Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Contraceptive Injection

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My girlfriend had 'the' contraceptive injection the other day and I just want to find out some information about it e.g. sucess rate, mood changes. I don't know what the proper name of the injection is so it's difficult trying to find it on the Internet. Please could you point me in the right direction for information on it & if any of you females are on it any experiences would be great (so I know whether I should expect a black eye when I next see my girlfriend!).

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    There are alot of diffrent names for the contreception injection (sp??) There is a 6 month one, 3 month one and if im right a 1 month one, my experience is not very nice, i was on the 6 month injection for 18 months and was on the hole time! Mood changes didnt accure cos im a grumpy cow anyway :lol: but the being on all the time did get me down after a while.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it's the 3 month one she's taken. Being 'on' all the time seems a bit paradoxical to me. You take the injection so you can have 'safer' sex but if your always on then you probably won't want to have sex! Life for you women is so hard I have sympathy for you!
  • Options
    my experience with the contraceptive injection was a nightmare. It made me seriously depressed and my libido completely disappeared, it wouldnt have been so bad but i had to wait 3 months for the injection to wear off before i even felt vaguely human again.
  • Options
    I LOVE THE CONTRACEPTIVE INJECTION!!!!!!!

1. 99.9% effective..legally, they can't say 100% but it's pretty damn near enough it! lmao
    2. no periods on your 2nd jag
    3. no need to remember to pop a pill for a shag..
    4. no cramps:D:D
    5. shagfest for three months baby!!:naughty:

bad points are..(in my experience)

1. bad pms when the jag wears off in the last week
    2. the odd spot in the last week, too
    3. it's given in the bum!!:eek:
  • Options
    All of those women I've known personally to use this method found weight gain a serious side-effect. It seems to act a little like some steroid treatments in causing some fluid-retention too.

However, it is a very effective method of contraception with pretty low maintenance. I have (again personally) known it to fail, and my ex-wife got pregnant while on the injection, which had to be aborted because of fears over possible side-effects of the drug back then. However, after that they simply upped the frequency from an injection every 12 weeks to one every 10 weeks and there were no further problems.
  • Options
    Originally posted by M12_GTO
    I'm pretty sure it's the 3 month one she's taken. Being 'on' all the time seems a bit paradoxical to me. You take the injection so you can have 'safer' sex but if your always on then you probably won't want to have sex! Life for you women is so hard I have sympathy for you!

:lol: finally a bloke who sympathises!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Black_Knight
    All of those women I've known personally to use this method found weight gain a serious side-effect. It seems to act a little like some steroid treatments in causing some fluid-retention too.

I've actually lost weight since i've been on it. For me depo has worked extremely well. The only real problem is that if you do get pregnant while on it, you don't know because you don't have periods anyway, so relatively regular pregnancy tests are advised.

http://www.fpa.org.uk/guide/contracep/coninj.htm is a good site for information :)
  • Options
    I think the problem is, that bad side effects are very common, and although a lot of people get on great with it, If you happen to be one of the many who have bad side effects there is nothing you can do about it for 3 whole months, which can seem like a lifetime.Its not like the pill, which you can just stop taking if you dont get on with it.
  • Options
    my mate is on the 'three month' one and she's been on it for about 6-9 months and she hasnt had a period, she's been bleeding ever since she started.
    so i'd say it varies she'll probably have mood swings as its new to her. but it still protects her from pregency so its all cool!
  • Options
    I thought the manufacturers of depoproven had stopped for the moment - for some bizarre reason not one pharmacy local to me has recieved supplies for twelve weeks. Even my doctor backed them up, the company has not been supplying the depo and I can't seem to obtain it for love nor money! Anyone know what's going on with it?

I used to be on this until recently (had to stop through no fault of my own - as above!) This is a highly useful and popular contraceptive with young women as it does not really require much effort! It's not like the Pill, which is risky to use (in my opinion at least) and is not high maitenance like the Pill either. Easy peasey.

There are problems. Lucky people seem to get either light or non-existant periods, while not so lucky people get very heavy periods that last forever and ever and ever. I was unfortunate enough to get the latter. For some people the prospect of periods all the time results in less sex that they hoped (maybe that's the "contraceptive bit" :rolleyes: ;) ) and it's obviously not very nice. From the people I know who have been on the injection the majority seem to have had horrible side effects, but that might just be my friends!

One thing I found was that my mood improved on the injection, I felt a lot happier in myself, which is strange considering you would have thought with such heavy repetative periods I would have lived in a continuous state of PMT...

On a side note: I was watching a programme on chemical castration for sex offenders - did you know depoproven is the drug they use to castrate them? :eek: