Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Spread of information. Advancement of technology.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I read this article that said 9/11 really ushered in what the world will be like in our lifetime. It said that the spread of information and advancement of technology has its dark side. Information regarding building or acquiring bombs is more available and bombs like other devices are advancing: lighter, easier to conceal, able to cause more deaths...from a single person. It gave the example of Hamas who used to have to use a pickup truck to deliver a fertilizer bomb...now there's plastiqe delivered under the t-shirt of a teen with spikey hair. That's all I remember.

What do you guys think? Does this sound true? Or is it more yapping.:lol:

Comments

• Options
    I know what you mean. I can think of examples even closer to home, like Columbine for one. Those kids did a lot of research before they acted. The uni-bomber, Timothy McVeigh, they all got their info in ways that wouldn't have been imagined even 50 years ago. The Washington sniper fed off the messages he got from the media coverage, but Moose gave a good example of how this kind of thing can be turned to an advantage. He worked WITH the media instead of against it in order to manipulate the sniper and eventual capture him. Hopefully, wisdom and intelligence will win out in the "information age" the way it has in many other cross-roads of the evolving experience of the human family. All we can do is wait and see, and hope...
  • Options
    Yeah or handle it in a scary way: the government listening in on emails.
  • Options
    One correction PP, actually the police couldnt find their arse from their elbow in the sniper case. The sniper effectively gave himself up by purposely giving them clue after clue. In point of fact he wanted to be caught or he'd still be at large today more than likely.