Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Business awards bonus the way it wants to.

Sorry but I cant remember the actual specifics of this case but the jist was;

A woman employee of a big bank brought a sex descrimination case on the basis that her bonus was smaller than a male employee. Well she lost in the Lords under the judgement that the awarding of bonuses is too complex and there are a lot of factors that go into the decision and therefore you cant say it was specificly one thing that made it big or small.

Now I get the impression a few of you think of me as some cold hearted bastard economist but even for me this is a bit harsh. Oh well she still got 30K.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Really pretty difficult to say if it is harsh or not without knowing all the details of their positions and performance in those positions, not to mention increases in the bonus that could be due to educational or other achievements.
  • Options
    No of course but it does give companies free control to award bonuses how ever they fancy, which could lead to discrimination on the basis of colour/sex/sexuality/shoe size/etc
  • Options
    Could, but unlikely that it will. Bonuses are intended to reward/entice performance that makes the company money. It would be just plain stupid to not reward someone who made the company a lot of money because they were female, etc. Sure, some companies will be stupid. They're also more likely to go out of business.