Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Asylum seeker discrimination payout.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
An asylum seeker gets a sacked and then compensated because the sacking was deemed by a court to primarily motivated by the nature of his race/ethnicity.......

What is wrong with this?

The majority of the Sun letter page seemed to be devoted to ranting about it....:confused:

Comments

• Options
    Well without knowing more about the story, its hard to comment. From the sound of it, its just standard sun reader proceedure.

I didnt realise that asylum seekers were allowed to work :confused:
  • Options
    I think he got a temporary permit while they processed his application, bizarrely sensible I know........
  • Options
    Why is this guy allowed to work? Surely he should be in some camp, until it can be proven that he is genuine.
  • Options
    Maybe he has been proven to be genuine Paul.
  • Options
    This nation of ours is falling to bits, we seem to be handing out money left right and centre to foreigners while our own people suffer, especially the old.
  • Options
    Before we jump to conclusions, let's examine what we've heard so far. Somebody from (presumably) outside the EU was granted asylum, and then offered a job, which this person took. Shortly afterwards this person was sacked. A tribunal (again judging by the info given in this thread) rules that the person was discriminated against because they were a foreigner.

If this is all true why has anyone complained about it? Perhaps all these ultra right wing Sun-reading idiots should remember that there are as many Britons allowed to work in the EU than vice versa- and don't you even get me started on British people working overseas in the States, New Zealand, Australia and other places, because Britain would then become the biggest source of immigrants on earth.

The fact is Paul 2, if someone is cleared to work in Britain, either because he's part of the EU or because he is escaping death and persecution from a country not as fortunate as ours (remember Yugoslavia, Afghanistan, Iraq… all these places we constantly whine about and bomb back to the stone age in the name of freedom?) then they have as much right as anybody else to work here free of xenophobic remarks.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Paul_2
    This nation of ours is falling to bits, we seem to be handing out money left right and centre to foreigners while our own people suffer, especially the old.

He was WORKING, not getting handouts of any kind, he was working for the benefit of his employer and the nation in general.

Would you stop asylum seekers working in old peoples homes to mitigate the suffering of the old?
  • Options
    I don't think this story was as straight forward as that, but I can't find a link at the mo. Let me look it up and I'll see what I can post...

From what I remember the person who sacked him was the same as hired him, which made him question why race was being declared as an issue - afterall he wouldn't have hired him in the first place if it was...or something like that.

Best I find the whole story...
  • Options
    My initial reaction though was to the Suns letter page where I could see no suggestion that the ruling itself was wrong because of other details but simply objections that an asylum seeker was working.

If as you suggest the case may be objectional because of the valididity of the ruling of racial discrimination then that is a seperate issue to the one being raised which is one of asylum........

if you see what I mean :)
  • Options
    send the whole lot of the SCUM back to their caves!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by falkna

Oh come on...Sun readers maybe bad but theyve moved on from caves by now surely..
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog

Oh come on...Sun readers maybe bad but theyve moved on from caves by now surely..

:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog

falkna is an Aussie, apparently.

Murdoch in disguise?
  • Options
    Originally posted by falkna

Those Aussie barworkers in London live in caves?:confused:
  • Options
    Next time you step over a homeless person after about 7pm he will more than likely be there as all the temporary shelter will be filled by that time, ask him his opinion on the 1200 or so Asylum seekers that are being put up & fed in B & B's that came over from France recently.

I agree we have a duty to help the less fortunate, so why don’t we help people already in this country (regardless of race) The more we become a magnet for free handouts, jobs, accommodation in this country the worse things will become.
  • Options
    Originally posted by little_uk_bro
    Next time you step over a homeless person after about 7pm he will more than likely be there as all the temporary shelter will be filled by that time, ask him his opinion on the 1200 or so Asylum seekers that are being put up & fed in B & B's that came over from France recently.

I agree we have a duty to help the less fortunate, so why don’t we help people already in this country (regardless of race) The more we become a magnet for free handouts, jobs, accommodation in this country the worse things will become.

That homeless person shouldn't have anything bad to say about the asylum seekers. Why would he? If anything, he should be talking about the government.

With regard to the 'handouts', free houses, complimentary Ferrari, corporate jet use, £200,000 stock shares portfolio and other luxuries given to asylum seekers on arrival; regardless of what the Daily Hatemail and other rags may want us believe it is not all rosy for those people. Anyone with two brain cells should see through headlines such as "Asylum seekers given luxury private health facilities" the Express is so happy to print in 72pt size on the front page.

The right wing press doesn't lose any time in labelling all, or the immense majority of asylum seekers as 'bogus' who are only coming here to milk the system. Fact: anyone who looks at the data of asylum seeker claimants/illegal immigrants entering Britain during the last decade will see that the nationality of these people change in accordance with wars and conflicts. For instance there were high numbers of asylum seekers from Iraq in 1991, and a steady number through since as Saddam Hussein continues his ruthless mandate; then there were many from the former Yugoslavia area during the 1992 as a result of the war in Bosnia. In the late 90s to 2001 the majority of entrants were from Kosovo, and many more from Afghanistan.

So clearly these are people fleeing death and destruction, not 'bogus' claimants who are "coming to milk the system". You might also want to add that Britain has happily bombed some of the countries involved (Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan) because we were trying to stop human right abuses and genocide. So is it okay to bomb a country for these reasons and then turn down people who are fleeing death from the said countries and call them 'bogus'?
  • Options
    Originally posted by little_uk_bro

I hate the attitude that if we help one group we cannot help another. The sun and the mail etc always comjpare asylum seekers to pensioners and other groups as if we cannot help both. What a pathetic argument that is..........

A magnet for jobs? How can that be bad?

Try and find an asylum seeker that has come here to live on benefits, you will struggle.............
  • Options
    Being a magnet for jobs is bad as there are only so many jobs for so many people, If people external to this country take those jobs there are less for the people already living here.... Those people sit on the dole & take more money from the social.... Simple when you think about it?

As for the argument of Asylum seekers versus pensioners, you can see why someone who has worked for the last 45 years paying into the country would be a bit put out when he has to wait 18 months for an op as the NHS is put under even more pressure by extra customers.Or tries to live on the pittance handed out by the goverment

There is only so much resource, the more people trying to take from that resource the quicker it will run out or the less of it we will all get.

This country is on a fast decline, money that is being spent on Asylum seekers (100 million for Yarls wood detention centrer in Bedford that was recently burnt down during a riot) could be used in one example to better fund schools which would give our children better chances of jobs, lessening the burden on the social services & swelling the coffers with more cash which could then be used to tackle another problem and so on and so on....
  • Options
    NB At a time when we are accepting more immigrants than every before, we have also achived a record number of people in work.

Paying more employment tax as a result.

I'm not sure which country you live in little_bro, but over here, the taxes I pay today will benefit me today, not when I retire.

BTW Assylum seekers aren't to blame for the condition of the NHS. You can lay that firmly at the door of the right-wing party who were recently in Govt. That they were more concerned about cutting taxes than providing services is precisely why we are now about 20 years behind - remond me, how long were the Tories in power?
  • Options
    Paul_2, well said. The whole country is turning upside down, ruled by political correctness and a government that has cocked up the health service, education system, economy.....the list continues
  • Options
    Richard Littlejohn or Peter Hitchens could have not put it better :D :rolleyes:

The only people to have permanently damaged our public services are the tories and their chronic under-investment and tax-cutting policies.

Not that this has much to do with the subject at hand. Despite the Daily Mail's/BNP's assurances to the contrary, the money actually spent on asylum seekers could not save a single public service in crisis. For it is very little indeed compared with other areas of expenditure. And a much more just cause, you could also say.

If you want our public services improved perhaps we should look elsewhere for extra cash. The billions spent, for example, in our nuclear deterrent system, new aircraft carriers and other military hardware and in waging wars abroad where we have no right or business could be used to give our pensioners a much better wage and to make our schools, transport and hospitals better.

Talk about killing two birds with a stone...