Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

France averts chemical attack at Christmas.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
THE THREE SUSPECTS, who were taken into custody Monday in suburban Paris, had possession of unidentified chemicals, plus $5,000 in cash, a computer and Islamic propaganda documents, Le Figaro and Le Parisien newspapers reported.
Unnamed intelligence sources said the suspects, two Algerians and one Moroccan, formed an active operational network and were planning an attack on Paris around Christmas, Europe 1 radio reported.
The suspects, who police believe have spent time in Afghanistan and Chechnya, were taken into custody in the northern Paris suburb of La Courneuve on orders from top anti-terrorist judge Jean-Louis Bruguiere, news reports said.
Europe 1 terrorism expert Frederic Helbert told NBC News that nuclear, biological and chemical protection suits were used by the military to handle toxic products found, in addition to containers of gas.

Comments

• Options
    WHAT!? France?!

I can't believe it. Everybody knows that France supports the Palestinians, and they don't do any nasty things to upset Muslims...not like America or Australia... Why would anyone even think of using Weapons of Mass Destruction in terrorist acts on French soil? Unbelievable...

<Sarcasm intended>
  • Options
    Because they hate everyone who doesn't think exactly like them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    WHAT!? France?!

I can't believe it. Everybody knows that France supports the Palestinians, and they don't do any nasty things to upset Muslims...not like America or Australia... Why would anyone even think of using Weapons of Mass Destruction in terrorist acts on French soil? Unbelievable...

<Sarcasm intended>

Le Pen?
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Because they hate everyone who doesn't think exactly like them.

Please tell me you picked up the sarcasm in Greenhat's original post...
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Le Pen?

That would be like attacking the UK because we have the BNP. So that's unlikely isn't it?
  • Options
    Not exactly. Greeny was being sarcastic that the French were nice to Muslims but they showed massive support for LePen who is anti-immigration and anti-Muslim which suggests the French are not a society that is universally friendly to Muslims..........
  • Options
    It's wrong to see all Muslims as evil.

It's equally wrong not to admit this is a war between Muslim extremists and the West.
  • Options
    Not exactly. Greeny was being sarcastic that the French were nice to Muslims but they showed massive support for LePen who is anti-immigration and anti-Muslim which suggests the French are not a society that is universally friendly to Muslims..........

How many universally friendly countries have you ever come across?

As for the massive support for Le Pen, I wouldn't be too sure about that. Look at the uproar within France when it looked like that's exactly what he would get - support. Perhaps the biggest issue there was his lack of effective opposition...

BTW Isn't it this country which is electing BNP councillors?
  • Options
    No universally friendly countries, that is what Greeny was saying....

I agree that it may have been politics not ideology that gave le Pen such a large vote but I'm sure there are still a large number that agree with him on key issues for him to have done so well.

yes the BNP have made some gains which is a sad reflection of the people and the system of this country........
  • Options
    yes the BNP have made some gains which is a sad reflection of the people and the system of this country........

but it isn't that which makes us a target...

Point being that it isn't Le Pen that makes France a target, if anything they are more friendly to Arab nations than any other western nation (which country is still "friends" wil Iraq?), their problem is that they aren't Muslim.
  • Options
    Probably..........

I think being friends to the Arab regimes is part of the problem, these regimes are oppresive dictatorships for the most parts, being a friend of the rulers is not being a friend of the people.........
  • Options
    I agree Toadborg. Plus, this is such a religious war, people in it view all Westerns as evil cause they're choosing not to be Muslim extremists.
  • Options
    For your information Greeny, France has had long running clashes with the Algerians which has given rise to numerous bombings in and around Paris and in other parts of the country.

When I lived their in 94/95 we had bomb reports nearly every two weeks.

This is unlikely to be Al Queda, most likely the same bunch of Algerian fruitcakes as previously.

At any rate, of all the countries in Europe, France has one of the finest Anti-Terrorism infrastructures (from investigation to prosecution). Very few terrorist incidents there ever come off successfully (though there have been a few).
  • Options
    I'm glad they caught them...the most scary thing I read today was about the 4.5 tons of explosives that are missing in Indonesia and had been purchased by a Saudi Prince with Al Qaeda connections.
  • Options
    Dont believe everything you read pnj. Try comprehending that "links to Al Quaeda" is becoming the fashionable phrase to use by our administration and its lackies to villify anyone they arent cozy with.

Just wait and see how many decent law abiding Americans have their lives ruined by Bush's new "super police" (aka the DHD) by being accused of having "links to Al Quaeda" on the basis of evidence which they wont even be allowed to see or prepare a defence against. Yep its the McCarthy Era mach II and the public just continues grazing like sheep. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine

Just wait and see how many decent law abiding Americans have their lives ruined

With any luck, Clandestine's will be one of them... :D
  • Options
    Thats a bit harsh isn't it?

With whats going on at the moment you could actually get banned for that..:rolleyes: :eek2:
  • Options
    They found "radical Islamic" literature in the apartment.
  • Options
    Thats a bit harsh isn't it?

Note the :D
  • Options
    I know that but I wouldn't put it beyond the mods, theoretically if someone complained that you had upset them then you could get banned.........:rolleyes:
  • Options
    I know that but I wouldn't put it beyond the mods, theoretically if someone complained that you had upset them then you could get banned.........:rolleyes:

Then all of us could be banned. After all, discussing politics upsets people.
  • Options
    Frankly Greeny after this particular incident in the US and the one in the UK (which I put the link up for yesterday) I wouldnt be at all surprised.

Seems the thought police have resurfaced and are living the high life within the context of the USA Patriot Act and the DHD. Yep America's constitution is dying a death at the hands of the Bush Admin, if it hasnt for all intents and purposes died already....

http://www.overthrow.com/lsn/news.asp?articleID=3306

A minor incident you may claim, but its one more stone in a wall of oppression that I warned would inevitably follow Bush's demand for an authoritarian police state.

And this is the kind of government behaviour you are proud to die for? lol. :rolleyes:

Brainwashed for sure! :p
  • Options
    by picking up this cell, they discovered an Al Qaeda cell in Scotland and London that was going to attack: "Edinburgh's Hogmanay celebrations".

I can't link it from my school's PC. But you can get the article by going to Yahoo UK/ Ireland, UK/Ireland News, Top Stories, go all the way down to earlier stories.

There were seven of them.
  • Options
    the ministry said in a statement.

"There is no doubt, given the elements found, that one or several terrorist actions were being prepared in the more or less short term,"

They trained in soviet Georgia.
  • Options
    Frankly Greeny after this particular incident in the US and the one in the UK (which I put the link up for yesterday) I wouldnt be at all surprised.

Seems the thought police have resurfaced and are living the high life within the context of the USA Patriot Act and the DHD. Yep America's constitution is dying a death at the hands of the Bush Admin, if it hasnt for all intents and purposes died already....

http://www.overthrow.com/lsn/news.asp?articleID=3306

A minor incident you may claim, but its one more stone in a wall of oppression that I warned would inevitably follow Bush's demand for an authoritarian police state.

And this is the kind of government behaviour you are proud to die for? lol. :rolleyes:

Brainwashed for sure! :p

I'll bet you defend FDR, LBJ and Bill Clinton, though, don't you? Each of which did far more to damage the US Constitution than anything by the current administration.
  • Options
    I have no doubt that FDR or LBJ might have betrayed the Constitution given the fact that the first two were wartime presidents and Ive already pointed out the similarities between what we did to Japanese Americans during WWII (under FDR) and of course the Vietnam War having as much moral justification as the current pending conflict, most folks know how corrupt LBJ's admin was.

Frankly I'd be interested to hear your lovely anti-Clinton excuses of how he betrayed the constitution given that more Americans prospered and enjoyed the liberties guaranteed to us by our founding fathers under his admin. However, even if he did betray it to some minimal extent, it pales by comparison to the resurgent McCarthyism we have been saddled with as a nation today.

If you and your men think it's patriotic to throw your lives away for such blatant opression and fascism then go right ahead.

Frankly, I don't see the value of sending American men and women to die in the streets of Baghdad (or in whatever country may be next) all in the furtherance of this or any admin's corrupt agendas.
  • Options

Frankly I'd be interested to hear your lovely anti-Clinton excuses of how he betrayed the constitution given that more Americans prospered and enjoyed the liberties guaranteed to us by our founding fathers under his admin. However, even if he did betray it to some minimal extent,..

I suggest you read the US Constitution.
  • Options
    You made the assertion, Id say its you who should do some investigation ol boy.
  • Options
    Why? You wouldn't admit it anyway.
  • Options
    Ah and this coming from someone who hasnt once admitted he was wrong on matters of substance. lol.

Keep on trying Greeny, you do provide such endless amounts of humour for the thinking classes! :lol:
  • Options
    Ah and this coming from someone who hasnt once admitted he was wrong on matters of substance. lol.

Actually, that would be you.