Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The government publishes a 'torture dossier' on Iraq. And the point is?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    That assumes that by remedying one injustice you create another, do you think this is true?

No, and that wasn't what I suggested either.

It doesn't take an injustice to create a terrorist, just a perception of injustice. Anti-abortionists, animal rights, Basque separatists etc - from injustice?

@ Clandestine - I don't dispute that we could do more, but that isn't the issue here. The point I have been trying to make is that we can do our best but it is impossible to please all of the people, all of the time. I thought that was an accepted belief from anywhere.

Take a look at Israel - there are some terrorist group who will not be satisfied until the State of Israel ceases to exists. Now please them.

Oh, hang on though, wouldn't Jewish terrorism rise again if you did that?

As for causation, have you ever considered that culture may have something to do with it? What you are doing is looking at this from the perspective of someone who lives in a democratic, free culture. Other people don't have that luxury and one would question whether they actually want it, or maybe even are capable of it. The oldest cultures in the world can be found in the middle east - yet how many democratic free states are there? How many militarily, or religion, controlled states are there - how many ruled by divinity? Think this is a coincidence?
  • Options
    MoK, I also look at this as one who has traveled quite widely in the "developing" world where democracy isnt all that prevalent (at least little more than token democracy in numerous places).

I think you will find that self-determination is a intrinsic desire of all people wherever they may be and whatever culture or tradition they may be a part of. I speak of the average citizen of course, not necessarily the ruling elite of any particular country.

Now, I know full well that you cannot please all the people all the time, one need only look at the nutcases running around the US shooting people on practically an hourly if not daily basis to see that. Nevertheless, my point of contention with your POV isnt in the view that there will always be a certain percentage of malcontents and fanatics, that much is clear.

What i do contend with is your conclusion that this means we should continue invading other sovereign states and using warfare and military might to respond to these problems. I would argue that if we were to adopt a more constructive and contributory approach to the devastating inbalances of our current global economic system (heavily weighted against the poorer and developing nations) then we would, in the first instance, increase the opportunity levels for a growing precentage of the population in these societies to the point where precious few would be inclined to consider subscribing to fanatical terroristic causes as a worthy outlet for their efforts.

Having thus all but removed the fertile soil from which fanatics are able to cultivate new converts, these groups would be relegated to the category of mere international criminals (as opposed to any number of convenient militaristic categorisations they are now ascribed). Then they could be dealt with through national and/or international law enforcement agencies and an ICC.

You see, this would avoid the imperialistic demeanor we in the West have been incrementally allowing our goverments to herd us into out of fear and paranoia, and would allow for better domestic use of the billions of dollars which are being pumped into the MIC (and thereby back into certain government administration's pockets). Marginalisation of fanaticism by shouldering our national responsibilities to restoring greater balance in the distribution of wealth and opportunity is the only way that any WoT can truly be won.

The hawks, sadly enough, are too trigger happy and self-interested to even comprehend this fact.
  • Options
    Good point on the perception Mok

Like Clandestine said though although it may be impossible to please every one, I think the majority of those who are currently willing to follow extremists would not do so if there life chances were improved i.e. if global economic inbalances were reduced........
  • Options
    Clandestine, I pointed out that weakness isn't just a military avenue. That politics, economy etc are all places where we have weaknesses.

But how do we generate freedom from oppression without using force? Do you think someone like Mugabe or Saddam is going to give up thier power freely?

You talk about removing the fertile soil...so I take you back to Israel again, which is possibly the most fertile soil. And I ask the same question, if you have two directly opposing views, how do you solve it without using force?

With regards economy, we do have huge issues about debt and arms sales, I don't dispute that at all.
  • Options
    You alienate those that have those views, dispel them from the mainstream culture so that those who have them are viewed as outsiders.

This will probably take a long time but can be successful.

Rascism, sexism etc are now seen as 'bad' by mainstream society.....

Violence in N.Ireland has decreased because people see that the people that want to continue the violence are fools..........

This is the more difficult path but it is the best one, violence is the easy way........
  • Options
    Isn't alienation likely to bring a more "violent" response then?
  • Options
    I don't think that has happened with the IRA. Maybe political processes as well as social ones are required, a constant effort by politicians to find an agreement whilst discrediting terroroists is probably essential.....
  • Options
    As i presumed i had set out quite clearly MoK, once we have given the majority a new chance at brighter futures and a means of maintaining their dignity through constructive efforts (careers, small businesses, etc..) those fanatics which remain will be sufficiently marginalised as to put them well within the context of normal criminality and can be dealt with by national or international law enforcement and an International Court.

If our Western governments subscribe as they claim to the rule of law and to international law (more specifically) then this should be a clear and preferable solution to the situation rather than the more questionable choice of using military intervention in sovereign states.

The way things are now, the application of this military intervention in itself is highly selective despite the calls for war on the basis of "spreading democracy and freedom". Better we have an international law enforcement mechanism endorsed by all UN nations which could track down, arrest and extradite said criminals than see the hypocritical application of military power against a few dictatorial regimes whilst others that are just as bad are left alone becuase they serve some western power's interests.

It's all or nothing if we are to maintain any credibility or moral superiority, and total global conflict isnt what you are after I should hope. That leaves us with the option outlined above.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine

I think you will find that self-determination is a intrinsic desire of all people wherever they may be and whatever culture or tradition they may be a part of. I speak of the average citizen of course, not necessarily the ruling elite of any particular country.

Depends on what you mean by "self-determination". If you mean "power" in how they are governed, I'd say you are wrong. Many people could care less as long as they are more or less left alone to raise their children and their crops or flocks.
  • Options
    Well the case I know first hand of is the Basque separatists. And you can be assured that the great majority of those who want independence from Spain do so because they care about who is governing them and what official 'status' their region has. The Basque Country has its own official language, its own laws, its own police, its own local taxes and regulations, and Spain central government hardly intervenes.

But the terrorist group ETA continues its slaughter because a number of people there are taught since birth to hate the Spanish and to fight for an independent Basque nation, including the region of Navarra in Spain and one other region in France, regardless of what the local population might want. As it happens the sentiment about segregating versus remaining part of Spain is about 50/50. But there are a group of fanatical twats who are brainwashed into hating anything Spanish and to murder civilians for the right of segregation- even though the Basque Country is about as independent from Madrid as it can be.

So, with this group at least, regardless of how alone they have been left by the central government they still are willing to kill to obtain independence.
  • Options
    Aladdin, you may be correct for that group, and I'm sure that the same is true for many other groups, especially those in European and Fertile Crescent environments. But for many other people (who usually do not get involved in political groups of any sort), they just want to be left alone. Doesn't matter if they are from Latin America, Asia, etc. In some cases, it could be argued that governments like those of Europe and North America (USA & Canada at least) interfere with their populations as a whole more than some corrupt totalitarian regimes.
  • Options
    The point is we're the good guys...and Saddam will do anything to keep in power. Does that me we should just contain him or over-throw. Don't know but I know I'd trust Blair and Bush before I'd trust the UN or anyone else in the world.
  • Options
    Blind trust - beautiful

We're the good guys?

I thought we were the ones who wanted to wage a war of conquest?:confused:;)
  • Options
    I think Americans have decided that you can't wait for someone to strike first. Al Qaeda is doing themselves in with of all people dot, dot, dot, Muslims. In Indosnesia a McDonald's and car dealership were bombed. One person died and others were injured....but the point is no country can allow this to go on. I think I read Indosnesia makes $5billion US dollars in tourism. 1 billion from Bali alone. They won't be making that next year.

So glad I edited this and reread what I wrote later...never do that.
  • Options
    So why is Bush preparing to attack Iraq- which poses absolutely NO DANGER to America- instead of concentrating in dismantling Al Queida?
  • Options
    Its a wonder anyone bothers to take the time to explain at length the fact that waging war and invading countries is not going to solve the problems of which you speak pnj. I dont know what it will take to drum it into the thick blinkered heads of those who swallow the self-serving propaganda of the hawks, that only by acting constructively to put and end to the social injustices (which we "good guys" in the West are primarily responsible for) that give rise to violent forms of fanatical expression (aka terrorism) can we achieve the marginalisation of religious or ideological extremism and thereby relegate the threat of terrorism to the more manageable arena of law enforcement.

And Greenhat, you make this claim about what other people in developing countries want clearly on the basis of a comfortable Western view (which is itself derived from our long running freedoms and rights which have long been taken for granted). My own experiences is that people living under repressive dictatorships or other such regimes (largely put into place by the Western powers) would indeed welcome constructive empowerment and self determination so that they might "be left alone" to provide a brighter future for themselves and their children. People don't have to take an active interest in politics or even political activism in order to desire the benefits of self-determination for their nation(s).

As things stand in many parts of the world, the corruption at the top, which lines our nations' pockets, subsequently impoverishes the ingdigenous peoples of these developing countries and denies them most of the freedoms and opportunities we enjoy everyday.

So carry on with your blindness to the "real" geo-political, economic and social requirements of global security. You prefer guns and bombs and carnage anyways from the sounds of things.
  • Options
    Bottom line is the war on terror is a religious war. The one thing Osama Bin Laden didn't consider that Muslim Arab Americans and countries worldwide would help America.

That miscalculation is why he's losing. He also miscalculated the impact Bali would have. More people would have taken Clandestine's it's all America's fault perspective a few months ago. After Bali it just became so obvious that Al Qaeda wants to destroy economies as well as people.
  • Options
    I never said it was all America's fault. Nevertheless, you are being quite presumptuous for one who not long ago claimed not to even know much of what was going on. You seemed to have sided with the hawks pretty quickly whilst ignoring the serious problems that we have been the root cause of.

Frankly, OBL is still at large so id suggest you learn about the tenacity and patience of fanatical antagonists. A lull in activity does not signal a victory for anyone. Those that adopt that smug belief are only contributing to the problem by thinking we can merely keep on with the global status quo with impunity.

Dont fall into that trap before youve even had a chance to learn about how the world outside the US really works.
  • Options
    I'm not saying that poverty and jobs and all of that doesn't make people angry. Actually in Palestine, blowing yourself up is one of the best paying jobs...and that's wrong.

But this is about America not being in touch with the fact that the Saudi's encouraged Muslim extremism so that these groups would focus on the West and America....and not them.
  • Options
    Actually the root causes of "this" start long before anything Saudi even enters the picture. And its roots go deep into our self-interests around the globe and the powermongering of ultra-right wingers in Washington.

But you wont hear that on the evening news im sad to say.
  • Options
    Its a wonder anyone bothers to take the time to explain at length the fact that waging war and invading countries is not going to solve the problems of which you speak pnj. I dont know what it will take to drum it into the thick blinkered heads of those who swallow the self-serving propaganda of the hawks, that only by acting constructively to put and end to the social injustices (which we "good guys" in the West are primarily responsible for) that give rise to violent forms of fanatical expression (aka terrorism) can we achieve the marginalisation of religious or ideological extremism and thereby relegate the threat of terrorism to the more manageable arena of law enforcement.

And Greenhat, you make this claim about what other people in developing countries want clearly on the basis of a comfortable Western view (which is itself derived from our long running freedoms and rights which have long been taken for granted). My own experiences is that people living under repressive dictatorships or other such regimes (largely put into place by the Western powers) would indeed welcome constructive empowerment and self determination so that they might "be left alone" to provide a brighter future for themselves and their children. People don't have to take an active interest in politics or even political activism in order to desire the benefits of self-determination for their nation(s).

As things stand in many parts of the world, the corruption at the top, which lines our nations' pockets, subsequently impoverishes the ingdigenous peoples of these developing countries and denies them most of the freedoms and opportunities we enjoy everyday.

So carry on with your blindness to the "real" geo-political, economic and social requirements of global security. You prefer guns and bombs and carnage anyways from the sounds of things.

Bullshit, Clandestine. "Self-determination" as you seem to be pushing it requires active interest, or the "benefits" become ones that don't actually benefit. Instead they become the marks of those who "know what is good for you". "Freedoms" require responsibilities and not everyone is interested in taking on those responsibilities, or is ready to contemplate taking on those responsibilities. A little review of how well democracy has worked around the world will illustrate the point very well. Or maybe you think Zimbabwe, Malaysia, Columbia and Indonesia are shining examples of how "self-determination" benefits all?
  • Options
    Actually Greenhat, best you stick to making war, its what you know best.

If anything would be classed as "knowing whats best for you" it would be those who, like you, think invasion and setting up sycophant regimes in the names of democracy will solve either the global security issue or the needs of the indigenous peoples.

People hold aspirations of freedom and opportunity without being frontline activists themselves. Many choose to support others within their societies who oppose current repressive regimes. Our task would be far more constructive (if somewhat less self-interested) if we enabled grassroots oppositions to gather ground from amongst their own populations naturally rather than by imposition. Our task should be more the role of ensuring that our actions in a given country do not simply continue propping up the benefits and status quo for an elite minority over the vast majority of the population.

As far as "how well democracy works" we need not go so far as Zimbabwe to see the problems, our own US democratic framework was already shown to be questionable in the 2000 Presidential election (Supreme Court coup d'etat). But then this is a matter that is a separate discussion unto itself.

It doesnt take the abrogation of international law and decency (aka third party military invasion) to achieve lasting social justice, however much you might enjoy your role as the strong arm of our corrupt administration.
  • Options
    As far as "how well democracy works" we need not go so far as Zimbabwe to see the problems, our own US democratic framework was already shown to be questionable in the 2000 Presidential election (Supreme Court coup d'etat). But then this is a matter that is a separate discussion unto itself.

Bothered to check the results of Florida recounts lately?
    It doesnt take the abrogation of international law and decency (aka third party military invasion) to achieve lasting social justice, however much you might enjoy your role as the strong arm of our corrupt administration.

Mind pointing to anywhere that has achieved "lasting social justice" (within a historical context, thank you).
  • Options
    Mind pointing to anywhere that has achieved lasting social justice....

Indeed, thats the very reason these discussions have come up in the first place! lol. There isnt, since within the modern era (to keep things within a limited and relevant time frame) we have been too busy using militaristic intervention and illicit regime manipulation to maintain a status quo that is reaping the fruit of discontent, disenfranchisement, hatred and terrorism. The very things we are addressing in terms of finding a more constructive and effective solution for. Violence has clearly not proved successful.

Funny that you tell others to go enroll in logic courses and you yourself are repeatedly unable to even follow the purpose of the duscussion. :rolleyes:

Your credibility gap is growing ol boy! :p
  • Options
    "Lasting Social Justice"

The reasoning behind the actions of Robespiere, Rosa Luxembourg and "Imman" Khomeni....among others...
  • Options
    Now lets see, invasion by a third party nation is okay but revolution from within (as is the case of your more selective examples) is not okay? lol. A real endless contradiciton you are Greenhat! lol.

Perhaps you despise agents of change that arisa from amongst an indeigenous population but at least they are examples of self-determinate action and not reliant on external military might to achieve social change (for better or for ill).

Can you imagine if they were trying that today? hmmm methinks theyd be labelled terrorists and summarily hunted down and shot by CIA drones. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Now lets see, invasion by a third party nation is okay but revolution from within (as is the case of your more selective examples) is not okay? lol. A real endless contradiciton you are Greenhat! lol.

Perhaps you despise agents of change that arisa from amongst an indeigenous population but at least they are examples of self-determinate action and not reliant on external military might to achieve social change (for better or for ill).

I'm not a contradiction at all. I don't pretend to know what is morally good for the whole world, unlike yourself. Nor do I claim to know what every person in the world wants, just those I have come into contact with and dealt with in regards to those wants. Of course, I'm pretty sure that is more people than you have, of more diverse backgrounds and cultures. I'm just aware of what it takes to maintain a moderate amount of security and opportunity for the people of the world to better themselves. But I'm really not surprised that you would choose to defend the terrors of "revolutions" that killed and oppressed more than the governments they replaced all in the name of "social justice". Makes you sound morally superior, doesn't it? Of course, also means you are defending mass murderers.
  • Options
    Oh really?? how interesting you should point that finger at me when the US Government under right wing administrations have supported Contra rebels, Afghani warlords, mujahadeen fighters, the violent overthrow of a democratically elected Alliende in Chile to install Pinochet who was....(drum roll please) a mass murderer! surprise sursprise, and the list goes on...

Quite to the contrary of your exaggerated claims, I do not suppose to know what every person in the world wants, but i have travelled extensively enough and dealt with a wide enough diversity of cultures and public opinion to know that it is a fairly general human aspiration to enjoy the benefits of opportunity and personal liberty rather than toil under corrupt puppet regimes installed by foreign governments.

Go back to your paper pushing ol pitbull and stop digging yourself deeper into the hole you started a long while back.
  • Options

Quite to the contrary of your exaggerated claims, I do not suppose to know what every person in the world wants, but i have travelled extensively enough and dealt with a wide enough diversity of cultures and public opinion to know that it is a fairly general human aspiration to enjoy the benefits of opportunity and personal liberty rather than toil under corrupt puppet regimes installed by foreign governments.

In exactly how many continents? Oh, we've had that answer before. Two. One of which is Europe. Thank you for playing.
  • Options
    You keep right on living in your self aggrandized little delusion there Greeny, its a wonderful source of entertainment. :lol: