Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Turkey joining the EU

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If Turkey wasn't a Muslim country and White European would it be easier for them to join the EU?

Comments

• Options
    I hope not...their religion and skin tone are the last things that should apply....They should be kept out because of the atrocious state of their economy and their repeated human rights abuses.
  • Options
    Whichever way you look at it, Geographically, Politically, religiously, Culturally, and Historically. Turkey is a Middle eastern/Asian nation and has no place in Europe. If we let Turkey in we might as well let Mongolia in.

In some ways I do hope that Turks are lets in, as if this happens I believe that the Union will fall to pieces. Harraaah:)
  • Options
    And the blow to the UK economy would be devastating so don't go cheering too wildly in advance.
  • Options
    I read something the French said and it sounded racist.
  • Options
    Not surprising. Most EU governments have for quite some time made it clear by their delaying tactics that they have no wish to see Turkey joining the EU.
  • Options
    It's wierd to me cause in some ways Europe is so liberal and then the French leader sounded so backwards.
  • Options
    the only reason turkey will get in is because it is europes gateway
    to asia...and all those riches. it would also be handy having an islamic ally. seems to me though that the whole thing will fall to bits unless and until, religion is banned.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Paul_2
    Whichever way you look at it, Geographically, Politically, religiously, Culturally, and Historically. Turkey is a Middle eastern/Asian nation and has no place in Europe. If we let Turkey in we might as well let Mongolia in.

As far as I know, the capital of Turkey, Ankara, is the only capital in the world which "lays" on two continents. One of them being Asia, and the other being Europe.

Many of them do concider themselves as "Half Europeans" as they say with their own words. Especially people near the borders to Bulgaria and Cyprus/Greece.

Having been there myself this summer, I do think that they should join. But on a later occasion. Don't think that times is right now.
    Some of the east-european countries would be a better investment, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Your getting confused with Istanbul, which is split by the boshpherus. 99% of turkey is in asia, as is the capital city.

I think that the rapent Islamaphobia in Europe will keep Turjey out.
  • Options
    I think that the rapent Islamaphobia in Europe will keep Turjey out.

Since when have the views and wishes of the people come into any decision to do with the EU?
  • Options
    Whichever way you look at it, Geographically, Politically, religiously, Culturally, and Historically. Turkey is a Middle eastern/Asian nation and has no place in Europe.

Taking the historical point....

I think that Charles V, Phillip II, Francis I, Henri II and all the other European dynastic leaders of 1460 to 1750 would very much disagree with you.
  • Options
    Taking teh historical point...

The Ottoman (Turkish) Empire stretched as far as the Balkans (europe) and Greece (Europe) until about 1850, so Turkey traditionally is as European as it is Asian. Istanbul is in Europe, and it was the capital until recently, when Ankara (in Asia) became capital.

Turkey shouldnt be in due to its human rights abuses- along with the UK it is the nation most brought before the European Court of Human Rights, but Turkey is frequently found guilty before the ECHR. The way it is treating the Kurds is disgusting, and it would be hypocrisy to attack Iraq, Iran and Syria for treating the Kurds badly then allow Turkey into Europe.
  • Options
    John.

Turkey bomb kurds in the same way Saddam does. that's why they shouldn't be allowed to join the EU. The only reason we can't stop them like we do/did with Saddam is that they are a NATO Country.
  • Options
    Call me cynic but I very much doubt we would try to stop Turkey bombing Kurds even if they were not in NATO. Since when has the West cared for human rights abuses? (Chile, Burma, Indonesia, Israel, Iraq before 1990, etc, etc, etc).

Iraq is about to be bombed back to the stone age, and it has very little to do with protecting the Kurds.