Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Predictions for 2003

As 2002 draws to a close we all have our concerns for the new year, not only for ourselves but for the world at large. I have taken my crystal ball out of its box and this is what I reckon will happen during 2003:

International Terrorism- Al Queida will remain operational during 2003 and commit 3 to 4 terrorist acts. At least one of them will be in British soil or against British interests abroad.
Osama bin Laden is dying/dead and it will be declared so.

Iraq- The UN inspectors do not find any significant amounts of WMDs. The US says Iraq is hiding its weapons and launches a full-scale invasion with the help of British forces. The Iraqi army offers little resistance but there are many civilian casualties during the assault on Baghdad and some allied troops casualties as a result of guerilla war. Saddam Hussein escapes and disappears.

Israeli/Palestinian conflict- Sharon is re-elected as Prime Minister and continues its current policy with more ardour. The army continues its harassment of Palestinians and occupation of Palestinian cities. More security walls are erected around illegal settlements resulting in more fury and even bloodier terrorist attacks on Israeli civilians. The army sieges Arafat again and threatens to extradite him. Only the intervention of the US and EU prevents this. No peace talks in sight for a long time.

Afghanistan- Afghani Prime Minister ousted/assassinated. The country descends into civil war. UN put into administration. Taliban forces re-emerge.

Economy- The stock markets will continue to fall due to international uncertainty. The eurozone will however perform better than the US. A referendum date to join the euro will be set by the British government.

Any other Mystic Megs out there who want to prove me wrong?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Scottish parliment elections The liberal democrats will increase their share of the seats and may replace labour as the main party.
  • Options
    Have to wait another year to 'prove' you wrong I'm afraid........

I don't actually think there will be an attack on Iraq the US has got to booged down in procedure and diplomacy to get anyware.......
  • Options
    Don't see much coming from the Bush administration that could be legitimately called "diplomacy". lol
  • Options
    the catholic church finaly exposed as the main seat of evil on planet earth. the total banning of ALL religion actualy on the political agenda and with a very large public support.
    the collapse of the super power formaly known as the united states of america. the political rise of the worlds true super power
    EUROPE. offset by the rapidly changing china.
    CHINA threatens to march on EUROPE around sept/oct 2003.
    much of southern europe gripped by plagues and epidemics.
    the worlds population becoming almost impossible to govern. the united nations actualy gets TEETH. and it bites.
    the turmoil of 2003/4 eventualy leads to china putting together a billion strong army and swarming across asia and eastern europe.
    by this time there will have been a few nuclear nightmares come to fruition. pakistan/india/america/. i'll still be growing weed and will have a reasonable survival routine/route sorted. reasonable supplies of tinned food stashed here and there and will still be able to move relatively freely compared with you lot. i will still have very strong family ties. a tool which will be essential over the next three years.
    darkest times ahead. in fact coming round a corner near you soon.
    i'm actualy preparing for the darkness. how about you ?
  • Options
    Nah, not quite ready for bed yet... lol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Nah, not quite ready for bed yet... lol.
    PMSL clan.
  • Options
    I don't think much will change really, life will plod along as it always has done.

Sure, there'll probably be a war with Iraq, and maybe 10 of our troops will die, it'll be the biggest non-event of the century though.
  • Options
    Maybe a few thousand Iraqia as well, but hey..........:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Aladdin. I agree with almost everything you said. Afghanistan can't be allowed to fall back because the push for the Presidency will start towards the end of next year. Once a moderate, Muslim democracy is placed in Iraq, the arms etc. flowing into Lebenon will slow. Iran might even back off because of their radical Muslim clerics' fears regarding their positions and the students who want a more modern society.

The next attack is shaping up in Thiland. And judging by some of the Australians on the Internet, they haven't accepted that they are the target too.

There will be an attempt on a nuclear power plant in India from Bangladesh. (Sorry 'bout my spelling)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Captain Slog
    Scottish parliment elections The liberal democrats will increase their share of the seats and may replace labour as the main party.

Yes, they shall increase their share of the seats, but there's no way they'll replace labour as the main party.
  • Options
    The Air Industry, will gain recovery as airport security continues to be tightened. Airport tax will increase, to help the funding of extra customs staffs. There will be no more air-related terrorist attacks, although a few attempts may be intecepted in their early stages.

Music piracy: The computer software, Kazaa will be the next file-sharing program to be ruled out in court. However, the problem in music piracy will remain uneffected because serveral software alternatives exist and more releases will emerge.

Pop idols/Stars clones will keep hitting the TV screen, followed by a gold rush to fill every chart position from 1 to 10 for 92% of the time during 2003.

Big Brother gets more popular, and becomes a regional programme. Each county will have its own Big Brother house.

Bi-elections throughout the UK will even out the parliamentary seats between the three major political parties. Liberal will gain the most seats, followed by the Tories, both to the disfavour of Labour.
  • Options
    An Internet site claiming to represent al Qaeda says the terrorist network has decided to launch suicide attacks against a new target, Israel, and says its goal is the destruction of the Jewish state.

Nice prediction eh? It was on Yahoo today. The al qaeda is www.mojahadoon.net
  • Options
    According to some Bible code or something 2004 there is supposed to be missile attacks on NY. I've got a £20 bet with someone there will be. 2005 theres supposed to be something bad as well and 2006 armageddon. Anyone want to be on 2006 being the end of the world?
  • Options
    Re: Predictions for 2003

I’d go along with most of what you’ve predicted Aladdin. Exception been that Arafat will either be Expelled or killed in 2003.

I also predict a continuous decline in US Saudi relations with civil war starting in SA.

At home, Labour will start to loose point sin the polls and the BNP will make large gains in the local elections.

Originally posted by Aladdin
    As 2002 draws to a close we all have our concerns for the new year, not only for ourselves but for the world at large. I have taken my crystal ball out of its box and this is what I reckon will happen during 2003:

International Terrorism- Al Queida will remain operational during 2003 and commit 3 to 4 terrorist acts. At least one of them will be in British soil or against British interests abroad.
    Osama bin Laden is dying/dead and it will be declared so.

Iraq- The UN inspectors do not find any significant amounts of WMDs. The US says Iraq is hiding its weapons and launches a full-scale invasion with the help of British forces. The Iraqi army offers little resistance but there are many civilian casualties during the assault on Baghdad and some allied troops casualties as a result of guerilla war. Saddam Hussein escapes and disappears.

Israeli/Palestinian conflict- Sharon is re-elected as Prime Minister and continues its current policy with more ardour. The army continues its harassment of Palestinians and occupation of Palestinian cities. More security walls are erected around illegal settlements resulting in more fury and even bloodier terrorist attacks on Israeli civilians. The army sieges Arafat again and threatens to extradite him. Only the intervention of the US and EU prevents this. No peace talks in sight for a long time.

Afghanistan- Afghani Prime Minister ousted/assassinated. The country descends into civil war. UN put into administration. Taliban forces re-emerge.

Economy- The stock markets will continue to fall due to international uncertainty. The eurozone will however perform better than the US. A referendum date to join the euro will be set by the British government.

Any other Mystic Megs out there who want to prove me wrong?
  • Options
    Iraq:
    The US will fight Iraq, probably early this upcoming year (probably launch an operation during the first two months of 2003), and if not, it will be around the endof the year. Materials and traces of WMDs will be found at some point.

Al-Qaeda:
    Will continue their acts of terrorism, and use the invasion of Iraq as a big-time legitimation, to continue doing so.
    Think it will take more than a year, to dig the roots of the organisation.

Israel:
    As soon as the war against Iraq starts, Israel will interfere as well, for own safety reasons. Of course this won't be a popular decision among the international community, but it's a must when thinking the situation through.
    Terrorism against Israeli civilians will follow, and not only by palestinian-connected organisations.
    Sharon will win the elections, and probably take up a stricter stance, but still manage to suggest some sort of starter-agreemeant with the palestinians.

Economy:
    Bad year for economy, and a lot of firms will announce bankrupcy, plus a minor inflation will occur.