Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

US Missile Defence System (aka Star Wars)- a big mistake

The US is pressing ahead with its Son of Star Wars missile defence programme. This is an extremely worrying development in itself. Even more worrying, however, are reports that Blair is minded to allow the Americans use mainland Britain to position some of their early warning stations.

This missile defence system is just a very bad idea. It has single-handedly destroyed the ABM Treaty that has worked SO well for the last few decades. By removing the Mutual Assured Destruction principle the US is likely to produce a new arms race and further proliferation of nuclear weapons.

Russia has already said that if the system is built they will work ways to penetrate it- most likely by increasing the number of nuclear warheads and decoys so a number of them will slip the net. Or they could just put bombers in the air round-the-clock like in the past, or increased number of submarines near the US coastline.

In addition other countries, namely China, India, Pakistan or North Korea, will no doubt double their efforts to acquire more and better missile systems to beat the shield. Not to mention how global tension is going to rise if it is believed one country with nuclear capability has a fail-safe protection against retaliation.

The worst thing is, most military analysts and observers believe the system will NOT work. Some missiles will invariably slip through, and there are always other methods of delivery. So the world might be about to embark into another nuclear arms race because of the ego and ignorance of one US President and the bank balances of a number of defence contractors.

And what of Britain? Well it seems that the US has or will officially apply for the use of some UK bases as early warning stations. And if that happens it is quite probable that Blair will agree to it (no surprise there really). Which will make Britain the first target of an attack should any country in the future make war against the US. Great.

More info
here .
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm interested to know how they intend to pay for it.

Bush is commited to reducing tax and thus govt revenue but this program is likely to cost over a trillion dollars, it just doesn't add up........
  • Options
    The other day they had yet another failure in a 'kill missile' test. Each one is a setback to the whole programme and an increase in the budget.

One can only hope the next Democrat President will bin the whole project.
  • Options
    Another thing that should arise if they go through with the project.....

What justification will the US have for possessing nuclear weapons?

If they meant purely as a deterrant then there function will be removed if they have a proper defensive barrier, surely they would have no reason to keep their arsenal of nukes.

The only justification is if they use one strategy I have seen suggested ( in light of the repeated failures you mention) to arm the star wars defence system with nukes so they don't have to be so accurate.....

Bonkers :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Indeed... and since the idea is to shoot down the missile in the initial phase of the flight, they would incidentally vaporise the launch area below, thus obliterating the country in question in an act of self-defence and within international law.

Neat eh? :D
  • Options
    It will have to benefit Britian and it will. In our time, and this is hapening already, explosive and technolgies used to deliver them will advance. Also information about how to create better explosive will be dispersed through the Internet. Therefore, countries will need defenses that control what nut jobs do. (Because there will be too many of them to monitor.)
  • Options
    pnj, if the Bush doctrine is to be credible then a missile shield is indeed a waste of money (and equally so by your own admission that the real threat is nutcases with portable bombs).

Not much a missile shield can do to stop terrorism im afraid. All it DOES do is line the pockets of the administration's cozy MIC buddies and the Bush family bank account with our tax dollars.

So if you like Bush so much you wont mind him extorting more money from you to make his family richer than it already is, all in the name of "patriotism". :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Well, Pakistan is headed towards the perverted Muslim sphere...people who are perverting the Muslim religion into a death cult. And they have nuclear weapons. And North Korea are so isolated...they think they're more powerful than they are.
  • Options
    surely a pretty good delivery system already exists by way of smuggling heroin into the country. ships full of the stuff arrive unchecked. a nuclear deveice could obviously be delivered this way and assembled in a tower block,that way it doesnt have to bloody fly. this also the ideal way of delivering bio/chemical substances which will be directly injected into large numbers of the population. who then infect the rest of us. easy realy.
  • Options
    pnj, I seriously doubt you have much understanding at all about the governments of the middle east and how much a threat these extremist organisations are to the status quo.

First off, No Muslim extremists are going to oust Musharoff let alone the Saudi Royal Family or any other Middle Eastern government.

As for death cult, that's a misnomer. Death Cults are about isolation from society and suicide pacts within the community. Terrorists are merely radicals who use religion (catholic, Protestant, Muslim, etc..) as an excuse. Since Al Queda originated within Muslim Society its natural that they take whatever aspect of the religion that suits their hateful intentions regardless of whether it is in keeping with the broader principles that may govern adherents to that belief system.

You just keep using these rhetorical terms to emphaisize your position, but frankly you need to learn alot more about how geo-politics works and the actual dynamics at work in the cultures you appear bash in their entirety.

This whole WoT is more about the unbridled greed and lust to exert US control as widely as possible around the globe than it is about actually finding and eliminating terrorism. In point of fact to a far larger percentage of the planet it is our government that is the biggest terrorist organisation int he world. The fact that its a legally recognised state entity doesnt change the damage we cause to millions and millions of lives every year.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Indeed... and since the idea is to shoot down the missile in the initial phase of the flight, they would incidentally vaporise the launch area below, thus obliterating the country in question in an act of self-defence and within international law.

Neat eh? :D

If I remember correctly, this isn't possible, because in order for a nuclear weapon to detonate correctly an extremely precise, controlled explosion has to compress the fissile material evenly in order for it to reach critical mass.

Highly unlikely that a collision with a unexpected outside force like a missile would set off a nuclear weapon....the radioactive material would be spread out over the ground underneath however, but this would be far less devastating than if the weapon were to detonate.

I personally don't support the missile defense plan because I don't believe it will work before several nuclear countries develop ballistic missiles that could reach the US. North Korea is already well on its way.

That being said, I would support it if it would work. Maybe I'm just a selfish bastard, but with the anarchy in the international system, I want every bit of protection that I can get.

And Aladdin, I really doubt that the Russians will be able to devote the resources needed to develop means to defeat the system. They can't afford to keep their missile subs from rusting on the docks, and had to sell their last aircraft carrier for scrap. They have many more pressing needs.
  • Options
    If the Russians thought the US was about to obtain a shield that would protect it from attack, you can bet they will devote all their resources to further develop their missiles. Call them- and me- paranoid if you will but the thought of a USA no longer concerned with the threat of nuclear retaliation is rather frightening. As I said earlier Mutual Assured Destruction is the best deterrent there could be. That is the way it should stay.

But it is countries like North Korea or even China that will most worried about this. At the end of the day the Russians still have enough warheads and methods of delivery to inflict devastation on the US. The other two are in a more precarious situation.

The US would think twice before going into a war with a nuclear-capable North Korea. This of course already applies to China, India, Pakistan... But if the threat of nuclear retaliation was eliminated you can see there is very little to stop the USA to wage war at, invade or bomb those countries. Bush has already labelled N. Korea a member of the 'axis of evil' (for reasons no one in the world understands I hasten to add) so it's not surprising if the Koreans are a bit touchy.

I was watching the news just now as the White House gave the official go-ahead to the project, and I see they are now talking about defence against "a rogue state launching one or several missiles" against the US. This is of course a big downgrade from the original Star Wars programme so loved by Reagan and an admission that the shield could not handle a multi-missile attack. So what purpose would serve North Korea to launch ONE missile at America, even if it managed to reach its target? It might destroy a city but that's about it. The attacking power and resources of the US would remain intact and N Korea would be promptly obliterated.

The biggest threat the West currently faces, by Bush's own admission, is terrorism. Perhaps he should be concentrating in tackling the problem and increasing security at airports, ports and other points of entry into the country instead of buying the world's most expensive fireworks.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    If the Russians thought the US was about to obtain a shield that would protect it from attack, you can bet they will devote all their resources to further develop their missiles. Call them- and me- paranoid if you will but the thought of a USA no longer concerned with the threat of nuclear retaliation is rather frightening. As I said earlier Mutual Assured Destruction is the best deterrent there could be. That is the way it should stay.

But it is countries like North Korea or even China that will most worried about this. At the end of the day the Russians still have enough warheads and methods of delivery to inflict devastation on the US. The other two are in a more precarious situation.

My emphasis in one of my majors (International Relations) is International Security and Political Economy.

I can tell you, after doing a thesis on this, that the Russians are in TERRIBLE financial staits. A full 40% of their income goes to pay the interest on loans to foreign banks. Not the prinicple, the interest. Anywhere from 100-200 billion dollars has be siphoned out of the country since the collapse of the Soviet Union by corrupt politicians and the Russian Mafia. They cannot pay their soldiers. They can't pay to convert useless defense industries to civilian use. They can't pay for the cleanup of the pollution throught the country which affects food production.

It is very unlikely that they could justify to an already discontent population further austerity cuts to fund these kind of programs. I'll concede that this would be a very important consideration, seeing as they would lose even more power in the international sphere...but I find it highly unlikely given their precarious situation. Politicians are politicians, they want to stay in power and this would almost certainly lead to their ouster.

North Korea, no real threat. Even if they could develop the missile to carry them to the US they couldn't afford to make enough to be a legitimate threat.

China, a definately threat in the future. They already have missiles that can reach the US. Would they really risk losing their biggest trading partner, the reason for their 8% average annual growth?

Hey, you could be right. I think there are more obstacles to it than benefits though.
  • Options
    Yes, M.A.D is a significant deterrent. But I believe the prospect of attacking a country that is invincible to your most powerful weapon is also a deterrent. Noone in their right mine would attack a country, or a group of countries if you had no chance of harming them, but faced utter annhilation if you tried.
  • Options
    For a start a nuclear war would never happen as wars are about control of resources such as markets and access to raw materials so using nuclear weapons on a country would be defeating the puropse of any war as nuclear weapons would destroy the resources which the attacking country wanted to control.

That is why in all the major wars since World War II of which there have been dozens of major ones including wars between India and Pakistan both nuclear powers, nuclear weapons were not used. So in any future war the only missiles that are likely to be used with be ones carrying conventional explosives.

America wants to keep its position as the worlds biggest superpower and to protect its economic interests accross the world and have the ability to attack any country which gets in its way like Iraq without them having the ability to hit America back!
  • Options
    More joy!

Looks like the US is trying to get the missiles actually put in Britain, we are going to be more of a target then the US :eek:
  • Options
    They have to show how they are there to protect the UK before they'd be installed.

I think it's your protection against Pakistan when the country becomes an extremist Muslim run country in the next few years. Or in case a launcher is set up in liberal Europe.
  • Options
    What for? As it has been pointed out several times, all they need to do is deliver the warhead by another method. It couldn't be easier really...
  • Options
    pnj, why do you keep insisting on repeating nonsense claims such as you do about Pakistan or any other recognised state becoming an extremist nation???

Please go and learn about how nation states are managed and how little actual threat to the established governing system are the various fringe groups that operate in such countries.

Musharof is more in danger of the largely "moderate" public demanding his resignation in favour of a democratically elected President than he is from any extremist group.

Of course terrorists can cause mayhem amongst the general public, but they do not have anywhere near enough grassroots support even in Pakistan in order to topple both Musharof and his military.
  • Options
    Clandestine: read news articles. Every one I've read comes from Yahoo. On www.Bolt.com you can post articles and people debate them. On this site they don't allow it. Fine. But then you don't get to say I'm just making things up. Everything I say is based on an article I've read usually from either Reuters or the Associated Press, CNN or Fox News.
  • Options
    I do value your opinion. I'm having an angry teen day.:crazyeyes
  • Options
    Do you have an article that explains why Pakistan is about to go over to the extremists?
  • Options
    that was on yahoo last week. maybe I can call something up. If I can I'll put the link up.
  • Options
    I never said you were "making it up", but rather that you are jumping at the mention of certain buzz words contained in most reports these days intended to simply lead you down one particular way of thinking that serves interests larger than these reports are capable of dealing with.

Just because its in print doesnt make it gospel truth, one has to discrern the political bent of the article, of the news service, what questions or issues any given article fails to actually address, and who's interests are being furthered by convincing the public that they should be constantly looking over their shoulder for foreign enemies.

At the end of the day, try asking why noone is looking into the long running discrepencies of various government allegations and why allegations that are not accepted for lack of proof are often then mediated into some other charge or claim which is just as spurious.

It seems to me our society has forgotten the basic principle that people are innocent until "proven" guilty, not until "alleged" to be guilty.

Have a look at this transcript of a BBC Newsnight program that aired last night. The Man and his wife in question are merely an example of the new McCarthyism I warned was going to happen with all the new legislation in place that allows our government to finger anyone they so choose even if no proof exists.

I hope you will start to understand why I am so distressed that America isnt waking up to the game Waqshington is playing with innocent lives in their supposed search for enemies behind every tree (so to speak).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/events/newsnight/1822772.stm

This man will never get his life back now even though he was falsely accused. How many thousands of others we dont hear about are having this happen to them on a daily basis? Your guess is as good as mine.

God forbid Bush and co should get another 4 years to continue this dirty business...