Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

rock climbing/abseiling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
okay i really need some help here.

have just come back from a 2 day course that we had to attend at an outdoor centre as part of our uni course. anyway, we had to do all these outdoor activities like rock climbing, and team building games etc... all the usual stuff really.

anyway, i'm in 3rd year at uni now. was very active/sporty at school, but kinda fell out of the habit of this once i started uni. so anyway, i really enjoyed this course and would like to get into rock climbing/abseiling but don't know how!?

have looked at the clubs/societies offered in uni and they only have a mountaineering one which looks v. scary and too advanced for me.

so anyone wanna help me??
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Re: rock climbing/abseiling
    Originally posted by emmex
    okay i really need some help here.

have just come back from a 2 day course that we had to attend at an outdoor centre as part of our uni course. anyway, we had to do all these outdoor activities like rock climbing, and team building games etc... all the usual stuff really.

anyway, i'm in 3rd year at uni now. was very active/sporty at school, but kinda fell out of the habit of this once i started uni. so anyway, i really enjoyed this course and would like to get into rock climbing/abseiling but don't know how!?

have looked at the clubs/societies offered in uni and they only have a mountaineering one which looks v. scary and too advanced for me.

so anyone wanna help me??

Can't you set up your own club? I'm sure lots of people would be interested in doing that sort of thing. My uni used to have clubs for both those activities so it's nothing new.

Otherwise local gyms and sports centres should have climbing walls etc. Get a group of mates together and see if you can go and join lessons there.

I really must get back into climbing it's about 2 years since I did any, but love it....along with canoeing. :D
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: rock climbing/abseiling
    Originally posted by Ilson-Youth

you cant just set up your own club, you need a qualified instructor, Unless you want to be a gang of people pissing about on rocks, which isnt really a good thing.

yes I know that, but uni's fund clubs to get the neccessary instructors, providing you can prove there are enough interested people for it o be worth while.

Every uni has a different approach to seting up clubs though, so wasn't going into details, as if he enquires about what is needed to do this they will tell him all at the SU.

Although i learnt to climb basically by a load of us pising about. Well there wasn't a qualified instructor just 3 of the lads I'm mates with are really good and so looked after us. :)
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: rock climbing/abseiling
    Originally posted by Ilson-Youth

you cant just set up your own club, you need a qualified instructor, Unless you want to be a gang of people pissing about on rocks, which isnt really a good thing.

My uncles a qualified trainer, and runs courses that take out groups of people, buisness men through to kids in homes on outdays, i could try and find out more information from him, or find a link to his website sometime.

But i think if you are just starting out, your best to just organise a group of you, and pay an instructor, he will find a rock face that will cater for your skills, and he will set up all the safty equipment etc...
    Failing that, a indoor rock face is a good idea, these have qualifyed professionals around, and these will beable to help and guide you where necassary

Sorry for the delay in posting!! thanks for all your replies. that would be really great if you could get me a web link or whatever. cheers everyone!