Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Holding Hands

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you see holding hands as something "intimate" in your relationship or do you also hold hands with friends?

Comments

• Options
    I see it as something that can be intimate when in a relationship, and I don't really hold hands with friends.

I'm a guy though, and of course not many of us are too prone to holding hands with our (especialy when they're male!) friends. You do see a lot of women holding hands with their (female) friends though, but only with their close ones, which I guess would make it sorta nice and intimate for them too, just not sexual.

*is rubbish at this sort of thing*
  • Options
    Re: Holding Hands
    Originally posted by Sir Cum
    Do you see holding hands as something "intimate" in your relationship or do you also hold hands with friends?

I see it as something intimate, my boyf's the only person that I hold hands with.
  • Options
    i hold hands with my husband, son and sometimes my mum, so I think its a pretty close thing to do. I dont generally hold hands with my friends.
  • Options
    I'm really into the whole holding hands thing.

It's sooo sweet when you see two people holding hands in the street. Well I think so anyway :p

I'd only do it with my girlfriend though, would never do it to a friend.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Holding Hands
    Originally posted by Faith

I see it as something intimate, my boyf's the only person that I hold hands with.

Ditto. I think that most of the girlies who do platonic hand holding are 14 or 15 year olds who are part of the 'cool' set at school and want to emphasise their little clique and exclusiveness...
  • Options
    well i hold hands with my girlfriend and her only. once when i was blindfolded i grabbed one of my girlfriends best mate's hands and i just held it... oops. my girlfriend didnt mind though cos she and her friends sorta hug all the time. i guess holding hands is a bit different though
  • Options
    i would only hold hands in a relationship have never held hands with my friends - apart from maybe when i was drunk and needed help to stay upright! used to hold hands with my mum a lot! i would say it is pretty intimate and i wouldnt hold just anybodys hand!
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed

But I'm just bitter.

So am I

But I think it's nice to see other people happy and in love, even if I can't be :D
  • Options
    Hmm...it is special, but then I do it with my friends as well.

Actually to be honest I'm more likely to walk around with my arm round a b/f. hold hands or at least link arms with certain mates all the time, others never.
  • Options
    I hold hands with b/friend, my son and mates if I'm pissed :D
  • Options
    I hold hands with my boyfriend, but not with my friends. When I am drunk I hold hands with my friends, but then only if they're male and it is usually to keep me upright or for them to drag me from one place to another!

I don't really have many female friends and those I have don't come out drinking with me, we just go to the pub so I'm ver really drunk with them, though I imagine that if I were I would hold their hands!
  • Options
    I frequently hug and link arms with my friends, or yeah hold their hands when i'm *slightly* over the limit... but it is an intimate thing - I'm more likely to hold hands with my sister, mum or boyfriend.
  • Options
    I hold hands with bfs and vey close friends ;)
  • Options
    I hold hands with boyfriends, and close girl mates...or anyone when I'm pissed. Of course, when I walk down the road holding hands with my girl mates I get funny looks. =/ I don't care. At least they haven't seen me getting off with them. :p
  • Options
    i lick arms with my friends but i hold hands with the person im dating (which can be a boy or girl im bi) i see it as something special and can show other (with out them pulling a face) of how u feel for each other

maybe thats just me tho
  • Options
    doh!! i mean to put i link arms not i licks arm i link arms with my friends
  • Options
    I hold hands with my boyfriend, or when I'm dragging any of my friends around :D Every so often when someone is going to slowly I'll grab them by the hand and drag them wherever I want to go. I tend not to do it with other girls though... but then I don't have many girl mates.
  • Options
    I'm not into holding hands, I think it's soppy. Besides, if I am holding hands with one of my men down the street, what hapens if I bump into one of my other men? *not a slag or anything* (whistling innocently)
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    I'm not into holding hands, I think it's soppy. Besides, if I am holding hands with one of my men down the street, what hapens if I bump into one of my other men? *not a slag or anything* (whistling innocently)
    hahaha:D

They feel jealous and wish they were him? and think he's tamed ya and is a lucky sod!:)
  • Options
    ..wheras if I am not holding hands, I can make out they're my brother, or something.
  • Options
    I like holding hands when i'm with a guy i do think its sweet :) and i do hold hands with close mates aswell especially when were drunk lol :D
  • Options
    I hold hands with my boyfriend but i sometimes hold hands with my nan or mum if i'm trying to be supportive (like if they're crying or upset) I link with my best mate occasionally and have been known to link daddy dearest. lol

But have you noticed that depending on the person you are holding hands with, you will hold theirs differently. I mean, me and the bf link fingers while holding hands, if that makes any sense! And with my mam or someone i just hold hands normally.

:chin: Maybe it's just me and my wierd holdy-handy social rules!
  • Options
    I hold a couple of my friends hands a lot, funnily enough all my female goth-like friends and not the girlygirl friends.

Oh and one guy, but I'm 'seeing' him. :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by One of the Nobodies

But have you noticed that depending on the person you are holding hands with, you will hold theirs differently. I mean, me and the bf link fingers while holding hands, if that makes any sense! And with my mam or someone i just hold hands normally.

Yup, me too.
  • Options
    I see it as more a gesture to show that you're very close to someone whether through friendship or intimacy.
    never usually hold hands just tend to link arms but very rarely. Usually with my best mate or a boyfriend.
  • Options
    Originally posted by One of the Nobodies

:chin: Maybe it's just me and my wierd holdy-handy social rules!

well i hold hands with my girlfriend and origianlly we just linked arms, then we started holding hands normally, and now we link fingers as well, and sort of hug-walk sometimes hehe, i think that i may have to copyright that.......
  • Options
    i just make him walk three steps behind me, with his head down...

i don't like holding hands acutally... dont' know why though. i need my space i think thats why.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner

well i hold hands with my girlfriend and origianlly we just linked arms, then we started holding hands normally, and now we link fingers as well, and sort of hug-walk sometimes hehe, i think that i may have to copyright that.......

lol, i know a couple who 'hug walk' all the time. It's so funny because if you watch them walking, it looks like they're carrying eachother down the street!

I've never been able to get the hang of it myself, i think its mainly because my boyfriend is quite a bit taller than me so it makes things a bit difficult. Theres a knack to it aswell. You have to be walking at exactally the same speed and with the same footsteps as the other person or it just doesn't work! You have to develop a kind of 'rhythm' with eachother in order not to look like complete prats while walking down the street. To much like hard work for my liking! :lol::D
  • Options
    holding hands is a cool thing with couples, but I hold hands with my close friends too.