Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Homer does ket

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was watchin The Simpsons on Sky one last night and Homer was taking Horse Tranks...

<http://www.rockshox.net/temp/Homer_does_Ket.mpg

(3mb file, you have been warned)

Whats peoples thoughts on showing drug taking like this??

Comments

• Options
    Funny
  • Options
    thats fine...

if your too young to know about drugs (or too naive) then its not gonna mean anything to you other than "oh homer took some medicine and everyone knows that some medicine can make you a bit sleepy". if you know about drugs then sure its got a double meaning but its not likely to offend anyone.

however i think (and this is probably not gonna go down well) that the medicinal marijuana one maybe went a little too far. my brother is 9 and he avidly watches the simpsons, he's seen every episode about 50 bazillion times and could probably quote you every line from it. i just think that he's too young to be exposed to that kind of humour, he's just too young to be able to understand the full implications of what he's seeing.

i watched that episode with him when it was on and it made me very uncomfortable to see him laughing at the pothead jokes...

im not saying that kids shouldnt know about drugs at a young age but i think to humourise it is to trivialise it to an extent and i think that at 9 he shouldnt be exposed to that.

a programme like the simpsons that is watched by so many children has a duty to stick to territory that is acceptable viewing for children. if it must make jokes about drug taking then it should do so by implication like the above example.
  • Options
    I agree...children may see these characters as 'role modles' and believe what they are doing is right and is what they should be doing...so yeh they have definetly gone to far with this episode..
  • Options
    Originally posted by Nash
    children may see these characters as 'role modles' and believe what they are doing is right and is what they should be doing...

Oh come on.

Anyone who uses Homer as a role model will be dead soon anyway.
  • Options
    whats worse, Homer snoking dope, or Homer eating that many doughnuts?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo

Oh come on.

Anyone who uses Homer as a role model will be dead soon anyway.

I agree if anyone saw that and got the joke they obviously know anyway. if he was seen snorting it that would have been a different matter

:)
  • Options
    im naive and i thought that horse tranks were for horses, so homer was taking them with his exceptional human skills and ability to consume almost anything. homer could eat a nuclear methane bomb and would probably get a bad case of wind at the most. i didnt find it offensive, actually i found it funny and im quite young. i wouldnt want to take horse tranks because i saw it though......