  • Options
    Usually if its over a 40yr gap its down to cash. I.e Anna-Nicole Smith.
  • Options
    lol yep... is it me or is it always the guys that are alot older?
  • Options
    Usually, but women live longer so whoever rumoured women dont have brains has no brains. So ladies dont have long to wait for there partners to die.

Although not saying all are that way but a good percentage.
  • Options
    i don't feel a mental gap with my b/f, but i've always been told im really mature for my age, sometimes it feels like he's intimidated by me ! :(
    the thing is, and i'm not justifying 15 & 21/2 yr olds with kids, but 14 year old guys are idiots, have been there...unfortunatley
    and as long as your not doing anything you dont feel comfortable with, or doing anything to affect your health, i don't see that much of a problem, i can see why other people would though
  • Options
    im 15 and been out with a 24 yr old, i really dont think that age gaps matter as long as he is understanding of your different needs/lifestyles
  • Options
    Age does not matter one bit............unless of course its an adult and a minor.
    Why would an adult want a relationship with a minor? To me any adult who has a relationship with someone under the age of consent is totally stupid. I cannot understand why someone over say 20 would even contemplate seeing someone aged 15........its crazy.
    I have not got a problem with other people dating older partners, but as I say long as both are consenting adults they can do what the hell they like.
  • Options
    Mmmmm

15 & 21?! Why would a 21 year old ermmm man?! want to do with a 15 year old girl?! In a way I think its kinda creepy & a bit pervy . . . does he pick you up from school etc?!

Sorry Im really tired :o i am just chattin shit about not much! My friend Ann is 18 & she is with a man who is 38!!! Aaaah 20 years! He messes her around big time & it's obvious that he isn't intrested in being in a relationship with Ann . . only when it suits him, etc etc :D

But I am 15 & I suppose yeah it's ermmm 'cool' to be with a older guy but in the eyes of the law depending what the sit is its wrong!

Just be careful :) Mwaaaa
  • Options
    IN_ya_face - 15 and 24!???!?!?

*bites tongue*

:mad: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek2: :crazyeyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by sexy_manchester_babe
    Yeah...

What sort of fucked up, crazy huys are they then?!?!?

There is something seriously wrong in your area!

Eithr that or they are very very very ugly!
  • Options
    Way back (somewhere in the dawns of pre-history - or the early Eighties) when I was 15, there were several girls at my school who were dating older guys.

For the girl's part, they had themselves a boyfriend with a car, with some cash, and who made them feel like they were mature to have pulled an older guy.

The girls thought they'd pulled a pretty cool bloke. Certainly none were ashamed.

Weirdly, none of the guys at my school were known to be dating older girls. Still, we all knew that girls had more sense, right? :)

In my later teens and twenties, I knew only a handful of guys my age who dated schoolgirls. Without exception they were all blokes who'd been unable to impress girls their own ages. None of the relationships lasted once the girls had left school, and gained enough life experience to discover thet their blokes hadn't matured past school-age ever.

It is not simply about age gaps. At 15 you are still a kid, still live at home, haven't ever held a full-time job, and generally don't have much if any experience of real life. That's more about maturity through experience than age.
  • Options
    My mother and step-dad has 12 years difference.

My father and step-mum has 10 years difference.

In both cases, the male is older than the female. The only issue there is the fact that ladies have a longer life expectancy by about 4 years. Having an older male will hence widen the age gap. If the female was oldest of the two, then the age gap is physically decreased.

That is my theory on older people and it doesn't matter at all, as all four of my parents are in love and they get on with each other. On par with 80% of the replies on this thread, both parties in young-age relationships have to be 16+ otherwise it will be gaol bait..
  • Options
    well im 18 years old, my boyfriend is 27. we've been together since i was 16 years old. he's a graphic designer, he's studied at uni for 7 yrs, he has a full time job and is a decent human being.God knows what he saw in me but he saw something.he was never happy about me being 9 yrs younger than him and he always worried about what other would say, but thankfully he stuck with his heart.

age gaps depend totally on the situation.ive always been mature for my age, so my parents weren't 2 shocked to find out my boyfriend was 27 yrs old. their minds were at ease when they met him.
    we've been together for a year and a half and if we'd have listened to what every one said about the age gap, we'd have never been together today.
  • Options
    So what! As long as your happy! :D;):p