Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I hate Christmas......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I hate Christmas,for numerous reasons:

- Why is 'spending time with family' important? I see at least ONE member of my family practically EVERYDAY!!!! I don't especially need to see them at that time.

- Giving schmiving. The whole notion of 'giving' at Christmas is just an attempt to misinform children. I'm glad I've seen that I was misguided when I was younger.

- Seeing that society is secular, why should a Christian festival MATTER!!

- Overeating at Christmas is folly. Shit, I can eat turkey ANY TIME OF THE MOTHERFUCKING YEAR!!! Why is eating it on December 25th of any consequence?

Comments

• Options
    Christmas is a time for remembering what we have in the world. being grateful for that. Spending time with those we don't see often, giving to others to show we care and actually trying to improve the world for others less fortunate than ourselves.

Yes there is a lot of hype of Xmas these days which annoys me no end, and it is ruining the whole concept of Christmas, but hey hum thats life and as we live in a world which is out to make money, times like Christmas will be made as commercial as possible.

you ask why is spending time with family so important??? For god's sake if everyone had that oppinion the world wouldn't have any families that stayed together as a happy union. Family should be the most important thing to you. They are the people who will always be there for you and look after you when things go wrong. But that will fall away if you don't spend time with them. They won't be as close and supportive. But hey it's your life....just don't come running to us when everything goes wrong and you have no one there for you.
  • Options
    Will be spending Christmas alone for a second year in a row. :(
  • Options
    Yes, family is important. Nonetheless, why is Christmas especially significant in terms of spending time with family?
    Christmas is a time for remembering what we have in the world. being grateful for that. Spending time with those we don't see often, giving to others to show we care and actually trying to improve the world for others less fortunate than ourselves.

Pfft. That's just misguided poppycock fed to schoolchildren. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by boomba
    Yes, family is important. Nonetheless, why is Christmas especially significant in terms of spending time with family?

It isn't significantly, just that as we get a holiday it allows us to spend more time together. Plus the giving means people have to meet and see each other. Even if it's just once a year, for more distant relatives its better than never.

I'm not even go into the religious reasons with you because it isn't worth the shit I'll get afterwards.
    Pfft. That's just misguided poppycock fed to schoolchildren. :)

So I'm just a misguided school child am I??? hmm....back to the old insults then I see. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kazbo

So I'm just a misguided school child am I??? hmm....back to the old insults then I see. :rolleyes:

No, I don't know you so I cannot comment. :) I believe that the shit taught in schools is bollocks. End of story.
  • Options
    I have no problem with people celebrating Christmas for religious purposes, but all too often Christmas is hijacked and exploited for commercial gain.
    There is far too much emphasis on presents and 'spashing out', with pressure being put on families to celebrate Christmas in a way they cannot afford to, getting themselves into a lot of debt whilst 'celebrating' something the vast majority of them don't believe in (my family is unfortunately one of them).
    I am not Christian, or religious in any way, but I do believe in Jesus, not in the sense that he was the son of God, but that he was a great man who did a lot of good things. That would be my basis for any Christmas celebration.
    The commercial Xmas is ruining the nature and, dare I say it, 'spirit' of Christmas, and this is a shame. That is the reason I have plans this year to go to York and abstain from the 'festivities' this year.
  • Options
    Still preaching peace and goodwill the onenatcons.

The "spirit" of Christmas is about thinking about other people, not being selfish. Hence I can understand why you don't like it.
  • Options
    Christmas is a national holiday even if the christian reasons for its origin (and its far deeper non-christian tradtion) have now been largely lost (thankfully) it is still a special time of year, any break from the norm and an excuse to have fun is good surely?

Rather have every day the same onenats?
  • Options
    for the few christians out there that still celebrate christmas for its religious reasons, then it is still a reason. but for nearly everybody else it is just an excuse to do things not done on a normal day (eat much, give and get gifts)

the thing i have never understood, is why christmas? why wasn't another holiday around the december time over exegerated by the card companies? there are un-religious people who celebrate christmas so freely so why aren't these same people celebrating something say... haunuka(sp?) or something just as joyously?
  • Options
    If it ain't broke................
  • Options
    Re: I hate Christmas......
    Originally posted by boomba
    I hate Christmas,for numerous reasons:

- Why is 'spending time with family' important? I see at least ONE member of my family practically EVERYDAY!!!! I don't especially need to see them at that time.

- Giving schmiving. The whole notion of 'giving' at Christmas is just an attempt to misinform children. I'm glad I've seen that I was misguided when I was younger.

- Seeing that society is secular, why should a Christian festival MATTER!!

- Overeating at Christmas is folly. Shit, I can eat turkey ANY TIME OF THE MOTHERFUCKING YEAR!!! Why is eating it on December 25th of any consequence?

Well I like it because I don't spend enough time with my family

We don't give expensive gifts..it is rediculous how much people spend on their kids.

Some people celebrate yule, some like to celebrate the pagan aspect, for others it's just fun.

We never have turkey...Some traditions I can do without..

Perhaps its just YOUR kind of Christmas you don't like!!
  • Options
    Yes I get to see my parents and btothers every day, but the rest of my extended family live in England and I only get to see them during holidays, particularly at Christmas. As a christian I do believe in the whole nativity thing (even if my brothers don't) and I enjoy all the traditional festivities and the sense of occasion. The presents, the roast, the Queen's speech, the family walk around the village, its something to look forward to.
  • Options
    Because in these dark days of reality and realism, the growing realisation that there probably isn't anything after this world, and well the world we've got isn't fantastic, Christmas still reatains a magic that allows us to escape from it, even just for a couple of days. I'm nearly 19, but I still can't sleep on Christmas Eve, (though these days I've become some what of an insomniac, so this is a regular occurence!). When Wizard song I wish it could be Christmas every day, he was speaking for world peace, because if it was Christmas everyday then everyone would be so excited in the morning, so fed up by 12 and so full by 7, that no one would fight ever again. Except when my dad cheats at monopoly, and then tears up the board, un able to hide his guilt.
  • Options
    Christmas has now been hijacked by advertising, and isn't as much of a religous festival anymore. I dislike all religion, but I still celebrate christmas, well, I like getting new stuff. But I ignore the religous side of it altogether if I can, and it's only one day, and everythings all sparkly and nice.:D Hmm, I need money for pressies...