Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Vitamin 'A'

I've read on the Vitamin Collection today that the lack of Vit A will prevent the synthesis of a substance called retinol, which leads to blindness. The web site says that the most direct source of Vit A is liver.

What gets me is that the availability of all of the other vitamin letters is very straight forward. You can find them in peanuts, bananas, rice, eggs, cheese, bran, yogurt. Of course, just one orange will give you 100% RDA in Vit C, and your own body can store up to 3 months supply of Vit C.

So, have any of you got any idea of where else to get Vit A? Now obviously, I'm getting enough of it because I still got one eye. Thanks!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    carrots have a lot of vitamin A in them. and most multivitamin supplements will have 100% of your RDA of vitamin A.
  • Options
    Thanks Mrs B!

It just didn't occur to me at the time I wrote my last post of the phrase "carrots makes you see in the dark".
  • Options
    youre right, thats where the phrase comes from, although I dont know if vitamin A actually improves night vision or not.
  • Options
    Yeah carrots is the main source I can think of. It's pretty rare to develop a deficiency in vitamin A.
    I wouldn't rely on vitamin supplements though... it has been proven in intensive consumer tests that they usually don't make any difference at all to the body's levels of vitamins.
  • Options
    I've just had a stew, with carrots in it.

As for multivitamins, I have never tried them. A solid person like me has always stuck with solid food!

I was just a bit consious after about vitamin A, because of my bad vision in the first place. I didn't want to jeapodise my one and only eye.
  • Options
    I didnt think the body stored much vit C, when talking to my sister (a nurse) she mentioned the reason you can take massive amounts 2000mg+ because it just flushes out of your body quickly.
  • Options
    Bongbudda, my mum also said that vit C cannot be stored. It was only a couple of days that I read off the 'Vitamin Collection' (link on top post), that up to three months can be stored.

What are the two substances in your signiture?
  • Options
    To clear up the confusion: Vitamin A IS retinol. Beta carotene from fruit and vegetables is also converted into vitamin A by the body.
  • Options
    I'm surprised no-ones asked before, its a convertion using lactone and sodium hydroxide.
  • Options
    if u eat a polar bears liver u die cos of it has soooo much vitamin A in it and its poisonous.

i dont thnk thats gonna happen though!

i was gonna ask bout the signature as well...but i worked it out :P
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    if u eat a polar bears liver u die cos of it has soooo much vitamin A in it and its poisonous.

Actually now you mention that, all liver is very high in vitamin A, I remember it being one of the foods thats not recommended in pregnancy for this reason. As if anyone in their right mind would ever eat liver anyway.:yuck:
  • Options
    u missed out the 'H' on sodium hydroxide by the way:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    u missed out the 'H' on sodium hydroxide by the way:)

Would that be NaHO?
  • Options
    Ooops, typo.
  • Options
    its actually NaOH sorry!;)
  • Options
    I got it right all along and you can never prove otherwise, ha ha ha
  • Options
    Sneaky me. Did a PRINT SCREEN on your old sig!

Nao.gif
  • Options
    caught!!!
  • Options
    ner ner nee ner ner, bong budda doesnt know his periodic table
  • Options
    Please excuse the large fonts! Thats what it looks like on my computer. Anything smaller is too difficult to read.