Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

North Korea

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What should be done about this country? They just caught one of their ships loaded with scud missels headed for Yemen.

The UN created the mess that is North Korea. And idiot President's like Carter coddled them. I hope they're on the list of governments that need to go. Especially with their interactions with Pakistan.

Comments

• Options
    Good luck...

Thats 4 million casualties just waiting to happen. If you wanna take out North Korea, you will have to sacrifice South Korea to do it and thats just not going to happen.

Edit...The ship wasnt headed to yemen, it was stopped a few hundred miles off the coast of yemen. Anyway, whats wrong with that anyway?
  • Options
    Re: North Korea
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    I hope they're on the list of governments that need to go.

You didn't hear Bush's "Axis of Evil" speech then?
  • Options
    I guess we feel it was headed some place to be used against us. The US govt. announced no big surprise and it changes nothing.
  • Options
    Is there a UN sanctioned arms embargo to Yemen I am not aware of?

And if it isn't, what exactly seems to be the problem? And what right does the US have- or anyone else- to detain a shipment of weapons once it has been established they're destined for a sovereign nation, not a terrorist group?

Before we start going on about Yemen harbouring terrorists, let's remember that no country (probably) harbours more terrorists than Saudi Arabia- which has been armed to the teeth with the best technology money can buy by the good old US of A. Including scores of F18 fighters, which can deliver any kind of warhead as efficiently as any scud missile.

Sure, it is regreattable that any country is selling missiles to another. But we are all guilty of it. I cannot blame the North Koreans for selling military hardware when every other country is doing it- often to nations with appalling human rights records or a history of agression. The only complain the West might have is that they didn't sell it first.
  • Options
    updated news...Yemen wants the missles. (And Yemen has really been helpful with the war on terror.)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Is there a UN sanctioned arms embargo to Yemen I am not aware of?

And if it isn't, what exactly seems to be the problem? And what right does the US have- or anyone else- to detain a shipment of weapons once it has been established they're destined for a sovereign nation, not a terrorist group?

Before we start going on about Yemen harbouring terrorists, let's remember that no country (probably) harbours more terrorists than Saudi Arabia- which has been armed to the teeth with the best technology money can buy by the good old US of A. Including scores of F18 fighters, which can deliver any kind of warhead as efficiently as any scud missile.

Sure, it is regreattable that any country is selling missiles to another. But we are all guilty of it. I cannot blame the North Koreans for selling military hardware when every other country is doing it- often to nations with appalling human rights records or a history of agression. The only complain the West might have is that they didn't sell it first.

HAve to ask your homeland, Aladdin. It was the Spanish who stopped and boarded the ship. Of course, a few details included having false registration, failing to identify themselves, failure to give way, both name and ID number were painted over...
  • Options
    Details weren't painted over...not included cause I was running to class. :naughty:
  • Options
    The Spanish did indeed stop the ship, and I cannot blame them for doing it or the Americans for searching the vessel. It had no flag flying and it first ignored orders to stop. My point was that once it has been established, as it apparently has, that the missiles were destined for Yemen then there is no reason to detain the cargo or reproach North Korea for selling the missiles.
  • Options
    Details weren't painted over...not included cause I was running to class. :naughty:

ship's name and ID number were painted over...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    The Spanish did indeed stop the ship, and I cannot blame them for doing it or the Americans for searching the vessel. It had no flag flying and it first ignored orders to stop. My point was that once it has been established, as it apparently has, that the missiles were destined for Yemen then there is no reason to detain the cargo or reproach North Korea for selling the missiles.

No flag flying, refused to identify themselves, false registration, ship's marking concealed...

Seems to me more than enough violations of international maritime law to allow for seizure and hold for trial in a maritime court...
  • Options
    Perhaps the North Koreans feared the wrath of the US if they were found out selling weapons and depriving Lockheed Martin of a sale? ;)
  • Options
    The US has agreed to hand back the scuds to Yemen.
  • Options
    today they announced they are starting up their nuclear power plants and programs again.

It's time to take them out.
  • Options
    Keep that attitude and youll only feed the problems rather than solve them. Do you wish to see America at war with the whole bloody world? I certainly hope not.
  • Options
    today they announced they are starting up their nuclear power plants and programs again.

It's time to take them out.

Would you care to explain why?

You see, when you look at recent records for all the countries in the world from an objective point of view you will notice that:

- since the end of WWII the US has bombed some 21 countries- and not too many in self-defence

- the US has biggest arsenal of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons on earth; capable of wiping out the entire world population several thousand times over

- the US is the only country in the world to have used nuclear weapons- and on civilians.

- the US has also extensively used chemical weapons (Vietnam) and continues to this day use WMDs like the fuel-air bombs dropped in Afghanistan that are as powerful as low-yield nukes.

- in short, the US has bombed, invaded, attacked and helped bring down governments in more countries than any other nation in recent history.

You see, from your own reasoning the USA is clearly the most dangerous nation on earth to other countries. If anything, it's the other countries who might be thinking it'd be best to 'take the US out' as a precautionary measure. And who could blame them? Anyone could be next.

Regrettable as it might be, we have no right to attack or try to stop other nations from acquiring nuclear capability, unless they present a clear and present danger to world peace. North Korea is NOT one of them.
  • Options
    And the rest of the world Alladin, lives off the strength of the US with the exception of Britian. And even after having put no money into defense, countries like Germany still can't get their economies to work. So in addition to military protection, they'll be coming to the US again for a hand out.

Also, when the US stays out of wars, like WW2, the world bitches too.

We stopped communisim. We sacrificed to have a respectable military. Why should we be listening to immoral countries like Switzerland and Sweden who didn't even stand up to the Nazis?
  • Options
    Becuase the US doesn't seem to have got its priorities right. It would have stayed out of World War 2 indefenitely if it hadn't been bombed by the Japs.
    Who cares if you stopped communism?
    Germany has one of the most powerful economies in the world, and most of its trade is with Europe. Why would they need the US for military or economic help when they can get it from other countries in the EU?
  • Options
    You don't know your up-to-date facts on Germany. They are losing companies and jobs to other parts of Europe. They closed their high tech stock market cause the money pulled out of it. Unemployment is way up. People are being trained for free for jobs that don't, and won't, exist for a while. People are sending the idiot Schroder shirts, he's received 6,000 so far and saying, here, take the shirt of my back. It's a mess and it's getting much worst.
  • Options
    pnj, you really insist on sounding like a poster child for the US propaganda machine.

We stopped communism?? lol. I think not.

Economic realities and the slow pace of change of certain formerly Communist nations in a rapidly changing world is more the root of the collapse of communism.

Don't let yourself be duped into believing such simplistic clap-trap that is intended to increase the jingoistic spirit of the American public. The world and geo-political changes are effected by a far greater number of variables than you seem to appreciate.

Every nation has its time in the spotlight and even our good ol US of A will eventually decline or be forced to behave as an equal at the table of nations.

Learning to adopt a bit less bravado and more humility and understanding of the world around us now will do the American public (and more so the US Government) more good than ill in the future.
  • Options
    Germany's problems stem more from an economy that is too strictly regulated and too awash with powerful unions. Not to mention many unresolved carry over problems from the unification process that Germany underwent over a decade ago.

http://muse.jhu.edu/demo/sais_review/15.3walter.html

Tell me pnj, you go from wanting to learn about the world to suddenly acting like you know everything about everything... have you ever even been Germany? Examined the full range of mechanisms that are in place in German society that make economic recovery all the more difficult for them?

Somehow I think not.
  • Options
    The US is trying to sound Asian on this today. "It was unfortunate of North Korea to take this action"... Blah, blah, blah, nuke 'em. It's like we have a relationships with them where they just want all of this attention.
  • Options
    Clandestine, I went by the article I read on Germany yesterday. About the companies leaving etc. I don't like the leader they have right now. That explains my glee. Did remember reading about the unions you mentioned. They didn't mention the reunification costs.
  • Options
    Well dont form a global opinion on a country or anything for that matter based on one article. Ever considered that the article you read might have been written from a particular bias that chose to ignore many of the elements that have lead to the economic crisis in Germany?

Frankly, Im glad Schroder is there. At least one European leader is standing up to the bully tactics of Bush and co. If only more leaders would show some spine we could put an end to this heavily propagandised fear mongering and abuse of power.