Home› Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The perfectioTony Blair and the Queen regarding 911

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was so proud to be an English/American with the loyalty Tony Blair and the Queen expressed. Sounds simple right. Politicians just saying we're with you. But not to knock Canada, let me show the difference between the way the UK and the PM of Canada conveys messages.

Basically Canada had said the same thing. It's tragic and we're with you. But unlike Tony Blair and the Queen who said the one simple message of support, the PM of Canada said that and a bunch of other things.

So we're watching the towers fall over and over again on TV, military jets are now flying above my little beach town going between NYC and Washington D.C. and my dad tells me that everyday 250,000 people pass through the WTC complex. We can't imagine how many have died. So the first thing we hear is the support from the world and especially the UK. But, instead of picking up Canada's message of support, the media picks up what the PM also said: we must keep the borders open for trade between Canada and the US. Then it becomes this big media thing and finally we hear that Canada had also said they were sorry for our loss etc.

Later on, the same message of support from the UK. From Canada, there's a poll that says Canadians think America caused the attack.

Overall, especially in my town, we know Canadians are our friends. But what you should be proud of in the UK is the stature with which you're held here and that's because of the way Tony Blair and the Queen handle crisis. Words can't express how much it meant to me. (Not to mention the fact that everyone knows I'm an English American here and if the UK was loopy about this...I would have been soooo teased.)

Comments

• Options
    The way Blair (and the Queen? :confused: ) unconditionally supports the US is a national disgrace and makes a mockery of our supposed democratic principles.........

Blair should not be 'loyal' to the US he should consult the whole international community and the people of Britain...........
  • Options
    I don't think Osama realized that the West could, or would work so quickly to get him the heck out of Afghanistan. Liberals in the US or UK or whever who want to debate liberties that may be lost are in their own world...not the real world. Even France is rounding up people 12 this week alone 6 last week, as fast as they can. Doing nothing but debating topics is a sure fire way to end life as we know it in the West.

Regarding Iraq. I don't want to trust Saddam that he won't share knowledge and materials for biological or chemical weapons and won't use a nuclear bomb or dirty bomb once he gets it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    I don't think Osama realized that the West could, or would work so quickly to get him the heck out of Afghanistan

Unfortunately other than make him escape and leave his beloved cave behind there is no much that has been achieved. That's not necessarily anyone's fault. Al Queida and its leader are simply alive, well and fully operational. Pity that the US and its little servile dog Tony Blair have turned their attentions to something else altogether, don't you think?
  • Options
    I Liberals in the US or UK or whever who want to debate liberties that may be lost are in their own world...not the real world. Even France is rounding up people 12 this week alone 6 last week, as fast as they can. Doing nothing but debating topics is a sure fire way to end life as we know it in the West.

Life in the west being the life of freedom and liberty then?

Or are you thinking of the one where we eat cheap food, create as much pollution and garbage as we want and take advantage of the developing world?

Really something to stick up for there..............
  • Options
    I love McDonald's. Sorry. As opposed to what is it declaring fawa's. I'm sick of Muslim extremism. Who the hell are they to cause so much trouble in the world? And no religious run country works...including Isreal. They're all a mess.

One by one we're getting the leaders of Al Qaeda. But I think we'll always be dealing with forms of terrorism because any nut-job will have information on how to use the Internet to build bombs and get in touch with others who feel the same as they do. Plus technology advances and explosives are part of that "advancement" whether we like it or not.

I don't think Tony Blair is a lap dog. I think he sees you can't pretend a threat isn't there and hope it goes away. Once Saddam has his new weapons in place...he'll threaten at least his neighbors...and the so much of the world's oil supply. I'm glad we're not taking the chance on trusting that he won't pass on materials or knowledge to Al Qaeda on how to make a dirty bomb or biological bomb.

Isreal and the US are about to start vaccinating people against Smallpox. Who the hell are these Muslim perverts, Muslims who are perverting Islam, to cause so much suffering.

We're in a war. The Queen and Tony Blair recognize it. They're doing what's best for the UK. Besides, they influenced Bush. He wanted to go right into Iraq.
  • Options
    Oh yes, another one who thinks Patriotism is standing by looking for enemies everywhere our politicians point their fingers.

Perhaps you havent been around long enough to realise that when governments and their leaders start diverting attention to the great "foreign menace" you can bet they themselves are up to no good at home.

Take for instance this new Homeland Security Dept. which you probably think is the greatest thing the gov could have done for the country. Then look at whats been reported even recently about the the thousands of decent law abiding Americans who have already been falsely accused of having links to terrorism and have been black listed and cannot get their names off the list even though they have been cleared by the FBI.

What you are celebrating here in "reality" is the rebirth of a McCarthy style era of invasion of privacy, accusation and recrimination, and evidence collected and used against people without judicial review or any required proof of the surveillance authorities that such invasion is necessary in any given case.

The US public has largely allowed itself to be victimised by fearmongering and has adopted a defensive posture that will only serve to alienate it further from the "real" world we live in.

Even now the racism creeps into your posts under the guise of hating Muslim "extremists", but ask yourself this, how does one recognise that this or that Muslim might be an extremist? They might be just ordinary folk trying to get through life peacefully like anyone else. Problem is religious extremism is not isolated to the Muslim community. Throughout the Bible Belt you have bigotted, self righteous fanatical Christians who would sooner blow up a doctor that performs abortions as look at him.

So dont get so caught up in the hype the media is feeding until you start asking what our own government is doing to us and to those outside our shores in our name.

Maybe then youll come to see that the old addage is true " Do unto others as you have them do unto you".

One of these days my fellow countrymen will have to come to realise that the comforts and excesses we take for granted leave significant numbers of others destitute and without hope. Better we treat the illness and stop simply dropping bombs on the symptoms.
  • Options
    John, John, John, John, John.

America is a Jewish run country, If america does something the Jews don't like then their running the large corporations allows them to lay people off and the President sure as hell wont get elected again.

Blair is incompetant. Local Council workers (Refuse collection, Canteen staff etc) have been on strike this year as have policemen. Firemen are in the middle of an 8 day strike, Teachers and Councillers are on strike today. If he's not careful Nurses are going to too. To add to that the people from the countryside marched on London to stop Labour interfering in the lives of country folk.
  • Options
    Since when has the queen done anything?:confused: :eek2:
  • Options
    Hmmm. When a Muslim flys and commercial airliner into a building...I call him an extremist. When they plan out a small bomb to get surfers and teen to the front of a club to come to the front of the club so then a bigger bomb can blow them apart in Bali...I call them extremists.

This idea of It's all Good...could get us all killed. We have laws that separate church and state and protect religion. But dirt-bags are not going to come into America and use it's immigration laws against it. Perhaps they should try Brussels?
  • Options
    Never suggested anything was good frankly. You just refuse to ask yourself some hard questions about the logical end to your way of thinking.

So once again I ask you. How are you going to recognise who is an extremist and who isnt?

Youre simplistic rebuttal smacks of hidden bigotry toward all Middle Eastern or Arab looking people. Should we keep them all out except for those of Israeli nationality? Is there no extremism amongst Israeli's? And what of those of other ethnic backgrounds who practice Islam? Heck there are plenty of white middle class Sunni Muslims in the US, those born and those converted. Do we then ban any who subscribe to Islam?

Where do you draw the line by sight as to who is dangerous and who isnt?

Simple fact is you cant. And Paranoid hate inspiring rhetoric or overt actions isnt gonna make our nation any more secure. Kill some Al Queda and there's probably 2 or 3 new recruits for every martyr we make. Such is the nature of such fanatical movements.

If we give in to the kind of fear and hatred that the current administration is pandering to in order to get its other agendas through unquestioned, how long is it before we are a nation under the complete boot heel of Washington, living in anxiety of any foreigner we meet and shut off from anything that has come to symbolise what we claim we are fighting for?

In the end I once again argue, you cannot make the world more secure or even our own land unless we as a nation are willing to recognise the greed and corruption that our leaders pursue to the detriment of millions who are denied even the basic freedoms we enjoy (for how much longer is the question) under our Constitution, and are prepared to hold them accountable for it.

If not, its a long slow downward spiral until we are no longer even rhetorically a land of freedom and hope, but rather one of suspicion and alienation.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RoyalSubject
    have been on strike this year as have policemen.

The police are forbidden from striking, as are the armed forces. Which is why the police are paid more than other public sector workers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

The police are forbidden from striking, as are the armed forces. Which is why the police are paid more than other public sector workers.
    Ah, but soldiers get shite pay, don't they? Which introduces an interesting slant to the discussion, probably concerning the type of people who want to enlist ("Well, the money's lousy, but you might get to shoot someone...")
  • Options
    Clandestine I agree with a lot of what you said. I also agree about greed and the leaders or powerful people but, this part of what you said had nothing to do with top people in Al Qaeda. It's that Whaabi (spelling) take on Islam the Saudi's push so they can keep the pressure/spotlight off of them.

The Its All Good perspective kept us from seeing these extremist for what they are or being afraid to profile.

Not all Muslims are terrorists...but all terrorists are Muslims.

In my town I was part of a group on 9/12 that left notes and flowers on the local Mosque saying you're welcome here and reminding them to call the police if something happens.

Muslims, Americans and in other places, are our special ops forces...now in Yemen an Pakistan. They're playing the most vital role in protecting us.

I like Bush because he doesn't neeeed to be liked. He's doing what's best for America. ..and not taking chances.
  • Options
    pnj, im flattered that you say you agree with me but there are some things we obviously dont see eye to eye on.

First off all terrorists are not Muslim. Try telling the IRA or the Loyalist Paramils in Northern Ireland that they are Muslim. lol. Each are terrorist organisations in their own right and far older than Al Queda in their operations.

As for Bush, i think youve got some starry eyed notion of him and his administration. They are the ones only creating more insecurity by continuing to make violent messess around the globe under the guise of the WoT but in reality only in areas where their friends in the oil industry can benefit (and thus the administration via kickbacks). Moreover, Bush and Ashcroft are happy as pigs in shit that they can now have the biggest domestic spying agency under their control (DHS).

I hope you have your eyes opened to the systemic disregard for Constitutional rights that will ensue and the further decent lives that will be ruined for whatever purpose serves the moment out of all this.

The only way to make the future any more secure and peaceful is to start waking Americans up to what the Gov is doing behind our backs and how much we as a nation take from the rest of world whilst leaving them to struggle under oppressive but US friendly puppet regimes and with little or no economic future to look forward to.

If we dont, there will only be more terrorists filling the shoes of the fallen and the captured. Its time we got off our high self righteous horse and learned to behave in the world like a good and responsible global neighbour, not the local bully.
  • Options
    I like Bush because he doesn't neeeed to be liked. He's doing what's best for America. ..and not taking chances.

That is what you have been led to believe. America is at greater risk of being destroyed by mutant man-eating pumpkins than by Saddam (well, almost).

If Bush was so concerned about the integrity and safety of the US he would concentrate on eliminating the Al Queada network while drastically changing its foreign policy, blanket support of Israel's ways and contempt for international agreements.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    That is what you have been led to believe. America is at greater risk of being destroyed by mutant man-eating pumpkins than by Saddam (well, almost).

Of course, they're Saddam's genetically engineered mutant man-eating pumpkins...
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    Liked this discussion. Just wanted to underline my reason for posting: I saw it as the chance to honor and say thank you to two English leaders: The Queen and Tony Blair. And to point out the Queen's value. (Not that it's for me to point out.)