Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Same sex marriage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We were having a debate at college today on whether or not same sex couples should be allowed to marry.

Personally, i believe that if you are in love with someone and want to spend the rest of your life with them then you should be allowed to marry them, whether they are of a different sex or not.

I was, however, only one of two people in a group of 12 that thought this way. I couldn't believe the double standards that people were using, for example one of the lads said "I don't mind puffs, but they shouldn't do it in public, and as for marriage, well thats just sick!"

It made me soooo angry at these small minded people, as one of my close friends is gay.

why do people have such a problem with it????

Comments

• Options
    No problem, marriage is nothing more than a public ceremony to celebrate a loving relationship.

Some people bollock on about how it is a complex social institution for the stability of family but that isn't true so theres no reason why homosexuals shouldn't marry.

lets study germany for a few years and see if the structure of their society breaks down :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The only consolation is most of those people who say that "they shouldn't do it in public" and that marriage for gays "is sick" are just ignorant teens speaking out of their arses (no pun intended), and that as they grow older and wiser they will no doubt reverse their way of thinking.

God-botherers and "family values" [spit] campaigners don't have a monopoly on marriage anyway. Considering more and more people couldn't give a shit about marriage, they should count themselves lucky that gay couples want to embrace this archaic and ultimately pointless ritual. Soon they'll be the only ones wanting to get married.
  • Options
    I think they should be allowed to. Don't really see anything in religion even that says it is wrong. Not strictly speaking anyway.

If two people love each other that is what matters. marriage is a constitution based on love and surely this should be allowed to be shown between two people whether they are of the same sex or not.

It is a fear that has been instilled in people for many centuries now that says it is wrong, we have a modern society in most other ways now...lets embrace that fact and let people be themselves and show their love for others how they want.

Also just as a sub topic from this what do people think about gay parents wanting to adopt and them both having the ability to adopt rather than just one?

Personally I think it should be allowed, for the childs sake more than anything. You never know whats going to happen to the parent who has the adoption rights and why put a child through the commotion of being re-adopted if anything does happen to them. If two people are together they should be allowed to have adopt together. if it was a straight couple there would be no arguements why should it be different for a gay couple?
  • Options
    I agree, I believe if the relationship is stable, and the child will be well looked after then what's the problem?

Its the child that matters not society's small mindedness and prejudices.

There are so many children in care these days that its absolutely absurd to deny them a loving home just because the propective parents happen to be gay.
  • Options
    At 63 I personally oppose formal marrage by the gender challenged folk...if such folk live together in peace and harmony and wish to establish a formal contract between themselves that is fine...but to suggest that they formalize the 'union' through the sacrament of holy matramony is sacreligous! Leviticus 20:13 pretty much summs up the view within 'holy writh' from crhistians/jews on the subject.
  • Options
    Diesel has a point, although I have no problem with it, I'm not so sure the priests/ministers etc. who are taught by the bible that homosexuality is wrong will feel the same.
  • Options
    ah, i was wondering when Diesel would pop his head up over the parapet.

Fistly, neither i nor my partner are "gender challenged", we are both happily male. I probably know more about people being truly of the wrong gender than you, and know that i am not in that category.

marriage is an archaic institution, i would prefer social contract or some such - i don't want to shock the god botherers and hasten their demise too quickly by asking for marriage....i don't want too many heart attacks on my conscience, i mean they had to accpet female priests, that's enough of a shock for the next 200 years i'm sure they think...

leviticus was a mad bugger - sell your daughter into slavery, kill your neighbour if he doesn't like you burning bullocks in your back yard, and never eat shellfish, ah but i forget, those are the ones that conveniently noone follows anymore....

marriage as an institution is fairly recent, it just used to take a couple agreeing to it anywhere, not in a church, but then that allowed too much freedom so that had to go...

all i want is for my partner and i to not be discriminated against because of something i have NO control over, ie the person i am in love with.
  • Options
    And you could add that god-botherers shouldn't care as long as same-sex couples don't get married in the church. At present civil ceremonies are also a no-no. I can't see why the god-botherers should have a say about those.