Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Pill - Legitimate experience question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Dear All

A friend of mine (26) has just gone back on the pill after a year or so off it. Now she has never had bad period problems, and has been on and off the pill all her adult life, its just that this time she is experiencing problems. Now before I describe them, there is no point her going to the doctor coz she has said he will tell her to give it time to settle down, and also your answers are for me, and not directly for her.

She takes the pill on the first day of her period (early) she starts to get period pains and has a very heavy period. She starts to retain fluid, her belly swells up, and she feels very faint a lot of the time (I know about blood loss and iron suppliments), not to mention bloated. This lasts a week, although the bleeding stops after a few days, now, some 3 weeks later she gets her period (I know that its meant to come early in the second month) but now shes blown up again and is having the same symptoms.

Anyone experience this or similar, obviously women get period pains and other symptoms of various degrees, but read the first paragraph.

Tanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    I don't know if this relates or not... one of my friends decided to try the birth control shot (that you do once every six months I think) rather than the pill. It was miserable for her- she got her period all the time and it was really painful but there was nothing that they could do about it.

Basically the doctor just told her that she had a bad reaction to it and that she should go back to the pill. Maybe your friend needs to switch to a different brand of the pill?

As I said though, I'm not too sure that this relates exactly to the actual problem...
  • Options
    Her GP should take her seriously. But it does sometimes take time to settle down. It could be a sign of something else, such as endometriosis. Go to www.endo.org.uk/info.html
  • Options
    What do you mean she takes the pill on the first day of her period? Is this the combination or mini pill. You have your period when you stop taking the pill for a week every month!! Can you explain more clearly what you mean?
  • Options
    Firstly to answer byny's question, I think that with most pills doctors advise you to take the first one on the first day of your next period so that way you are covered against pregnancy right from the beginning.

As for the original question, it could just be that the hormone quantities in the pill that your friend is on are not agreeing with her system. I know that you said that she has been on and off the pill all of her life but you know what hormones are like!!! As for the bloatedness this is actually quite a common side effect of the pill and can be controlled through the use of a diuretic (water tablet). When I have been on the pill before I was always told to allow it 3-6 months to settle down which I would suggest she does. After that though, I wouldn't take any crap from a doctor. The pill is supposed to take away the hassle of periods not make it worse.

Hope that helps. xxx
  • Options
    Thanks Guys, like you said hormones are a little tricky to predict, and so a pill type that was ok in may is now causing side effects when restarted in oct! Month off the pill, then different one next month is the course of action.

Thanks again for the posts.

D
  • Options
    Is it the same type of pill that she was on before...After my daughter was born i went back on my usual brand and i was bleeding irregularly....after 2 more switches i found a new brand that was ok...as far as i understand it if you're bleeding irregular the pill isn't effective. My doctor didn't make me wait...he switched my pills right away