Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Long distance relationship?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is anyone else in one? They suck! :(

I've been with my boyf for 2 &1/2 years now, and the last 5 months (since we left uni) have been long distance. I haven't seen him for 2 weeks now, and I have no idea when I'm gonna see him next. Was supposed to be tonight but he has car problems (all self-inflicted though!!). To make it worse I don't think we're talking cos I got in a mood with him for not coming down! :mad:

What's the point in being in a relationship if you never see the other person? :banghead:

Sorry. Felt like a rant!!

Comments

• Options
    i know how you feel faith!!!! I dont see Steven a lot - once/ twice a week max and its so hard!!!!! I miss him like mad but when i bring it up he things i'm moaning. i know he tries his hardest to see me as much as possible but i guess i'll just have to learn to live with it i suppose!!

sorry that wasnt much help but i just wanted you to know someone knows what your going through!!!:)

dont worry it will all work out fine in the end - for both of us!!!!;)
  • Options
    Thanx for the reply hun!
    Originally posted by Lyndsay
    I miss him like mad but when i bring it up he things i'm moaning.
    Yep! I get that too! I get shouted that it's not his fault, stop going on, etc. But the only reason I moan about it is cos I hate it and miss him!

Men! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lyndsay
    i know how you feel faith!!!! I dont see Steven a lot - once/ twice a week max and its so hard!!!!!

My God, I would be soooo happy if I could see Dunc "once/twice a week max". By Christmas I will have seen him about 2 times in 3 months :( And even when I'm home in Bristol, it can often be 3 weeks to a month before I see him, 'cos he's doing an LPC in London and doesn't often get the chance to get away. Sniff sniff.

But one 'advantage' of long distance relationships I s'pose is that when we do visit each other, it's usually for a few days (and nights) so at least I know I'm going to have someone to snuggle up to at night ;)

But yeah, it's shit. We've survived it for a year and a half though so far, and there is a small possibility he might get a training contract in Bristol next year. Fingers crossed....
  • Options
    I suppose it may be slightly differnt for me, as i am younger but there is one person i'd love to be with. We decied not to have a relationship as we are so far apart (well Im in Southend and h's in Sheffield). We really like each other but we wouldnt ever see eachother...niether of us can drive or anything, and by train its about 4 hours so its pretty impossoble apart from on a weekend. :( Its a same but he's going to move out soon (hes just turned 16) and he's visiting me soon too. We decided if it all works out well, he might move down here with me :)

Sorry for going on about my life! Im in one of them moods. I know how you feel though to not be able to see him/her whenever you want.
  • Options
    You kept this quiet em.Who is this then eh??? Is it one of the northeners you talk to on msn? Private msg me the answer sorry for goin off topic.
  • Options
    aww ((hugs)) yeah i woz in one one a few months back, if uve been wiv ur bf like 2 n half years surely u can sort sumink out?
    s_m_b xXX
  • Options
    Originally posted by sexy_manchester_babe
    if uve been wiv ur bf like 2 n half years surely u can sort sumink out?
    s_m_b xXX

like what??

we have both just left uni so are broke after being poor students for a year. Both still living at home cos we're looking for jobs and have no money. We can't move in together til we both get good jobs cos we are so broke it's not funny! There really is nothing we can do.

And yeah, Lyndsay is lucky - by the time I get to see my boyf it'll be about 3 weeks since I last saw him. And even then I'll probably only get to see him for a day or 2 at the most. :(
  • Options
    Yeh I know how it is :( But you live about 20 mins up the road from my boyf! (he lives in Bournemouth) :(

We have seen each other 5 times since the 16th August, but we see each other more regularly now, say every 2 or 3 weeks, and that's usually for a week at a time roughly, but each time we go back home its even worse :(
  • Options
    Faith, I had a girlie back in 1996 and that was long distance. I met her on an outdoor pursuits holiday in Cardiff, and silly like we were, we dated. After the week ended (July 27th), she goes back to Pembroke area and me to the Midlands near Shrewsbury, where I live. Great! It was like 200 miles between us.

August 1996 was down completely to love letters and postcards. Finally, September came and I go back to 6th form and my girlfriend goes to a boarding school in Birmingham. I live in a very remote village and you really have to be a driver if you want to get out and about. We were both visually impaired though. I did work out bus and train times and was able to see her once every week or fortnight.

The worst gap between meetings was near October half-term. My parents went to France for a few days. They didn't want me to venture out into Birmingham while my parents were away. I think that ended up with a four week gap before I saw her again.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith

like what??

we have both just left uni so are broke after being poor students for a year. Both still living at home cos we're looking for jobs and have no money. We can't move in together til we both get good jobs cos we are so broke it's not funny! There really is nothing we can do.

Yes there is - you can just grin and bear it. 3 weeks isn't that long when you think about it (certainly better than my 1 1/2 months) and I assume you've got quite a lot to do job seeking, filling in application forms etc. so you're keeping busy in the time between. And because you don't see him as often as you used to, you'll appreciate his visits more, and your time together will be more special. It also means because you're not in one another's pockets 24/7, there's less chance of silly arguments ( apart from 'when are you going to see me?' moans). In the 20 months that me and Dunc have been together we haven't had a single argument, and I think that's partly because of the distance.

And of course you can look forward to the time when you can afford to move in together. What sort of jobs are you going for by the way, and where can you see yourself living when you move out?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Meryn

Yes there is - you can just grin and bear it. 3 weeks isn't that long when you think about it (certainly better than my 1 1/2 months) and I assume you've got quite a lot to do job seeking, filling in application forms etc. so you're keeping busy in the time between. And because you don't see him as often as you used to, you'll appreciate his visits more, and your time together will be more special. It also means because you're not in one another's pockets 24/7, there's less chance of silly arguments ( apart from 'when are you going to see me?' moans). In the 20 months that me and Dunc have been together we haven't had a single argument, and I think that's partly because of the distance.

Wish I could be as sensible as you! hehe I think it's worse cos we saw each other every day for 2 years whilst we were at uni and going out, so now not seeing each other much is really wierd cos I'm not used to it at all. As for the arguements - we have been arguing more lately than ever! :(
    And of course you can look forward to the time when you can afford to move in together. What sort of jobs are you going for by the way, and where can you see yourself living when you move out?

We're both looking for Graphic Design jobs. He's looking up in Bucks area and I'm looking in Dorset. I think it's gonna be a case of whoever finds a job first the other one will move to them.

I know it could be a lot worse but I've been feeling really down about stuff this week and needed to get some of it off my chest, so ta for everyone's replies.
  • Options
    Yeah, I suppose that we have it easier in a way, because we were only in the same town for 3 months (including the month long Easter holidays, when I only saw him once) so we've had a while to get used to the long distance thing. To be honest, I'm amazed at the way it's gone, at first I kind of assumed he was only out for an end of term fling, and half expected him to drop me when he graduated (I sent him a letter just after he left, asking him whether he wanted to carry on, I'd understand if he thought a long distance relationship would be too complicated, but I wouldn't be happy, because I'd grown very attached etc.:o) So don't give up hope, it's only a short term blip :)
  • Options
    Meryn and Monserat, I know what you mean. I myself am in a long distance relationship for a distance that takes 9 hours to make. I myself live in the US as I'm getting through school. My girl lives over there in the UK, near Southhampton. I just got to see her three weeks ago, after 4 months. The sad part is I might have to wait till the summer to get to see her again.
    I'm in love with her, and I can barely see her. It is really not that kewl. But I mean, I can live with it cause I know that I love her and that one of these days I'll get to see her. I mean all you out there that have someone long distance, it makes the times that you ARE together so much more special.
    Hey guys, to you out there, yo, cheating. NOT COOL! Playing, wrong dogs. Sorry for being a "yank" but its worth it just to stay faithful. And Faith, stay in there. You will be able to make it really far later in life if you can do this.
  • Options
    Originally posted by JackK
    And Faith, stay in there. You will be able to make it really far later in life if you can do this.

Thanks :) I don't feel so bad now that I know some of you are on opposite sides of the world.....dunno how you do it!
  • Options
    Being apart

There's alot of negative press for long distance relationships it is hard but it depends on how much you like the other person. I've been with my boyfriend for three years four in oct and for 2 and a half years i was in essex and he was in hull and it was a four hour train ride costing 50 quid as neither of us drove. I only got to see Dan about once a month and it sucked but we talked online and on the phone all the time we made sacrifies but i adore him and missed him like crazy but i couldnt imagine being with someone else
  • Options
    Re: Being apart
    Originally posted by hot_kate
    I've been with my brother for three years four in oct
    I hope u mean boyfriend!

Oh yeah and this is an old thread :)