Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

yet another inoccent person

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
yet another inocent person dead at the hands of a crazed and derranged gun man in America, when will this man quite it!

What does everyone think the police should do when they find him? i think the govournment should bring back capital punishment and perform a public execution for this killer/s and all sex offenders too!

What do you all think should happen when they find him? be sentanced to death or put in jail or what?

Bear in mind however that if the police did get the secret message correctly he will strike at a schol next! not good.

Comments

• Options
    If he's caught it depends on the laws of the District of Columbia or Virginia, no?

I don't believe in capital punishment so I don't think he should be executed. :)
  • Options
    Apparently he has demanded $10m to stop the carnage. If it is true it would make the whole thing even more sinister in my opinion. No crime is justified but I had thought this bloke was just a fucking nutter. Now it turns up he's just trying to get rich.

What a c**t!!!
  • Options
    Thing is, unless he gets careless chances are he won't be caught. Asking for a ransom will be the first step in being caught, no matter what he thinks of, he will have to collect the money somehow.

But until then, he has left very few clues to his identity. So far the police are looking for a man, they have no other idea about who he might be.
  • Options
    I doubt he is doing it just for the money...he must be a bit deranged surely. OK so maybe he thought 'I'm gonna kill some people and then demand money' but to be able to do this killing in the first place surely indicates someone who is mentally ill or 'mad'.
    Don't believe in capital punnishment so No they shouldn't kill him but they will if the state has the death penalty.

I wonder if there is any real evidence that the shooting of the man outside the restaurant at night IS linked to the sniper. If you were going to Hit someone having a crazed sniper running around would be the perfect cover don't you think.
  • Options
    Public executions, eddie? little medieval, dontcha think?
    I mean, what good would it do anyone? odds on there'd be a riot, for a start.
    I don't think there'll be an execution if he's caught in dc/maryland because I'm fairly sure they don't have the death penalty. but if he does it in a state where they do then wherever he eventually gets busted (and surely he eventually will) he'll be executed.
    I'll tell you what - I'm passionately against the death penalty in any case, but this guy pushes me as close as I get to being for it. This is the most extraordinarily evil thing to do, and what makes it all the more horrific is that he's clearly rational - he's clearly a guy who thinks extremely clearly. At dunblane or something it's a brief, horrific spell: this guy has to think about it again each time and still carries on doing it.
  • Options
    I think his ransom maybe fake, I mean he said he will start to kill children, he has already killed a 13 year old I believe, It could be some sick bastard is wanting to get rich off this terror

I also read that he may have used a pre-recorded tape of his demands and a voice thingy (You know it messy up your voice) so that may suggest he maybe mad but not stupid!

I think it maybe he could be linked with real terrorists, and if not its just highlighted to the US how vulnerable they really are!

Maybe the sniper/snipers isn’t a ‘real terrorists’ but a mad man on a crusade to clean the street! Maybe he’s watched Taxi too many times. Whatever he is, I hope he/them are caught and killed soon!
  • Options
    MonkeyboyMonkeyboy Posts: 3 Newbie
    yeah, watching too much of Danny DeVito, Christopher Lloyd et al in late 70s NY sitcom action would drive me over the edge too ;)
  • Options
    They've just arrested two people, one reported to be the sniper himself.

Apparently he's an ex-soldier, but the fact that his surname is Muhammad will no doubt send everyone into a craze.

Apparently they caught him through fingerprints found in one of his notes. A fairly basic mistake for someone who's eluded the police so well.
  • Options
    I hope they kill him with his own gun!

I wonder if it will inspire copycat killers and give terrorist ideas.

Glad they’ve got the bastard tho!
  • Options
    People are so bloody thirsty, these days.........

You being serious Harmless, got an argument mebbe?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

Apparently he's an ex-soldier, but the fact that his surname is Muhammad will no doubt send everyone into a craze.

Not a given name, but a chosen name. Lest the significance of the difference escape you...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    People are so bloody thirsty, these days.........

You being serious Harmless, got an argument mebbe?:rolleyes:

Nope, I wasn't being serious, but in hindsight killing him with his own gun maybe a fitting way to end is life. Some sort of twisted justices.

I don’t see how you can debate on killing a man that murders people, whether his motives were geed or him being insane, or even him being a terrorist he should die.

If this gentleman they have at the moment is the sniper I hope he gets death and not a life sentence
  • Options
    The guy had a different gun than the one used in the killings.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Harmless

Nope, I wasn't being serious, but in hindsight killing him with his own gun maybe a fitting way to end is life. Some sort of twisted justices.

I don’t see how you can debate on killing a man that murders people, whether his motives were geed or him being insane, or even him being a terrorist he should die.

If this gentleman they have at the moment is the sniper I hope he gets death and not a life sentence

Mmmm - so it's only murder when he does it but not when the state does it!!! Then it's just a killing!! lovely
  • Options
    The correct term is "delivery of justice"
  • Options
    Originally posted by Harmless:
    I don’t see how you can debate on killing a man that murders people,
    Cos you can rarely ever be sure you got the right man and because of what byny said...............
  • Options
    I say an eye for an eye. If they can prove that this person is the sniper then he should be sentanced to death. This way at least, it would show other mad people that step out of line and do what this person has done they will end up dead. Make an example of this guy!!
  • Options
    :lol:

Surely the fact that they are 'mad' will mean that deterrance has no effect, I think you have just prduced an argument againmst capital punishment...........
  • Options
    I only assume he is mad. Why else kill 10 people? I still think that if this man is seen to just get a life sentance where he will get fed, walked, kept warm and dry then it aint proving a point to other 'would-be' killers that if they do something this terrible then they should expect he correct punishment. He has killed 10 people for gods sake! Surely paying for him to be in jail is a blatant waste of our money! Just kill him, it will be cheaper in the long run!
  • Options
    Cos you can rarely ever be sure you got the right man

lol I'm sure half the people in prison will agree with you there!;)
    Mmmm - so it's only murder when he does it but not when the state does it!!! Then it's just a killing!! lovely

Well yes, "The state" as you call it, is here to protect me. The sniper is working for his own cause (Whatever that maybe) So I wont see them in the same light!
  • Options
    We had a big debate on this a few months ago, not sure if you saw it.............

Fact 1.

The trial and execution of a prisoner in the US is more expensive to the taxpayer than a life imprisonment sentence.

Fact 2.

There is no correlation between the use of capital punishment and successful deterrance.
  • Options
    How can it possibly be cheaper to keep someone in jail for a life sentance (admittadly probably release them before it is over for them to go back into normal society) than it would be to give 'em a quick jab in the back of the neck etc. Or fry them in 'old sparky'!

I mean explain to me please how keeping someone is cheaper for the tax payer than killing them quickly???
  • Options

There is no correlation between the use of capital punishment and successful deterrance.

Beg to differ...

Have yet to witness a validated occurance of recidivism after the miscreant has been executed.

You show me an example, then I will gladly re-evaluate my position... ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    The guy had a different gun than the one used in the killings.....

Incorrect.

Ballistics verified (this afternoon, PDT) that the weapon siezed had been used in the murders.
  • Options
    Originally posted by sopite

Beg to differ...

Have yet to witness a validated occurance of recidivism after the miscreant has been executed.

You show me an example, then I will gladly re-evaluate my position... ;)

A man serving life imprisonment without parole is hardly going to commit further crimes against the community is he?

He might commit further crimes against fellow inmates, but then none of you lot give a shit about them anyway.

Funny how a country that is absolutely obsessed with, and driven by religious beliefs shows such disregard for human life.
  • Options

A man serving life imprisonment without parole is hardly going to commit further crimes against the community is he?.

Explain that to the citizens of Texas, thru Colorado, who dealt with a crime spree by escaped convicts who were serving life sentences... and the families of the ones they murdered during their spree...

Funny how a country that is absolutely obsessed with, and driven by religious beliefs shows such disregard for human life.

Is not a "disregard for human life", but, rather, a greater value than you would seem to possess. We put a greater value on the life of those that murderers would kill in the future, than the miscreant. You? Value the miscreant.
    Capital puninishment is a reckoning, not retribution. But then, understanding that would tax your emotionalism, would it not?
  • Options
    How often does that happen though? And cannot it be preventable? Or are you saying we should execute every single murderer in every prison in the world just in case one escapes and kills again?
  • Options
    Slightly away from that last post, but a couple of weeks ago I suggested that the sniper was likely to have been militarily trained, only to have our forces reps (former and current) suggest otherwise.

Sorry guys.

The islamic connection is just another interesting aspect of this case, and again, I have a feeling that I referred to this as possibly being connected with terrorism.

Whoops.

Perhaps you should all listen to me a little more often ;):p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Eddie_Hitler
    How can it possibly be cheaper to keep someone in jail for a life sentance (admittadly probably release them before it is over for them to go back into normal society) than it would be to give 'em a quick jab in the back of the neck etc. Or fry them in 'old sparky'!

I mean explain to me please how keeping someone is cheaper for the tax payer than killing them quickly???

It takes on average 12 years for an inmate's appeals to be heard, judged upon. On top of that are re-appeals, payment of lawyers, payment of court staff, you still have to pay whilst the inmate is on death row for prison costs e.t.c.
    It costs, on average $14,000 dollars more to kill a prisoner than it does to keep them in prison until they die of natural causes.

There is no sound argument for killing a prisoner, it is a simple act of barbaric retribution, nothing more.
    And prisoners wouldn't be able to recommit their crimes if you did a better job of locking them up.
    There are 95% less escapes of prisoners now in the UK than there were 10 years ago, with the number of escapes about 1 or 2 every 2 years. Each escape will consist of 1-4 prisoners.
    This is without arming our guards.

Maybe, the USA could learn a lesson from us? Killing a prisoner brings no benefit to society.
  • Options
    What hope there is of convincing them, when they will happily pass the death sentence for under 18's or even those with mental disabilities!

Not to mention that they chose to elect one of the biggest executioners in the history of the US as their President.