Home› Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Skinny Pill for Kids"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
"Now kids have their very own skinny pill!"

Is that a good thing?

With childhood obesity and the problems relating to it being on the rise, it is no surprise that people want to offer solutions, but are diet pills the right solution?

The Skinny Pill for Kids targets children between the ages of 6 and 12. It aids in weight loss by changing the child's metabolism.

It is offered as the "real solution" amongst those other, I guess, pseudo-solutions like exercise and a change in diet. While a change in eating habits and physical activities is mentioned along with taking the pills, the pill is the factor offered as the only real help in fighting obesity.

Is this the solution to these children's problems that society has been waiting for?

Comments

• Options
    Certainly not. That is a very dangerous road we'd be going into. Children and drugs don't mix, not unless they suffer from a proper medical condition. Obesity, Attention Deficit Disorder (or whatever the hell is called) and other recent problems are created by our society not by diseases.

I suppose for some is the easy way out to give their fat kids drugs. But as far as I'm concerned pilling up your child because you haven't monitored his exercising/eating habits properly is extremely wrong.

I don't think I would ever have kids but if I did god knows they would never, ever set foot in a McDonalds or other junk food outlets as long as they were my children. And if I couldn't or wouldn't take them out to practise sport myself they would sure as hell be enrolled in their local football/basketball/tennis/swimming etc class.

I'm sorry but with the exception of medical obesity and other conditions parents are 100% to blame for their children's chubbiness. They are ruining their kids' health, often with lifelong repercussions, and drugs seem like the easy way out for bad parenting.
  • Options
    The ever increasing bid to escape responsibility :(
  • Options
    The trouble is in today's world everybody wants the "quick fix" solution to everything. Well, sorry people, but the only reliable way to lose weight is to eat sensibly and get plenty of exercise. And this takes time and hard work.
  • Options
    This is giving kids the impression that its fine to overeat and not excersise, and then if they do they can just take a pill and everything will be ok. Not good.
  • Options
    hmm the ingredients look ok and it just looks like a vitamin supplement. its got chromium in it which i took a while back when i was on a diet as it boosts metabolism, and apparently most people are chromium deficient in this country anyway, its got a few vitamins in it too. I dont know what Glucommanan is, but it appears to be in lots of weight loss things as it binds to fat so you dont absorb it. the others are just herbal stuff.
    The thing is, we dont see it much in England, but in America, a lot of them are really fucking fat, and although on one hand it doesnt seem like agood idea to promote pills like this for kids, I think for some it may be the only solution, got to be better than stomach stapling.
  • Options
    My problem with the pill is that, yes, there is an increasing problem of childhood obesity, however, "healthy" comes in a variety of shapes and sizes.

The first mistake is implying that this is a major health boaster because it will make the child thin. A fat child who eats properly and is on the soccer team is most likely healthier than the fast food eating toothpick for which the closest they normally get to sports is PS2.

The vitamins in those pills can probably be found in normal children's multivitamins and in healthy foods. They don't need that portion of the pill.

The site says that exercise and changing diet are unrealistic solutions, but I say that has to do with what this nutritionist deems as a proper solution. For me, the solution ought to be healthier children, not necessarily thinner.

If a child is obese because of improper nutrition and a lack of exercise, they have a health risk and a pill that disguises it by making these children slimmer will probably cause more damage than good. Yes, the site mentions physical activity, but it stresses the pill as the most important thing. The things most stressed should be to lower fat, salt, and sugar intake. To learn how to moderate what they eat and to get physical, otherwise, once off the pill (or are they supposed to stick to pills for life?), they will again physically bloat up, and besides that, they still may have the underlying problems they had in the first place like too much cholesterol, sugar, and/or salt.

Without proper changes, just because a child is thinner doesn't mean that as they grow up their risk of cardiac and diabetic related problems have vanished.

While the pill may help the child psychologically, even that doesn't seem like a good enough reason for this pill in my eyes. Again, thinner isn't always better. Instead of giving a child pride by making them thin, give them pride by making them more fit.

I can't find this quote on any sites, but I've heard this pill advertised as, "The reality is, Mommy is taking pills to lose weight and Daddy's taking stuff to help him, so why not make something safe for kids?"

The reality is that many times pills fail mommy and daddy and if the true cause of mommy and daddy's obesity isn't addressed, it will not go away. These pills will get you on the same track of crash dieting as mommy and daddy; only difference is that you are started at an earlier age.

I'd be happier seeing a fat child than a thin child with the same problems popping pills. The obesity problem needs to be addressed in another way.
  • Options
    I made a post about weight loss pills in the thread, Weight Watchers > Health.

These pills increase your metabolism rate?

So does exercise.
  • Options
    they do boost your metabolic rate, but they also have a product in them which binds itself to the fat in food, so you don t absorb any of the fat you eat. I think if i was seriously obese and was finding it hard to lose the weight the normal way, i would give them a go, but i dont think theyd work on their own, itd have to be part of a healthy diet and excercise.
  • Options
    I like the sound of that. I think as a last resort or for anyone with medical obesity issues, it would be effective.

Children from the age group in question (6-12), and actually for anyone starting school up to the GCSE year, PE (Physical Eduction) is part of the Curriculum. I think it is taken for granted, but if not, children should be encouraged to play outdoors after school. Anything that involves running i.e. "tag".

Having learning difficulties and sight problems, I had to sacrifice PE and RE for Learning Support. I was still able to eat sensibly and remain in my weight range.

It was only at the start of university, I put on a whole stone even though my diet was still the same. Is there some point in your age where the human body suddenly reacts badly to the same diet? I am mystified about this weight gain.
  • Options
    yes, I think once you stop growing, you dont need as many calories. A teenager generally needs more calories than an adult, and it also depends on whether you have an active job or an office job. simple things like whether you spend more time sitting down or standing up, whether you walk or drive.
  • Options
    The only diet pill that really works is speed and I really dont think you want to give that to kids.

I can see why the US is getting scared over the rise in over weight people, it costs them 100's of billions of dollers each year.
  • Options
    have you tried them all bongbudda?
  • Options
    plus they do give a form of speed to kids in the form of Ritalin, which is to modify behaviour in children with ADD and ADHD. speed apparently calms children down and helps them to concentrate. not quite the same effect as it has in most adults.
  • Options
    well I havent done them all, but I've tried ritalin and it was rubbish, just like caffine but not as good.
  • Options
    How rediculous...i thank my lucky stars that my parents knew something about nutrition and good food and that I was brought up without being a slave to McDonalds or Burger King...I guess I was luck, living in a remote place.

However..if I have kids I'm totally aware of the benefit of good, healthy food.

My parents were not well off but we still managed to eat a healthy diet and I think parents who decide to have kids would benefit from parenting and Nutrition classes if they feel any responsibility to their children and giving them a good start.

The best solution is good food and excercise and a slimming pill is just another example of peolple trying to do things the easy way.

They don't have diet pills in Ethiopia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny

The best solution is good food and excercise and a slimming pill is just another example of peolple trying to do things the easy way.

They don't have diet pills in Ethiopia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I really hope you're joking.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo

I really hope you're joking.

No Im quite sure they dont.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite

No Im quite sure they dont.

:yeees: :p
  • Options
    im sure there are some companies out there who would try and flog diet pills to ethiopians, but thats another debate.