Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pakistan's Honor Murders and Rapes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
'Honor killings' rise in Pakistan
Thursday, December 12, 2002 Posted: 6:55 AM EST (1155 GMT)

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan -- 'Honor killings' have risen in Pakistan, with 461 women murdered by family members in 2002 for immoral behavior ranging from adultery, being raped or even cooking poorly, the country's main human rights body says.

Most killings are carried out by men to protect their family's honor for so called immoral behavior such as sex outside marriage, talking to or dating men, being a victim of rape and even bad cooking skills, the commission said.

The honor crimes are committed under the belief their actions would defend a family's reputation.

Relying mainly on data collected from two provinces, the rights commission said over 300 honor killings took place in Sindh.

In Punjab province, 161 women or girls were killed by relatives. Only 27 killers were arrested in that province.

In June this year, the tribal council-ordered gang rape of a woman in Punjab sparked national and international outrage.

The young woman, Mukhtiar Bibi, was raped as punishment for her brother having sex with a woman from another clan. Six men were convicted of attacking her and sentenced to death.

New laws
But in most honor killings, those guilty are not punished.

"Unfortunately, police in Pakistan either don't arrest such killers or they are not treated as murderers," Hayat told The Associated Press.

Among other findings from the commission:

• In Punjab, 67 of the slain women were killed by their brothers, 49 by their husbands and the rest executed by other family members, including seven cases where sons killed their mothers.

• In November in the southern city of Faisalabad, a woman was hacked to death with an ax by close relatives on suspicion she was having "immoral relations" with a man. The man was also killed.

• During the same month, a widow was killed by her brother on suspicion she was living with a man outside marriage.

In both cases, the perpetrators gave themselves up to police and are awaiting trial.

Comments

• Options
    This expression of the Muslim religion needs to be wiped out in this day and age.
  • Options
    Calm down pnj, youre starting to sound like an extremist yourself.

Better we take our own dovernment to task for blindly aligning our country with a government that is neither democratic nor humanitarian. Should be increasingly easy to see the double standards and hypocrisy of the Bush admin when they are not applying the same standard in places like Pakistan that they have used to program the public into support for an attack on Iraq.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    This expression of the Muslim religion needs to be wiped out in this day and age.

Fair enough, but to avoid double standards perhaps we should adjust that to

"This expression of religion needs to be wiped out in this day and age."

I'm sure that between us on these boards we can come up with plenty of 'atrocities' on the part of each and every religion on this planet to warrant the total destruction of all organized religions on the basis that you seem to have for Islam.
  • Options
    Not all Islam. Islamic extremists, taught by Wahabbi clerics, who are perverting the religion into a death cult the subjugates women.
  • Options
    I think that it is mistaken to isolate such practises to solely religious causes.

In some of the tribal areas (as with everywhere) there will be things done that have been done long befor the people came to the religion they may currently practise.

Not all culture is religion.........
  • Options
    It's all fucked up if you ask me. If they continue to be allowed to get away with it by the Pakistani government then there won't be any chance of stopping it.
  • Options
    I thought you didn't care about other countries Whowhere.....
  • Options
    Pakistan is one of the most backward countries on Earth. I watched a TV show about tribes people near the Afghan boarder, These people are just savages stuck in the middle ages. I don’t think it will be long before we have a war with Pakistan
  • Options
    Yeah but go to some places in England and they can seem pretty backwards (or talk to some people :rolleyes: )

They have nukes, there is no chance of us attacking them.......
  • Options
    I read in a news article off of one of the Yahoo's I read on school days, Yahoo UK, USA, Australia, Canada that one of the reasons the Uk and USA are pushing for action against Iraq is because Pakistan is likely to have an extremist Muslim government in the near future. And #1, we want to provide an alternative to being Muslim with a successful, Muslim democracy in the region.
  • Options
    I don't see how the west govts can claim to be supporters of democracy in the middle-east whent they are best buddies with some of the worst dictators.........
  • Options
    I think that's what they want to change. Because another country that may be in for a radical Muslim government is Saudi Arabia.
  • Options
    But the two aren't seperate. What if a democracy like the one you want led to a radical Islamist govet being voted in?
  • Options
    I know...like what's going on in Pakistan right now. And they would do that.