Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Double standards.

It seems to me that whatever you choice of drug (stimulants, depresives, trips etc) its really easy to think;
"well what I'm doings ok but thats really bad/harmful/antisocial"

I'll give you an example, when I was a bit of a speed freak, I'd wake up, lean over and get my speed out for the first line of the day before getting out of bed. Now I didnt really see that as anything that was bad or abnormal in anyway, but if I knew someone who when they woke up they leaned over for a drink before getting out of bed. I'd think that was real fuck up behaviour.

Well, what are your thoughts?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    SO YOU THINK WAKING UP AND GETTING A DRINK FIRST THING IN THE MORNING IS THE SAME OR WORSE THAN DRUGS?

that's kind of a self defeatinG ARGUMENT ISN'T IT?
  • Options
    I agree with you, what ever you are doing seems to be the norm but you do look down on others that have other vices.

Its easy to make you head comfortable with what you are doing or make it the norm in your life.

My mum used to critise me for having a bong or a spliff before I went to work in the morning, she used to compare it to having a drink.

Yeah so there are alot of double standards, each to their own !!

:D

*is not sure that any of this makes sense or has a small dolphin*

*damn those spliffs before work*:mad:
  • Options
    Have to agree, getting out of bed and having a spliff is now second nature to me but getting out of bed and getting straight on the piss dosent appeal to me at all, although it has been known on ocassion.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Worst thing was when my sister started to go out with my mates and began doing pills at 16. Being her older brother this did my head in but saying anything to her would be hypocritical. Thing is, I do beleive they're relatively safe, but the thought of my sister doing them did my head in.

Thankfully she hasn't done them for a couple of years now so it's not a problem.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    Worst thing was when my sister started to go out with my mates and began doing pills at 16. Being her older brother this did my head in but saying anything to her would be hypocritical. Thing is, I do beleive they're relatively safe, but the thought of my sister doing them did my head in.

Same with my girlfriend.

She wanted to try pills to 'see what all the fuss is about'.

Even though I'd been doing them for about a year before that, and same as you, thought of them as relatively safe, I still didn't want her doing them.
  • Options
    but think about what you are saying..do you want alcohol banned? do youo want similar legal restrictions on drinking that you have on drugs? Probably not.
    You can't seriously use this argument to justify drugs..
    Fine if you are going to say..Let drugs be treated the same as alcohol ...but if you follow it up with ... alcohol is so bad, it's damaging, it ruins your health or even..why isn't alcohol banned?
    Then you are losing the argument..it's silly
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny

I don't think bongbudda's using this as an arguement for or against drugs, but merely to highlight the double standards people have regarding different substances and habits, and to see if anyone else feels the same.

Oh, and in response to the original question, I suppose if you stretch it, the same could be said for caffine - how many people get up in the morning and have a cup of coffee?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo

Same with my girlfriend.

She wanted to try pills to 'see what all the fuss is about'.

Even though I'd been doing them for about a year before that, and same as you, thought of them as relatively safe, I still didn't want her doing them.

My boyfriend was exactly the same as you guys about the pill thing. He had been doing them since he was 16 and use to be a right canner. When he found out that I went out 1 night and did them he went mad. But he can't criticise as he use to do them 3 years ago. I'm really into them at the mo, and he occassionally has a few (not often though), so he is such a hypocrite and it does my head in.
  • Options
    There is a difference tho, from being hypocritical because of your intake and believing one substance to be worse than the other, and being hypocritical because you care about them and dont want them to take the same road as you did.

:crazyeyes
  • Options
    ?G?i]Originally posted by byny [/i]
    but think about what you are saying..do you want alcohol banned? do youo want similar legal restrictions on drinking that you have on drugs? Probably not.
    Fine if you are going to say..Let drugs be treated the same as alcohol ...but if you follow it up with ... alcohol is so bad, it's damaging, it ruins your health or even..why isn't alcohol banned?
    Then you are losing the argument..it's silly
    [/QUOTE]

We don't think alcohol should be illegal, however I do like to point out the hypocrisy of some drinkers who believe drugs like cannabis and ecstasy are evil! Surely you can understand that!

Byny, everytime you post in this forum you say thing same thing as above. You've been around for a while (not saying your old ;) but you know what I mean) and I'm still not completley sure of your beliefs on drugs. Why not start a thread!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    My beliefs on drugs are...

If we took away the taboo about drugs and de-criminalised them then people would have a more mature attitude to taking them...
    ie - people wouldn't be taking them just to be cool or to rebel.

Plus hopefully there would be more support for those who are suffering addiction, or those who need to feed their habit safely.

I know I do bang on about the old drink/drugs argument but it does get brought up an awful lot and not one person who has started a thread has ever explained what they mean.

I just think that if you want to take drugs then do - but understand that they are illegal (As in Anything from Canabis to Heroin) and if you take them you are breaking the law. While you may not think its fair you are never going to change the law by using the argument that 'cigarettes and alcohol are legal' because it sounds like a childish winge and there seriously is no logic to it.

Better to argue the benefits of de-criminalisation instead - no?
  • Options
    See...does no-one have any more to add...this happens everytime I express this opinion and not one soul seems to want to discuss it...that is why I keep repeating myself!
  • Options
    See...does no-one have any more to add...this happens everytime I express this opinion and not one soul seems to want to discuss it...that is why I keep repeating myself!

I will!! ;)

Double standards - that's what we have in this country.

All these people that drink are risking heart disease, liver faliure and now breast cancer! On top of this the majority of violent crimes are down to alcohol, then there's underage drinking and the amount of deaths casued by drinking and driving ...etc!

Yet you still get people telling us that popping the odd pill is bad. Alcohol should be seen in the same way as all other drugs, but for some reason people see it in a different light, why? :confused: I just think people need to take a fresh look on the situation and make up their own minds about drugs, instead of believing every word they read in the Mail! :mad:

I'm not arguing that becasue one is dangerous and legal, the other should be legal too, I'm merely pointing out how narrowminded and hypocrital they're being. It pisses me off.

They're alowed to consume their drug of choice while, I risk my freedom for doing something which is almost undoubtably less damaging.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Fair enough - but what you are risking by using that argument is someone turning round one day and saying..OK tell you what...lets ban them all..no more drinking, no more Coffee, no more fags...

May not happen - but they'd have every right to!
  • Options
    I am sometimes guilty of saying what you have been talking about byny, the reason is often fustration more than a rational sensible argument. As far as I'm concerned alcohol is far far worse than ecstasy on almost every level, physcially, mentally and socially. Now why is it some drunken individual can quite legally go into town on a friday and get slaughtered, yet I can't go into town and have a pill without fear of arrest and the following consequences ?

In my opinion this country would be far better place if alcohol were the banned substance and ecstasy the legal substance. I know thats never going to happen, it could never be implemented, but then I find myself thinking, well if drinkers can legaly go out and have a drink, why can't I go out and legaly have a pill :confused: thats where the comparisons stem from.
    ie - people wouldn't be taking them just to be cool or to rebel.

Thats a bizarre statment, I'd expect that from a drugs education officer, I've heard it time and time again, everybody seems to miss the real reason, their fun and a wonderful experience !

Byny, can I ask you, why do you think alcohol is legal and ecstasy not ?
  • Options
    Fair enough - but what you are risking by using that argument is someone turning round one day and saying..OK tell you what...lets ban them all..no more drinking, no more Coffee, no more fags...

May not happen - but they'd have every right to!

I agree, but it's not going to happen because the people wouldn't satnd for it. That's my point.

Most people havn't formed their own opinions, and have instead let their beliefs be influenced by the papers and government bullshit. The government are quite happy to keep people thinking alcohol is safer adn drugs are bad because it brings in the money. Taxing a drug that you can grow in your garden (weed) would be pretty useless!

It just seems to me that we arn't being treated fairly and we risk our freedom every day, for doing something that really isn't any bigger a deal than having a pint. It stinks!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    i've always had double standards. one was just never enough.
  • Options
    I wasnt trying to say that one drug is better or less harmful than any other one, I was just, well thinking aloud about the way that a lot of people see their drug use, including me.

I know quite a few people who are very elitist for example, especialy when it comes to the rarer drugs, kind of
    "well its alright for us because we know what we're doing"

As to the other issue raised in this topic, I really dont think we're ready for a serious relaxing of the drug laws. If for example you did make drugs like coke legal then I dont think people would be reponsible with it.
    I think we need to embark on a massive amount of education before we consider drastic options. I just dont trust the public enough.
  • Options
    A bit like that car advert about the bikes, cars, lorries and tractor all looking down at each other.

The alkies look down on the pill head. The pill head look down on the coke freak, the coke freak looks down on crack lover, and everyone looks down on the smack head. But aren't we all just trying to get out of it :D:D:D
  • Options
    A bit like that car advert about the bikes, cars, lorries and tractor all looking down at each other.

The alkies look down on the pill head. The pill head look down on the coke freak, the coke freak looks down on crack lover, and everyone looks down on the smack head. But aren't we all just trying to get out of it :D:D:D