Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Difference Between a Liberal and a Conservative.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Question: You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, a dangerous looking man with a huge knife comes around the corner and is running at you while screaming obscenities. In your hand is a .357 Magnum and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family.

What do you do?

Liberal Answer: Well that's not enough information to answer the question!

1. Does the man look poor or oppressed?
2. Have I ever done anything to him that is inspiring him to attack?
3. Could we run away? What does my wife think?
4. What about the kids?
5. Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand?
6. What does the law say about this situation?
7. Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me?
8. Does he definitely want to kill me or would he just be content to wound me?
9. If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me?

This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for a few days to try to come to a conclusion.

Conservative Answer:

Blow him into the next zip code.

The truth can be humorous..

Comments

• Options
    :lol: :thumb:

10. Could I swap my gun with his knife? (After all... Should be fair, and only the gun is dangerous)
  • Options
    Kneecap him.

But dont get into another fucking gun debate, theyre illegal and arent likely to be legalised. So its a waste of time.

I feel safer in the UK (no legal guns) than the USA (legal guns, random snipers, frequent school shootings) any day though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Kneecap him.

You can try. Bet he guts you...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I feel safer in the UK (no legal guns) than the USA (legal guns, random snipers, frequent school shootings) any day though.

Don't, violent street crime in the UK has surpassed violent crime in US cities...

This was not posted as a "gun issue," it was posted to point out a mindset difference between liberals and conservatives...

It was also posted as humor...
    And I'll bet our "naive" Danish girl knew that..
  • Options
    American political ideologies are weird, to say the least. Don't all US conservatives throw a fit if they hear of something that contravenes the 'moral fibre' of society...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by onenatcons
    American political ideologies are weird, to say the least. Don't all US conservatives throw a fit if they hear of something that contravenes the 'moral fibre' of society...:rolleyes:

YOU'RE commenting on weird political idiologies? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

YOU'RE commenting on weird political idiologies? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

What's weird about my political views? :)
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options

What's weird about my political views? :)

I believe there have already been a couple of threads on that subject... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Re: The Difference Between a Liberal and a Conservative.

that's quite funny. complete bollocks, but admittedly quite funny. (it's easy to do, though. I might have a go.)

Question: you are holding a gun. A man is walking -
    conservative answer: shoot him! shoot the fucker now! he's black, isn't he? take him down! ten-four!
    Aggah! I was in nam! aggh! shoot the bastard shoot him now kill kill death kill!

probably equally inaccurate...
  • Options

Answer? No.

If you examine an emotionally charged issue, for example abortion, both conservatives and liberals get emotional..

Don't people do that in the UK?

Actually, here it seems more often that liberals get their pantys in a wad over everything.

Edit:
    Actually saying "here it seems more often that liberals get their pantys in a wad over nothing."

They want to ignore the facts and make everything some sort of emotional issue..
    Sound familar? :p
  • Options
    But US liberals don't reckon that people should adhere to 'morals'. A good proportion of conservatives do. :)
  • Options
    Do you mean that they debate and discuss the issue and have to think about rather than going with the gut reaction? :eek:
  • Options
    Toadborg
    Actually going with the kneejerk reaction is exactly what US liberals do..

Ignore facts and go to kneejerk emotional arguments.

onenatcons:
    Each has their own definition of the moral path they expect you to follow..

So yes you are half correct, both liberals and conservatives want you to live their way, its you agree with the one, not the other.

Point is, personally I'll tend to my own and suggest both of them do the same..

If some one says drink beer and another says don;t drink beer.. Depending on if you like beer or not, will decide which side is trying to tell you how to live.

With beer? I don't drink beer, I don't like the taste of most beers. OTOH I do drink scotch, burbon and rum.. Again the point is its my life to live and depending on the issue, either side can be annoying as hell..
  • Options
    Well gee doesn't that make the original joke a bit mistaken then?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Well gee doesn't that make the original joke a bit mistaken then?

Don't think so. In this country its a majority of liberals that would come up with 20 reasons why not and a majority of conservatives that would say shoot him..

Most liberals say a person is not responsible for their own actions and most conservatives say they are...

Sort of like cigarettes, a liberal says its the tobacco companies fault, a conservative says it has said hazardous to your health on the pack for the last 30 years, obviously you ignored it...

The liberal then says the conservative is so hardened and unfeeling.

Me? I say its shame on you if you can't read or refuse to pay attention.. :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by reverse
    Liberal Answer: Well that's not enough information to answer the question!
    There's only one question a liberal, or anyone else, needs to ask. 'Is this man threatening the lives of me and my family?' If the answer is yes, then shoot the bastard.

Hey, are we answering rhetorical questions now? Cos Aladdin had a doozy a while back. Something about obeying orders to shoot civilians...
  • Options
    Re: Re: The Difference Between a Liberal and a Conservative.
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    Hey, are we answering rhetorical questions now? Cos Aladdin had a doozy a while back. Something about obeying orders to shoot civilians...

Read the correct answer below..
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    There's only one question a liberal, or anyone else, needs to ask. 'Is this man threatening the lives of me and my family?' If the answer is yes, then shoot the bastard.

That is the correct answer, however as an answer its rhetorical for you, practical for me.

Point is, in combat IF you are attacking my Team? You aren't exactly a civilian, you are a combatant..

No one answered alladin's question because it was not rhetorical, only stupid.
  • Options
    No one answered my question because most of the people concerned would not, under any circumstances, answer the original and very simple question "do you condemn Israeli soldiers killing unarmed children or shooting at ambulance crews".
    I think any observer of that thread has got a very good idea of the real reason why these people would not answer such simple question.

Back to this thread topic, however, the joke posted is exactly that- a humorous piece. In real life most people, liberal or not, would shoot at a madman threatening his life or his family's.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

Back to this thread topic, however, the joke posted is exactly that- a humorous piece. In real life most people, liberal or not, would shoot at a madman threatening his life or his family's.

And most liberals would probably think that this act was un-acceptable, when going through it in a rhetorical way. While a conservative often know what his own human-life is worth.

At least that's the impression I have got from my discussions dealing with this topic.
  • Options
    I cannot think of a single 'liberal' person, public figure or otherwise, who would find unacceptable killing a madman in self-defence or to protect his family's lives.

However, so-called liberals- or decent folk in my book- would object to the killing of a person if no life was endangered; for instance the shooting in the back of a retreating 16-year old would-be burglar as it was the case in Britain a couple of years ago.

I read somewhere that in Texas there is a club that will award $5,000 to any of its members who shoots dead an intruder. I'm pretty sure many folk who detest and mock 'liberals' see nothing wrong with this.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    No one answered my question because most of the people concerned would not, under any circumstances, answer the original and very simple question "do you condemn Israeli soldiers killing unarmed children or shooting at ambulance crews".
    I think any observer of that thread has got a very good idea of the real reason why these people would not answer such simple question.

I suggest you go back and reread what you wrote. The question was answered. You just don't like the answer.
  • Options
    But US liberals don't reckon that people should adhere to 'morals'. A good proportion of conservatives do. :)

No?

How about..

"You shouldn't own guns. It's wrong."

"The government should make sure everyone has a job. It's only right."

"Cigarettes should be banned. It's for the children."

"It is the moral right of everyone to have access to health care."

All look like morals to me.

Using US definitions of conservative and liberal, the real difference in the bulk of the adherrents of each side of the political spectrum is that conservatives put more emphasis on responsibility, and liberals put more emphasis on knowing what is good for everyone. There are some basic contradictions in the platforms of both major parties.
  • Options
    I was not using morals in that context, arsewipe. :)
    You shouldn't own guns. It's wrong."

Guns are property. The right to property is a HUMAN RIGHT!!!! :)

Besides, most people who claim to be overly ethical are gross hypocrites. I long for the days when my political views will be implemented. :D;)
  • Options

Guns are property. The right to property is a HUMAN RIGHT!!!! :)

Besides, most people who claim to be overly ethical are gross hypocrites. I long for the days when my political views will be implemented. :D;)

Yeah, right. Been playing with your dictionary again?
  • Options
    Originally posted by reverse

What do you do?..

You forgot the OBVIOUS #11:

All join hands, bring the miscreant into a group hug, and begin an emotional chorus with the endless refrain with the same bullshit line of "Can't we just give peace a chance?"

:rolleyes:
  • Options

The child is feeling soooo full of himself, wouldn't you think, Greenhat?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    And most liberals would probably think that this act was un-acceptable, when going through it in a rhetorical way. While a conservative often know what his own human-life is worth.

At least that's the impression I have got from my discussions dealing with this topic.
    Want to find a handful of liberals who'll actually back up that rather generalised assertion before you make it? The impression I've got from my dealings with the topic is that it's conservatives who are afraid of rhetorical questions, as well as being keen to encourage a stereotypical view of leftwingers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    "You shouldn't own guns. It's wrong."

"The government should make sure everyone has a job. It's only right."

"Cigarettes should be banned. It's for the children."

"It is the moral right of everyone to have access to health care."
    Which one of the four statements above, in spite of appearing in quotation marks, was not uttered by an actual liberal. (scroll down for answer)

The answer is the first one, of course. Also the second, third and forth ;)