Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Paedophile priests and the Catholic Church

Is it just media exposure or does the Catholic Church have more kiddie fiddling priests than other churches? And if so, could it have something to do with the vow of celibacy?

I can't believe what a bunch of bastards the US Catholic Church are. The cardinal who was forced to resign yesterday seems still to be unrepentant about the cover-up. He's come up with the idea of declaring the church bankrupt so victims cannot sue for compensation. And he's been quite successful so far in covering the full extent of the abuses, and more importantly in helping the child abusers escape criminal prosecution.

What a filthy mafia they are!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think that paedophilia exists to a greater extent in catholic churches than in other churches and societies.
    I could be mistaking.
    But I guess that it just gets a broader coverage due to the fact that these are people who claim to believe and represent God.
    And paedophilia certainly isn't the "image" we have of God.
  • Options
    There have certainly been a lot of cases involving catholic priests in Ireland, mainland Britain to a lesser extent, and now the US.

I think what makes things worse is that the attitude of the American Catholic Church. Rather than immediately expulsing those responsible and handing them over to the authorities, the Cardinal and those below him have consistently protected them and fought any attempt at conducting an enquiry. Some of the perpetrators themselves remain unrepentant and actually are happy to say so. One priest accused of raping a number of girls, 12 years old or younger, said the sexual acts were helping bring the girls closer to Christ.

The Catholic Church doesn't like having their authority or word questioned; not too long ago in history they were still burning people at will. Some of their clergy obviously wish we still lived in those times when a priest had absolute power.
  • Options
    Re: Paedophile priests and the Catholic Church
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Is it just media exposure or does the Catholic Church have more kiddie fiddling priests than other churches? And if so, could it have something to do with the vow of celibacy?
    no it isn't just more media exposure and yes it is to do with celibacy. the catholic people are under the ilusion that they are practising christianity. they are not. in the new testament it says that teaching men not to marry is the teaching of demons and not the teaching of god ! the bible says that to bow or kneel let alone pray to an object or statue is idolatry...forbidden to "christians". in the bible it says you should not be called father in any religous sense. it says that only prayers said in jesus name and through him are actualy heard by god. so prayingh to mary or a million saints isn't christian.
    the bible says that god is a jealous god and it is blasphemy to follow, or bow to other false gods, so why do they wear those silly hats which are a dedication to the fish god "dagon" ?
    if mary was a virgin when she gave birth to jesus, she wasn't when she had 5 more kids...so all this virgin mary stuff is also a lie. wether or not you believe in god or the bible being gods word doesn't matter here. what matters is people who want to be christians are being lied to and conned by the catholic church as it has absolutely no resemblance to christianity.
  • Options
    The issue of child abuse and catholicism reminds me of something I heard on Radio 4 yesterday morning. Some person called Joanna Bogle was fulminating over the Nicene Creed , and basically shouting down the other interview, regarding his views as worthless.

So I did a search for the name 'Joanna Bogle' and, surprise, she's a catholic zealot. This article in particular reveals how blinkered she is:

'Society should not tolerate child abuse, or slavery. We may, for example, find that we have to tolerate a "gay rights" march in our town. But why can we not ask that homosexual activists dissociate themselves from those who advocate pedophilia -- in the same way that pro-life activists have vigorously and repeatedly dissociated themselves from violence or arson at abortion clinics?'

This 'tolerant' woman would, presumably, never think to ask heterosexuals, let alone catholic priests, to dissociate themselves from the advocates of paedophilia because, of course, homosexuals are most likely to abuse children, notwithstanding the fact that most child abuse occurs within the family. Gay = kiddie fiddler, right? :rolleyes:

On a tangent, Bogle also (of course) opposes the ordination of women priests in the Catholic Church, although women priests would be statistically less likely to prey on children. No surprises there, than...