Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Best league in Europe?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
The premiership leaders Liverpool knocked out of the Chapions League by a Swiss team managed by Christian Gross?:eek2:

What a bunch of wasters, they deserve for being negative crap bastards who rely on defending and when that gets leaky don't know how to win a game, how are they top of our league?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    It wasn't just because of Basel that Liverpool didn't go through. They had underperformed throughout the stage and been outclassed by Valencia twice. Basically Liverpool was the third best team in its group.

I don't know the best way of telling which League is the best in Europe. If you judge it by looking at how well English clubs do in Europe, then the Premier League is certainly not the best.
  • Options
    Depends on what you look for in a league. If you want excitement in your matches then England's pacey game is best. If you want skill then I'd go to Spain, if you want tactics then Italy...

Question I have about last night's game is why does Owen take penalties. He's shit at them...
  • Options
    Bit harsh, he knows where to put the ball, just unlucky I think, he still scores quite a few........
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Bit harsh, he knows where to put the ball, just unlucky I think, he still scores quite a few........

Interestingly he misses more than anyother "top" striker in the country. Van Nistlerooy has the best record, Henry closely behind - neither of them miss very often (if at all in Ruud's case).

Owen on the other hand has missed nearly half of the penalties he has taken, which for a man of his finishing abaility is piss poor.

I'm not sure what other options Liverpool have, but I would have thought someone like Murphy was capable of taking them. When you look at last night, it was a crucial moment. Fortunately he got the rebound but misses like that cost games...

Of course, with my United hat on I have to laugh my ass off...
  • Options
    Has to be the spanish league IMO, its much stronger.
  • Options
    But how can you tell?

Going on European performances then last season seems to show that the German league is stringer than the English and last night seems to indicate that the Swiss league is stronger than ours!:eek:
  • Options
    But how can you tell?

Going on European performances then last season seems to show that the German league is stringer than the English and last night seems to indicate that the Swiss league is stronger than ours!:eek:

So if Liverpool managed to scrape a winner, it would have made the English league better than the Swiss ??

Liverpool finally got caught out, but just because of their arrogance doesn't make the English league inferior.
  • Options
    It's a mixture of factors. I think right now the Spanish League is probably the best, or at least the strongest. However, regardless of European success, this could have not been the case 6 or 7 seasons ago when it was a perennial two-horse race between Madrid and Barcelona. Now it's much more open and other teams have won it, which makes it a more attractive and entertaining league.

This is one of the strongest points in favour of the English League. It has always been a very open and entertaining competition. I don't know how many teams have won the league since it was founded. It must be 25 or 30? By contrast only 9 teams (I believe) have ever won the Spanish League.
  • Options
    Primera Liga looks exciting this season, there are about 7 teams in for the title by the looks of it, and not just the big guns........
  • Options
    But how can you tell?

You can't go entirely on how teams do in europe, look at other factors, where the big stars choose to play etc.. The only realk thing you can do is look at the quality of the teams in the respective leagues and I think the Spanish teams are much better than the english teams.
  • Options
    I would have said the italian league but im only a girl ;)
  • Options
    4 mains leagues: English, Italian, Spainish and German.

German is from Germany. They have 2 or 3 that crop in the Champions League (Dortmund and Bayern) give Utd a good game but ultimately don't get anywhere. There don't really seem to be that many big players in the German league. 4th of the Big 4 and mostly wouldn't even be considered a big league with Holland, Portugal, France etc closing in.

Italian league has had it's day. Through the 90s it was the best league in the world. Teams like Lazio, two Milans, Juve, Fiorentia, Sampdoria. Always did well in Europe and had no problem attracting the big names. Italian support for the football is as fanatical as it ever has been. Ultimately though it's had it's day and money problems have destroyed it (see Fiorentina demise). 3rd.

Leaving England and Spain.

England had a quiet time but now the teams (esp Utd) have started to do very well in Europe again. 3 out of four teams entered into the second stage (and Liverpool are piss poor anyway :p). Big names come to play here for the best teams. Our national team does fairly well and they all play in England. Money problems only really exist in the lower leagues. Maybe I'm imagining it but Premiership football is the best to watch.

Spainish league could be destined to follow the Italian if you ask me. I've been to Barca's Nou Camp and it is absolutely hewuge. I don't think anything could match it here but I live in hope. The money in the league is amazing with players reportedly earning a lot than Premiership players. Barcelona, Real Madrid and Deportivo usually in Champions League every season. It is a very competitive league but isn't as physical as the Premiership. A lot of players seem to have moved from Italy to Spain in the last few seasons.

Ultimately all 3 of the top 3 have potential or current money problems...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ego
    4 mains leagues: English, Italian, Spainish and German.

You missed out the Scottish League. Falling crowds, entire domination by the Old Firm (except on Saturday ;) ), no -one has any money.....

Seriously though, the Spanish league is best.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ego
    German is from Germany.

:lol: Must be shit then! :lol: