Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Higher education priorities

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Charles Clarke has said that the 50% higher ed target may have to be downgraded and that the priority is equality of oppurtunity rather then the largest numbers possible.

Do you agree?

Do you think that having 50% graduates is necessary or desirable for the prosperity of Britain?

Comments

• Options
    The more the better. And if someone can't graduate from University, they should learn some technical skill or a trade. :lol:
  • Options
    Fifty percent is admirable and a better educated population would lead to greater prosperity.

Nonetheless, should EVERYBODY go to university? Vocations still exist which require no uni education. I agree with Clarke though. I believe all should have the same opportunity to go to university.
  • Options
    I believe that equality of opportunity is more desirable that higher numbers of people attending univeristy.

If the majority of people attended university and obtained a degree then the value of a degree would be eroded even further.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I believe that equality of opportunity is more desirable that higher numbers of people attending univeristy.

If the majority of people attended university and obtained a degree then the value of a degree would be eroded even further.

Yes.
    Should I graduate, I'll end up with a BSc (Hons), but will probably need an MSc to be competetive...and that's now, let alone with 50% of people with a degree of some kind.
  • Options
    50% in higher education -- fine. 50% to university -- heck, no! The whole purpose of universities is to be academically elite.

(Anyone considering criticising my point of view should first note the use of the modified term academically elite.)
  • Options
    Originally posted by MacKenZie
    50% in higher education -- fine. 50% to university -- heck, no! The whole purpose of universities is to be academically elite.

But most higher education institutions these days ARE universities.

OK yes, some unis have more prestige than others (you wouldn't say that attending the University of East London was as prestigious as going to UCL, would you? :);)).
  • Options
    Originally posted by meritlib

But most higher education institutions these days ARE universities.

University Colleges...

Personally I find this a difficult issue. I'd like to think that we will improve the academic base of this country. Unfortunately all we seem to achieve is a devaluing of the qualifications that people achieve.

Now tell me, what is wrong with apprenticeships?