Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Cheesy dance pish!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
This is more a rant than anything else, but it would be appreciated if people put there input(and agreed)into the matter.

Right, I am sick and tired of the amount of mainstream, am a teenager with no taste and should therefore be banned from buying music, trance music that is being produced by complete and utter tosspots!!

The list should be well known to everyone,Iain Van Dal(sp?) Lasgo, scooter, Milk inc, n-trance and the list goes on and on and on. Even Paul Oakenfold is falling for the money aspect and forgetting about the music.

The good name of Trance has been abused by the corporate music promoters wanting to make a fast buck. I remeber the day when Ferry Corsten was known as the "trance master". I bet you he cringes at the thought now with the amount of mature cheddar that is on the go. Why is Sasha, Matt Darey, Push and the likes not being blasted all over the TV with adverts. To me that is what good trance is. This year I have only found one CD that has been a some what tribute to what trance really is.(Future Trance 2002)

Ministry Of Sound albums used to be really good as well, when Pete Tong, Judge Jules, Boy George, Paul Van Dyke mixed them. Nowadays when I read the back of a MoS album I think "what utter pish". I havent bought a music album in ages due to the fact that subliminal sessions only release everynow and again and that the rest is just awful.

Today everyone associates trance with these shite DJs and bands when really the good stuff is being missed. Trance is uplifting, it should send vibes up your spine and make you appreciated you and things around you. I feel its a shame that everyone is just interested in money and bypass the quality of the music.

:(

Does anyone agree?? If not with trance music then with other music in that people are only in it for the money?????
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Totally agree with you mate, the Ministry CDs are utter pish these days. You are right about Cream - Future Trance...CD1 is great. Gatecrasher - Digital Trance is good too. Get Sasha's Airdrawndagger album for some chilled out trance.
    Just finished listenin to Ministry of Sound clubbers guide to ibiza 2000 there now. mixed by jules. absolute quality through and through. Storm, Matt Darey, Jam X, Moogwai & personal favourite Megamind - Taub, a bit of a technoish tune. Now u look at the MoS compilations, such a pile of shite! its really disappointing actually because in their hayday noone could touch MoS, now its gone shite. I presume gatecrasher & godkitchen compilations will fill the void for the time being. Frantic is a close contender.
    I never liked the MoS stuff, but then it's always been too mainstream for me. I stick to the global underground stuff.
    I know exactly how you feel... I'm into trance and when I tell people that they must think I'm into all that shit, definitly gives it a bad name. I mean how easy must it be to produce the stuff they make? All it is is a really simple synth riff and chord pattern, and some cheesy lyric by anyone with the tiniest bit of singing ability
    Originally posted by addicted7
    I presume gatecrasher & godkitchen compilations will fill the void for the time being. Frantic is a close contender.

yeah gc and gk cds are generally quite good,
    the gk summer trance cd was top, apart from cd2 which was a bit cheesy, it had 'deedee - forever' on it:mad: the other 2 cds are good tho and not at all mainstream
    I agree with you 100% wuckFit. There's quite a good letter that someone sent into Mixmag about Trance and it's so true have a read.

Trance is just chesse on toast crap. These so called "Trance" producers ain't the reall thing their just following a trend and a trend of wich will slowly fade. I hear on the radio and see flyers that say "Underground Trance Night" which pull in the punter's but as soon as the the DJ starts playing this so called Trance it's just a 150BPM version on Flip 'n Fill or who ever. I can't be arsed to go on.
    Totally agree. Frantic's not doing too bad at the moment as someone said, but I've been sticking to Nukleuz recently, for some harder trance.

addicted7: Ministry's stuff before 2000 was even better.
    Trance has gone a long way, I still prefer all the old Josh Wink, Energy 52, Goryella and System F stuff back in the 1996-99 day and even then we all said the same thing "its gone too widespread"..

I'm a hardcore raver, those are my roots, when hard house started bursting onto the scene it was great a new sound we'd been hearing tearing up the dancefloors from Trade to Sundissential, then the commercial bods got hold of it and put it on overkill, for anyone who used to go to Vibealite, Raindance etc. how many of those sounds, sounds and samples do you recognise from our day when we were considered 'too cheesy' blown to the crowd. The Stimulant DJs (also known as Brisk and Ham, producers of Bang!) signed to Tidy Trax, Vinylgroover playing out hard house.. its the same boys, different scene!

So what now? Trance has gone 'underground' well to be more accurate, trance has just gone between euphoric and hard house, the 'acidic' sound has returned once again and this time round we've opted for the name of Hard NRG (or Hard Dance as many prefer to coin) and yes I'm a fan, but the strangest part about all this is that I've heard this sound before back in 1998 pioneered by DJs such as Sharkey, Energy and Mark EG but we're not going to give the 'freeform'/'trancecore' DJs any credit are we?

Accept the fact that the music industry always churns over and over, it will always make a fast buck wherever it can, music styles will keep reinventing themselves and much of what you hear as 'underground' has either been done before or about to become the 'next big thing' for a few years before it becomes 'too commercial'
    Definatly agree, way too much cheese going about. I was listening to radio one the other night, "the nations favourite".

The Two main contenders were

DJ Sammy - Heaven
    Madonna - Die another day
    and DJ sammy won it !! :confused: its complete sh**e

There are however some top tunes going about at the moment though

Shiny Disco Balls
    BK - Revolution
    Sushi - Earthshaker

and yes the MoS compilations are getting worse and worse :(
    Trance has been cheesy shite ever since Gatecrasher et al sucked the soul out of it in 1998ish.
    Listen to the stuff from 92 - 97ish, loads better (all in IMO natch)
    JustinCredible; Its good to hear someone else comment on how good sharkey is, I caught a set of his with energy a while back and its way and above better than any 'trance' that you get at 'mainstream' clubs.

Also, I like the way that you say 'back in the day' with Raindance, they're still going, not quite as good as they used to be because they're at bagleys and not 'The Drome' but none the less still there.
    To my mind, if you want good hardcore/trancecore/whatever you want to call it Future Dance is a fantastic promoter. I've been to quite a few of their events and they are always really quality.
    The problem is since all my mates settled down and got really old I cant go to as many proper raves as I used to. That and my wife doesnt like hardcore.
    Have to agree to much shit floating about the music scene.

Down with the like of s club and 911 and all that other bollocks
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    JustinCredible; Its good to hear someone else comment on how good sharkey is, I caught a set of his with energy a while back and its way and above better than any 'trance' that you get at 'mainstream' clubs.

Sharkey's freeform sets are always bangin... though in my opinion the place where he really was head and shoulders above the rest was on the mic!!!

The problem is since all my mates settled down and got really old I cant go to as many proper raves as I used to. That and my wife doesnt like hardcore.

HTID - Hardcore till I die ;)

I think everyone's fave era of hardcore i when they first got into it. Saying that I like the new stuff being played at places like Slammin, more than I like the cheesy tunes of 98.

You have to go back all the way to 95 and 96 for the best in most dance music genres in my opinion.

PS Slammin NYE looks fucking wicked!
    Weekender Offender 
    Re: Cheesy dance pish!!
    Originally posted by wuckFit
    This is more a rant than anything else, but it would be appreciated if people put there input(and agreed)into the matter.

Right, I am sick and tired of the amount of mainstream, am a teenager with no taste and should therefore be banned from buying music, trance music that is being produced by complete and utter tosspots!!

The list should be well known to everyone,Iain Van Dal(sp?) Lasgo, scooter, Milk inc, n-trance and the list goes on and on and on. Even Paul Oakenfold is falling for the money aspect and forgetting about the music.

The good name of Trance has been abused by the corporate music promoters wanting to make a fast buck. I remeber the day when Ferry Corsten was known as the "trance master". I bet you he cringes at the thought now with the amount of mature cheddar that is on the go. Why is Sasha, Matt Darey, Push and the likes not being blasted all over the TV with adverts. To me that is what good trance is. This year I have only found one CD that has been a some what tribute to what trance really is.(Future Trance 2002)

Ministry Of Sound albums used to be really good as well, when Pete Tong, Judge Jules, Boy George, Paul Van Dyke mixed them. Nowadays when I read the back of a MoS album I think "what utter pish". I havent bought a music album in ages due to the fact that subliminal sessions only release everynow and again and that the rest is just awful.

Today everyone associates trance with these shite DJs and bands when really the good stuff is being missed. Trance is uplifting, it should send vibes up your spine and make you appreciated you and things around you. I feel its a shame that everyone is just interested in money and bypass the quality of the music.

:(

Does anyone agree?? If not with trance music then with other music in that people are only in it for the money?????

100% whole heartedley (sp??) agree with you. When i was growing up, first started going clubbing and all that I did like trance music, and hard house but like you say it is far too mainstream/commercial nowadays. Trance tracks out at the mo have a scary resemblance to bloody steps

I hate big commercial clubs too, Gatecrasher for eample...what a load of trosh. I love little underground funky clubs far more atmosphere, and less ego!!!

All the old skool is still fantastic though!!!
    Originally posted by Skive
    Sharkey's freeform sets are always bangin... though in my opinion the place where he really was head and shoulders above the rest was on the mic!!!

They were, I still have his Hard life EP, 'Distant Dreams' remains one of my favourite tracks to this day. Although me and him have something of a history.. ahem! Although that was many years ago ;)

I've especially been getting very into Dave Randell, Andy Farley, Phil Reynolds and Paul Glazby (well I would say that cause I'm his official preparty, I'm meeting with him next week, might get a record signed.. lol)... we have a local DJ this side of the water named 'Haze' who is tearing up the dancefloors, the Zebedee rooms at our large tour events such as Gatecrasher/Godskitchen hold more of a crowd than the main rooms with DJs such as Judge Jules, thats one thing that I admire over here... :)

Would love to be able to go to a SV or Raindance party at NYE again.. are you meeting up with the USH crew.. ie. Paul, Peter and Kevin? If you ever see them tell them I say hi... its been so long!
    Have you dated Sharkey then, because I remember being introduced to his boyfriend one time when I was out at a Future Dance night. Keep it under your hat though everyone, not that many people know.
    I got introduced because his boyfriend at the time was a mate of my dealers, well thats my claim to fame everyone!

As for Sharkey on the mic, fucking hell he's good, I remember the first Future Dance I went to he was doing drugs for the first time in two years, a fact that he admited accross the mic, he then went on to get completely trashed, quite funny, he was wasted but could still mix and MC perfectly.
    That would of been another guy called Chris, he'd been going out with him on/off for ages...

I went out with him for a few months after I was introduced to him at Slammin Vinyl, got in trouble at one point for dancing on stage and making one of his records jump at a Compulsion event before we headed off to Manchesters gay scene...

It was only short lived but quite a laugh.. he asked me to move in with him in Leicestershire but I was too young really, he was a good 7 years my senior at that point... and I had joined the army, I can remember the nickname 'Private Parts', the USH.NET crew knew all about it, lol... thats why I was a bit 'uhh-ohh' when I first heard about Skive being on those boards, I'm quite chilled now tho ;)
    I cant remember the bloke who I got introduced to's name, I just remember being a bit surprised and him being preaty short and quite twisted.
    Originally posted by Justin Credible
    Would love to be able to go to a SV or Raindance party at NYE again.. are you meeting up with the USH crew.. ie. Paul, Peter and Kevin? If you ever see them tell them I say hi... its been so long!

I don't really post on USH anymore, infact I only posted regulary for about a year. In that time I only went to 2 of the meetups - at Adrenalin and at an SV. I havn't been to many big events recently, though Fusions back and it has to be done.

I still read a lot on USH though cos I'm still into the scene and am probly going to SV on NYE. They've got three wharehouses - the Sanctuary, the Rollers (used for the first time in over a year) and the excellent Fastrack. It will no doubt be a top quality night.
    Weekender Offender 
    Where are fusion going to be doing their events, I've heard very good things about their nights at, oh shit whats it called, the place in aldershot.
    Where are fusion going to be doing their events, I've heard very good things about their nights at, oh shit whats it called, the place in aldershot.

There's been one event since they decided to start up again and it's being held in Cardiff I think though can't be sure or bothered to check on USH at the mo. I'll post later with the location and venue.

The Rhythm Station is where the old Fusion's used to be held. I only went there once when I was either 15 or 16, and had trouble getting in. It was worth it in the end, even if I did get in a hour or so late.

Was a hot and sweaty venue, similar to the G-Spot in Blandford but both were quality venues. Druid and Sharkey were always at the Rhythm Station ...I've still got a few tapeps from those events left.
    Weekender Offender 
    Thats the place I ment, I've got a couple of top Druid sets from there too.
    Normally trance is cheesy, progressive trance that DJs like Dave Seaman and John Digweed play is quality.