Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

twenty billion pounds a year !

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i cant even contemplate what that figure realy means. to try and put it in context i have to compare it with other figures.
the dome one billion.
28 countries have pledged money to rebuild afgahnistan...four and a half billion pounds.
saddam hussien has reputedly paid three and a half billion pounds to libya so his family can flee there.
one family 3 1/2. one country 4.
but us...20 billion a yr in the uk on ilegal drugs is the governments estimate. that is one phenominal ammount of dosh !
a hell of a lot of drugs being consumed. so if drugs are that bad, that dangerous to our health...how come the streets aren't littered with the dead and the dying ?
why at least isn't the N.H.S. collapsing under the sheer volume of drug related disease and death ?

Comments

• Options
    Re: twenty billion pounds a year !

Reason being that you dont see them i reckon. Drug culture is notoriously underground. From the news perspective i reckon that noone wants to hear about anoter junkie who died of an overdose....

I think that it does happen... Is all round us... But youd only know the full extent of what happens from the inside.
  • Options
    but i have been inside it and it just isn't happening. the nhs is being overloaded with obesity, heart disease, cancer, lung cancer and other tobacco related ailments.
    yes drugs...class A's do fuck a lot of people up. but rarely medicaly and rarely in death.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    but i have been inside it and it just isn't happening. the nhs is being overloaded with obesity, heart disease, cancer, lung cancer and other tobacco related ailments.
    yes drugs...class A's do fuck a lot of people up. but rarely medicaly and rarely in death.

Not disagreeing entirely with you Mr Roll, but the mental health problems you mentioned are still a very big drain on the NHS and society itself.
    The amount of users now addicted to Methadone that the NHS supplies.
    The amount of users in homes for the mentally ill, homes funded by the state.
    The ex- users on medicaton for depression etc, medication subsidised by the NHS.
    Ok so thousands arent dying from drug use or have illnesses/problems directly related to drug use but how many deaths, health problems of drug users could actually be a result of drug use but put down to other things. You dont exactly go telling your Dr that your piles or anal prolapse is probably caused by the constipation caused by your drug taking.?
  • Options
    Last time I heard any figures it was £8Bn per year in the UK, I dont think that we've got that many more users have we?

The scariest is the US figure I heard which hovered around $200bn a year.

Both are preaty big pies, hmmm, I think I might take a slice.