Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Celtic v Blackburn

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Not quite the Battle of Britain, but it should be a cracking game nonetheless....

I personally reckon Celtic will edge it tonight, but Blackburn just going through over the two legs. I hope I'm wrong, I really don't like Souness and it's always nice to see Scottish teams doing well.

Any thoughts ??
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Jammy Scots :p
  • Options
    Celtic never deserved to win. Blackbrun had the better of the game and deserved at least a draw.

Too be honest though I wasn't that impressed by Celtic...
  • Options
    Battle of Britain my arse.

The English Winners of the Worthless Cup against the Scottish Champions. Hardly an equal starting point.

Yet Blackburn dominated, falling only to a late sucker punch from One-Man-Team Celtic, without Larsson you really wonder what they would be like.

This games really makes you wonder just how well either Rangers or Celtic would do in the Premiership. I really don't think that they would have the impact that they believe they would...
  • Options
    Yeah, I reckon Blackburn will win 3-1 second leg.

As far as the Old Firm in the Premiership go, I'm really undecided. The fact is that the SPL is a fucking joke at the moment. Every week the Old Firm are humping team after team, and it's boring as hell. They can't even fill away grounds now.

But I don't see why the English should take them, just because the SPL is shit. I generally despise the Old Firm (domestically at least) and all the bigotry that goes with them and couldn't care if they join the Timbucktoo league.

Maybe because they're basically religious organisations who happen to play football they should be disbanded :D
  • Options
    You aberdeen folk don't like the old firm do you, I always remember been unfortunate enoght to end up on a GNER train full of a group of hooligans goiing by the name of the Aberdeen casuals, all they sang was 'we all agree the ibrox disaster was magic' :eek:
  • Options
    Originally posted by atomic brian
    Every week the Old Firm are humping team after team

I know they do things differently up there, but really...

*is shocked*

I guess it slows the opposition down somewhat.
  • Options
    Bri, your avatar's bloddy amazin!!! How'd you get it?
  • Options
    Come on Rovers, lets do them in the 2nd leg at Ewood! :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ego

Too be honest though I wasn't that impressed by Celtic...
    I don't think very many people were. I've certainly seen better performances.

One thing my boyfriend pointed out (long time Celtic fan) was the remarkably quiet fans. He reckons it was because Souness was saying in the papers that he wanted lots of abuse from the crowd, so what did he get? Not what he wanted.

Still reckon they'll go through though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    I guess it slows the opposition down somewhat.

and it certanly explains Sunday's scoreline Brian...or shouldn't I be mentioning that...
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb
    You aberdeen folk don't like the old firm do you, I always remember been unfortunate enoght to end up on a GNER train full of a group of hooligans goiing by the name of the Aberdeen casuals, all they sang was 'we all agree the ibrox disaster was magic' :eek:

We seem to have a hardcore that go OTT. The same type of casuals caused trouble at the last Aberdeen Rangers game at Pittodrie.

To be honest theres been a lot of bad blood between Aberdeen and Rangers in the last few years, mainly because their fans cause so much trouble in Aberdeen city centre after the games, and the fact that Barry Ferguson called our fans wankers in the newspapers.

The fact that they've taken to wearing England shirts and waving the Union Jack around doesn't exactly help either.
    Originally posted by Man of Kent
    and it certanly explains Sunday's scoreline Brian...or shouldn't I be mentioning that...

Possibly the most traumatic experience of my young life. Thank god for the university counselling service.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lorna
    He reckons it was because Souness was saying in the papers that he wanted lots of abuse from the crowd, so what did he get? Not what he wanted.

Nah, the crowd were quiet because their team was being outplayed and outclassed in every department! :)

Although I do expect Celtic to be much better at Ewood (could they be worse?)...and it'll be a very tough game - I think all Celtic need to do really is score but I'm quietly confident.

I know player-for-player we have a much better team and we proved that in the first leg!
  • Options
    Originally posted by AndyW

Nah, the crowd were quiet because their team was being outplayed and outclassed in every department! :)

You really don't know much about the Celtic support, do you? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo

You really don't know much about the Celtic support, do you? :rolleyes:

Nope - pretty much nothing.

But I do know a lot about football in general and crowds...and I know that if the away team completely outplays the home team (ala Rovers at Celtic) then it will silence them!
  • Options

The English Winners of the Worthless Cup against the Scottish Champions. Hardly an equal starting point.

Coming from a team that won nothing last season and aren't doing to well this one you really aren't in a position to insult the tournaments that you are taking part in.

I'd take it seriously if i were Ferguson, you might be luck and get into the UEFA cup.......... :p
  • Options

Nope - pretty much nothing.

But I do know a lot about football in general and crowds...and I know that if the away team completely outplays the home team (ala Rovers at Celtic) then it will silence them!

Indeed....they certainly weren't quiet before the match. Shame that the Celtic fans realised how bad their team were and so shut up in embarrasment. But they will be better at Ewood and we need to watch out.:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kazbo

Indeed....they certainly weren't quiet before the match. Shame that the Celtic fans realised how bad their team were and so shut up in embarrasment. But they will be better at Ewood and we need to watch out.:)

Yup - and I do expect them to score, making it really hard for us but I know we're more than good enough to get through so fingers crossed! ;)

I'll try and get us a couple of tix for this if you fancy it btw? :)
  • Options

I'll try and get us a couple of tix for this if you fancy it btw? :)

Yeah prob....will have to see....got rel's over I think so might be expected to stay in. But I do really want to go. :)
  • Options

Yeah prob....will have to see....got rel's over I think so might be expected to stay in. But I do really want to go. :)

Ok chuck, will talk to u tomorrow about it :)

It'll be top match but as I've previously said - I think we'll just be good for them (again!) :P
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Coming from a team that won nothing last season and aren't doing to well this one you really aren't in a position to insult the tournaments that you are taking part in.

I'd take it seriously if i were Ferguson, you might be luck and get into the UEFA cup.......... :p

:lol:

Accepted that we won nothing last year, but the "Worthless" title really does sum the comp up for the "bigger" clubs - do you honestly believe that Blackburn would have won it last year if Arsenal/United/Liverpool had wanted it?

The previous year, Houllier needed silverware and so gave it a go - what happenned?

and let's be honest the Scottish Championship is a complete joke.
  • Options

:lol:

Accepted that we won nothing last year, but the "Worthless" title really does sum the comp up for the "bigger" clubs - do you honestly believe that Blackburn would have won it last year if Arsenal/United/Liverpool had wanted it?

The previous year, Houllier needed silverware and so gave it a go - what happenned?

and let's be honest the Scottish Championship is a complete joke.

Yeah but the title isn't worthless, it gets teams into Europe and if bigger teams don't want to take that route then so be it. It's their loss.

Bigger teams only don't put the effort in cos they have too many matches to play. Rovers didn't always play a first team last season in the cup, but we put the effort in when it was needed and won. It was a top day in cardiff and one that the fans will never forget.
  • Options
    Yeah but the title isn't worthless, it gets teams into Europe and if bigger teams don't want to take that route then so be it. It's their loss.

I can understand why it is a worthwhile trophy for some of the "smaller" clubs, giving them a route into Europe, but the fact that the "major" clubs don't take it seriously is why makes it worthless. It's starting to turn into a kind of LDV Vans Trophy for the Premier League. If you get my drift.
  • Options
    I was thinking at the weekend about the slippery slope football is on, its depressing :( But it occured to me that it started to go pear about the time teams gave up on the league cup, its totally understandable, but its a great shame.

Still MoK looking at you current state of affairs I expect Fergie will be taking this one seriously, two seaons with no silver ware would never do :eek:
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

Still MoK looking at you current state of affairs I expect Fergie will be taking this one seriously, two seaons with no silver ware would never do :eek:

:yes:

Not like the good old days up at Aberdeen. Talk about a dodgy career move ;):p
  • Options
    Would you rather win nothing (as is obviously going to be the case this season and the next few for a long while) than win the league cup then?

How low do you have to come in the league before you start competing, when you start missing the champs league spots i.e this season?
  • Options

I can understand why it is a worthwhile trophy for some of the "smaller" clubs, giving them a route into Europe, but the fact that the "major" clubs don't take it seriously is why makes it worthless. It's starting to turn into a kind of LDV Vans Trophy for the Premier League. If you get my drift.

I understand what your saying, but then who's fault is it that the bigger teams don't put the effort in??? It;s their loss and as has been said...how long till you decide to put the effort in just to have a chance at some silverwear?
  • Options
    I understand what your saying, but then who's fault is it that the bigger teams don't put the effort in??? It;s their loss and as has been said...how long till you decide to put the effort in just to have a chance at some silverwear?

When we get to the state Liverpool were in (so soon then, judging by current form)...

I'm not begrudging anyone the trophy, but the shine comes off when you realise that a few teams couldn't give a shit whether they won it or not.

What do people think of LDV? For those clubs that compete, it is an important trophy, but in reality it has little true value.

People complained that when United missed the FA Cup one year that the tournament was devalued - yet in the League Cups case it is more than just United that don't "compete". But the argument here is that it is okay. That kind of makes my point for me.

No-one cares that United/Liverpool and Arsenal don't compete in this tournatment. Imagine if they treated the FA Cup the same...
  • Options

When we get to the state Liverpool were in (so soon then, judging by current form)...

I'm not begrudging anyone the trophy, but the shine comes off when you realise that a few teams couldn't give a shit whether they won it or not.

What do people think of LDV? For those clubs that compete, it is an important trophy, but in reality it has little true value.

People complained that when United missed the FA Cup one year that the tournament was devalued - yet in the League Cups case it is more than just United that don't "compete". But the argument here is that it is okay. That kind of makes my point for me.

No-one cares that United/Liverpool and Arsenal don't compete in this tournatment. Imagine if they treated the FA Cup the same...

Personally I do think that it's a shame that the bigger teams don't compete, it is a trophy thats part of the sport and should therfore be played and competed for. the bigger teams aren't being sporting about the cup and yes, I would much rather us be the champions and have had some decent opposition to compete against.

:eek: if they treated the FA cup like that the wholecountry would kick off about it, but given time with the way it's going I'm sure they will. United have tried it once, will only take a few more of the big teams and the same thing wil have to the FA cup as has to the league cup. Will you all start saying that is worthless then?
  • Options
    Yep, if the bigger teams don't compete then the value of winning the tropghy diminishes. Look at the First Division...Liverpool won it countless times - Man City won it recently...both can claim this as a First Division win, but was it to the same level?

WHat started this was the claim that the Celtic/Blackburn match was the "battle of britain", what I am suggesting is that it is nothing of the sort - just a game between a mid-table english teams against the champions of scotland.

What is funniest is that Blackburn outclassed the jocks...
  • Options
    Yep, if the bigger teams don't compete then the value of winning the tropghy diminishes. Look at the First Division...Liverpool won it countless times - Man City won it recently...both can claim this as a First Division win, but was it to the same level?

WHat started this was the claim that the Celtic/Blackburn match was the "battle of britain", what I am suggesting is that it is nothing of the sort - just a game between a mid-table english teams against the champions of scotland.

What is funniest is that Blackburn outclassed the jocks...

Thats cos Blackburn are a quality side....:D And we are a bit better than mi-table as well thanx.:p