Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sunbeds

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering what people thought of the use of sunbeds, and how many people use them.

I have used them a few times, but the only thing that scares me is this cancer stuff. I find them really relaxing, and you look browner of course!

I am going to start going on them again after a workout, every other day because this winter season is making me rather pale!:eek2:

Comments

• Options
    In the summer i used to use the sun beds quite alot before i went on holiday to give me that base tan affect,because i didnt want to go on holiday looking pastie :), BUT the thought of catchin cancer did kind of scare me in a way,but now a days, u can die from anythin so a little sun bed now and then i dont think will harm, appart from the obvious( wringles your skins, dries your skin up, and other affects) there are other ways to make your skin look browner also and thats applying cream, or spray to your legs(fake sun tan stuff) BUT i dont have no problem using them, i actually enjoy it! :D
  • Options
    My best mate usues them quite a bit because she has acne and apparently the UV really helps clear it up!
    Personally I dont use them, although I have done before. I have a couple of moles on my back and although I have had them tested for cancerous cells and things like that it still really worries me. But most of the time I just cant be bothered, I've got pale skin so it doesnt tend to work well any way.

Just out of interest... sorry If I'm going off topic here or whatever but how many of the lads on here use sunbeds? My new boyfriend always goes on after a work out (he burt himself last week! hee hee!) apparently more lads use sunbeds than I fist assumed!
    Sorry!
  • Options
    Sunbeds are quite a big skin cancer risk. You're only supposed to have one course per year (eg 12 sessions) and then take a break.

If you have red hair, very pale skin, or more than 40 moles on your skin then you're recommended to avoid sunbeds altogether.
  • Options
    dont have red hair, dont have moles, but the longer i leave it the paler i am getting!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    I occasionally use one as they had a special offer on at my gym. I use it but keep on shorts and a small top. I look nicer, it's good for the skin (ok I know it isn't really but it looks nicer) and my freckles come out, which make me look healthier than being all pasty.

I did get badly burnt on one in the summer though, the tubes had been changed and I spent the whole 12 minutes on it, I was in agony after, I was bright red.
  • Options
    I get one free sunbed use a week where I work. :D Hardly ever use it though to be honest.
  • Options
    ive used them a few times but i try to avoid them-last time i got burnt all from my waist down (yes even there!)
  • Options
    I use them quite often...Been slacking recently quite a bit but im back on them now..I only do two sessions a week, mon and friday..

They are a cancer risk, but then so is everything else in this day and age..Im far more worried about going into a pub on a friday night because of all the smoke.
  • Options
    Sunbeds will age your skin like a rasin in no time. I read in the paper that only 5 minutes per YEAR was an acceptable limit!

Wanna stay young-looking and beautiful? Keep off 'em!
  • Options
    We all beleive what's in the paper these days!

Why 5 minutes? The first 5 minutes...is just like the next 5 minutes?

Wasn't the Sun/Star was it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by scoot69er
    We all beleive what's in the paper these days!

Why 5 minutes? The first 5 minutes...is just like the next 5 minutes?

Wasn't the Sun/Star was it?

Well, how would you know if it was the Sun/Star? They're way too intellectual for you to read - except for the cartoons maybe. :D

It's the concentration of the rays on unprotected skin that is bad for you. Try the BBC site http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/health/288453.stm or do a search on "sunbeds" and "danger" on Google. Plenty there for you to read.
  • Options
    "The HEA is concerned that the public is unaware that the ultraviolet radiation (UVR) emitted by a sunbed can be as damaging as the sun's rays and has been linked to skin cancer. "

Huh? Sun is worse than sunbed?
  • Options
    i am using sunbeds for two reasons
    1. It clears up my shitty skin condition
    2. I'm just wanting abit of colour for my holiday in Feb.
    I do know the risks associated with sun beds but hey i may get killed crossing the road tommorow......Optimistic as usual! lol
  • Options
    "The HEA is concerned that the public is unaware that the ultraviolet radiation (UVR) emitted by a sunbed can be as damaging as the sun's rays and has been linked to skin cancer. "

Huh? Sun is worse than sunbed?

And your point is?
  • Options
    My point is it can't be as bad as smoking dah! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    :crazyeyes :crazyeyes :crazyeyes :crazyeyes :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Tanning is just plain stupid. You are basically cooking yourself slowly in a coffin-shaped oven. Gee, that sounds healthy.
  • Options
    Ive just come back from my 8 minutes in a coffin shaped oven :)
  • Options
    Go for it girl ;)
  • Options
    Go for it girl ;)

ahem....100% male :p
  • Options
    erh, oh, right.

go for it matey :o
  • Options
    hehe..im off to australia in feb so ive gotta get my skin ready..Dont wanna burn to death on the first day over there and be stuck inside.
  • Options
    "Heading to a tanning bed is just as dangerous as tanning outdoors. Keep your skin healthy and natural by avoiding unprotected sun exposure and indoor tanning.

- Tanning beds release dangerously high levels of ultraviolet (UV) radiation, which can cause premature aging of the skin and increase risk for skin cancer.
    - Short-term indoor tanning can cause red, itchy, dry skin.
    - Long-term indoor tanning can cause sagging, wrinkled skin.
    - Tanning beds can also burn your skin and eyes and damage your immune system."

(from www.cancer.org)

I think that says enough. If you know all this and still go tanning, you deserve what ever happens to you in the future. It's a large price to pay for vanity.
  • Options
    but looking pale is so bad! i get loads of spots too. tanning helps get rid of spots, brings out my freckles and makes me look more healthy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sarebear246

I think that says enough. If you know all this and still go tanning, you deserve what ever happens to you in the future. It's a large price to pay for vanity.

Its nothing to do with vanity...Did you not read my last post? Its to avoid chronic sunburn when i arrive in Australia in the middle of summer. I live in England, ive not seen the sun EVER...If i go to aus without preparing my skin, I will turn into lobsterman within 5 minutes of landing.

How long do you spend in front of your computer monitor Sarebear? How long do you use a mobile phone for? How long do you spend walking in new york traffic each day, breathing in those fumes? How long do youspend in bars that allow smoking? How much GM or chemically processed foods do you eat? I hope you dont smoke yourself or you would be an amazing hypocrite.

Pretty much everything has a degree of risk these days.
  • Options
    ...yeh!

(nice one bro ;) )
  • Options
    hahahahaha...getting a tan before come to Aust is pretty stupid if you ask me...no matter how tanned u are when u arrive here your still going to get cooked...hahahahahaha....so stupid!!
  • Options
    "Despite the common perception otherwise, the only benefit tanning provides is cosmetic. In addition to cancer, prolonged radiation exposure can lead to a dysfunctional immune system, sun and eye burns, cataracts, and photosensitivity reactions to medications.

Researchers estimate that a twenty-minute visit to the tanning booth is equivalent to spending a day at the beach. And contrary to most claims, there is no truth in getting a "base tan" in protecting against future sunburns."

- from www.personalmd.com

To BaldDog: I don't have a cell phone, I don't smoke and try as much as humanly possible to avoid other smokers. Also, I live in the suburbs of New York, not the city. I don't walk near traffic nor am I exposed to city fumes.

The point I'm trying to make is, yeah, I'm aware everything has a risk. Some things you can help and others you can't. Tanning is one thing you can help and protect yourself from easily, by NOT doing it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by falkna
    hahahahaha...getting a tan before come to Aust is pretty stupid if you ask me...no matter how tanned u are when u arrive here your still going to get cooked...hahahahahaha....so stupid!!

I didnt ask you.
  • Options
    Sare, ive never met anyone who spends 20 minutes in a tanning booth.

As for that website, there are sites just as reputable that say the exact opposite..Oh and it was my doctor who recommended doing this. I was also told to do it by my aunt who emmigrated to Australia 10 years back. It does work to prepare the skin.