Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Smear Test Question from a bloke?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Girls help me out here -

I was under the impression that these Smear Tests you all have are used to find any bad cells you have, check for cancer, and to check for basic Vaginal Infections.

Do they also automatically check for ANY STI that you might be carrying including the likes of chlamydia and lice? Or do you have to have specifically asked for that?

Thankye

Comments

• Options
    Anytime I've had a smear, the doctor has taken a swab to check for chlamydia at the same time because you can have that and not know about it. I dont know about being tested for any other sti's though, I think you might need to ask to be tested for them.
  • Options
    Are you thinking of having them done Mr Cum?
  • Options
    No they don't:mad: Normally they only check for abnormalities that lead to cervical cancer. And it only costs them a pittance more to do a complete comprehensive check up :mad:
    If someone you know wants a thourough check, I'd personally advise them to go to a GUM clinic as they're completely confidential.
  • Options
    A smear is ONLY to check for cervical cancer or changes in the cells that indicate that they may become cancerous.

Swabs are taken to test for STIs. You can have it done at the same time if you ask. A swab is scraped from the cervix (sorry, you did ask) and swabs are waved around in the general area! Other STIs are checked through blood tests, e.g. syphillis